Episode 321 - ERIN

Bonanza Season 10 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 321 - ERIN

Post by Episode Guide »

Date: January 26, 1969

Summary: Hoss finds some Indians with one of their cows and meets Erin, an Irish woman raised by the Sioux Indians. She trades Hoss’ horses for the cow that the Indians took. Hoss and Erin fall in Love and plan to marry but bigotry and superstition loom over their Love.

Written by: Sandy Summerhays
Directed by: Don Richardson
Guest Stars:Mary Fickett (Erin O'Donnell)

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy. Images from Bonanza Boomers Gallery.
snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Re: Episode 321 - ERIN

Post by snapdragon »

This was a nice romance story for Hoss, but I had a real problem with the leading lady and how the locals hated her and called her a "half-breed" or a "white Indian" when she could've easily passed as white. There was nothing remotely Indian about her. She was raised by the Sioux since she was a child but she still spoke with an Irish brogue? Even her blonde hair was nicely combed and styled the way any white woman would've worn her hair. :think I'll put it this way: Dawn Wells made for a more convincing Indian than this lady.

I swear, every time I see a white person trying to pass off as Indian, I cringe and think of PR's words. The only actor who could successfully pull off being a "half-breed" on this show was Charles Bronson, IMO.

Dammit all, Pernell, you were right.
AgnethaF
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 398
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Halloween Art 2022 Time For A Comm'l Break 2022
Break The Record Level 1 September Song 2022 David Canary Birthday 2022 GameNight #15 (2022) ~ Level 2
GameNight #15 (2022) ~ Level 1 Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 BINGO Participant Summer 2022 BINGO Snail Summer 2022
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2022 Laundry 2022 Oscar Chat 2022 St. Patrick's Day Limerick '22

View all badges

Post by AgnethaF »

Mary Fickett, who played Erin went on to play Ruth Martin on "All My Children." When I first saw that episode, I thought wow, it's Ruth from All My Children!
:bejules Proud member of BHA
Wisconsin Lady
"I'm never satisfied with my own work." Pernell Roberts.
"I'm with you every step of the way, Pa.. Right down the aisle." Adam The Burma Rarity
:dgIn Memory Of Dougsgirl
daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 222
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Break The Record Level 2 GameNight #15 (2022) ~ Level 1
Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Fun With Captions Level 3 Welcome Home 2022 BINGO Participant Summer 2022
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2022 30,000 Posts Laundry 2022 Oscar Chat 2022
St. Patrick's Day Limerick '22 More Fun With 2's Lorne Greene Birthday 2022 Participant VDay BINGO 2022

View all badges

Post by daisy60 »

The episode is ok but she just wasn't convincing enough as someone who was raised by the Indians. Wasn't she also Archie Bunker's neighbor at one time?
ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 191
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator Participant VDay BINGO 2022 Snail VDay BINGO 2022 Fun With 2's
Happy 14th Anniversary Merry Christmas 2021 Game Night 2021 Level 1 Tried and True
BINGO Spare Summer 2021 BINGO Participant Summer 2021 BINGO L Spring/Summer 2021 BINGO Gutterball Summer 2021
BINGO Snail Summer 2021 Chat Host New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Christmas 2020

View all badges

Post by ellie »

My understanding is that she was old enough to have already established her Irish brogue before she and her father went to live with the Sioux. So her brogue doesn't bother me at all.

Erin is my favorite Hoss Romance. She was strong, not the typical weak female that the writers always threw at the Cartwrights. I've even written a mini-fic that had Erin live, marry Hoss and have children. Sadly, my muse forced Erin to out-live Hoss. :sob
ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 151
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Laundry 2022
Oscar Chat 2022 Chinese New Year 2022 Without A Trace 10 Merry Christmas 2021
Cryptic Carols ~ Puzzlers 2021 Christmas Bauble 2021 Thanksgiving 2021 Stepping Into Character
Oscar Chat 2021 13th Anniversary Christmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020

View all badges

Post by ellen »

I don't think her character had Indian ancestry, did she?

