Episode 230 - THE UNWRITTEN COMMANDMENT

Bonanza Season 7 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 230 - THE UNWRITTEN COMMANDMENT

Post by Episode Guide »

Date: April 10, 1966

Summary: Ben tries to reconcile a rancher and his son, a boy who is a gifted singer.

Written by: Joe Pagano, William Blinn and Dan Ullman
Directed by:Gerd Oswald
Guest Stars: Andy Walker...Wayne Newton Miss Lily...Ann Jefferys Willard Walker...Malcolm Atterbury Mike...Jerry Newton Reverend Porter...Robert Cleaves Bartender...Cosmo Sardo Bill Clark...(uncredited stunt double)

unwritten commandment.gif
unwritten commandment.gif (5.49 MiB) Viewed 8187 times

Slideshow courtesy of Shaggy1581
Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All

Re: Episode 230 - THE UNWRITTEN COMMANDMENT

Post by Dagburnit »

Personally I didn't like this episode at all. And it wasn't just because of Wayne Newton who I don't like either. The theme of the story was a bit dumb. At least we know that Adam is still thought about even while he's in Europe.

Slideshow courtesy of Shaggy1581
Janet the Wicked
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 56
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Ponderosa Nightmares 2022 Reader's Choice Level 6
5,000 Posts Halloween Art 2022 Time For A Comm'l Break 2022 