Since her early English exposure was from someone with an Irish accent, and she was isolated from other English speakers when she lived with the Sioux, I can see where she would still speak with an accent. Henry Kissinger has been in the US for most of his life - since 1938! - but still has his accent.

And as for her hair - welcome to Bonanza, where women's hair was (obviously) a low priority! Or men's hair, for that matter. At least they didn't make her wear that orange lipstick!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers
Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 387
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 38 Break The Record Level 1 September Song 2022
Bonanza Ballads Level 37 Bonanza Ballads Level 36 Reader's Choice Level 10 Bonanza Ballads Level 35
Laundry 2022 Bonanza Ballads Level 34 Bonanza Ballads Level 33 Fun With 2's
Without A Trace 10 Bonanza Ballads Level 32 Happy 14th Anniversary Merry Christmas 2021

View all badges

Post by Tracy »

This episode bothers me, too. Not the Irish brogue, not the actress, not the character's strength and independence.

Love is a two way deal, IMO. Hoss was willing to support Erin's Indian ways and beliefs and to defend her to anyone who did not. That's love. Erin, on the other hand, IMO, wasn't willing to give Hoss's declarations a chance to work or fail -- she just assumed they'd fail, talked about how awful many white people were, how they'd never accept her. If she'd spent most of her life with the Indians, how could she know this? Is it common talk among the Indians? Did they threaten her with that, telling her she could never go back? If so, why was she so invested in being one of them?
Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity »

I think that if they hadn't done her in that she and Hoss would have made a wonderful couple.She was a strong, moral woman who could have been involved in many future plot lines. Even Adam would have approved. :yes
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬
ljlover2001
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 30
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joseph

100 Posts Episode Summary Cock & Bull So You Think You Know Bonanza
Fun with 1's Break the record (expired) Valentine's Day 2010 Valentine's Day 2011
Letters to Santa 2012 Meet and greet chat Meet and greet chat Stuffed in chat
Chat Badge Fun Lorne Greene's Birthday 2010 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2011 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2013

View all badges

Post by ljlover2001 »

Erin was the best choice for a wife for Hoss and I wrote a story that had them married.
She wasn't supposed to be an Indian. The back story was that her father had been a friend of the Indians and she had been raised amongst them, with her father, so she knew all about their customs and beliefs and had sympathy for the way their lives were being ruined by the white man.
I think she did love Hoss, but feared that the prejudices aimed at her, by other white people, would hurt Hoss and his family.
It was so sad when she died, he was so cut up
Little Joe forever
Lynne
Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Fun With Captions Level 2 Break The Record Level 1 September Song 2022 Fun with Captions Level 1
More Fun With 2's Happy 14th Anniversary 10th Anniversary Letter X Mike Landon Birthday 2021
September Song 2021 Don't Blink 1,000 Posts Group Member
Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs 100 Posts

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl »

Saw this today. The worst of the broken-hearted Hoss eps, imo, I find it quite a bore. I hated her Irish accent and it didn't make sense that she was so unindian-like after all those years with them. Billy in The Beginning was a much more convincing white man who'd been brought up by indians, but she was like she'd just stepped right out of the pub! :no
Best line was when she said, "I like these shoes", which did make me smile.
Why on earth were they trying to break that bronc in the yard with no fence around it rather than in the coral?!?! It made no sense at all. Twice they did it and it could have just run off and never been caught again and would have had that saddle stuck on it for the rest of it's days!! :ohmy
a.JPG
a.JPG (33.45 KiB) Viewed 308 times
When Hoss and Erin were in the barn and Murray came in, if he was looking for Ben, why didn't he go to the house? :shrug
"The lady's gonna be my wife" proclaims Hoss! He hadn't even asked her and she hadn't even said yes and then Ben came in and he said, let's get the champagne, well again, she hadn't even said she would marry him! Would have been nice to actually ask her first rather than just assuming! :no

Return to “Season 10”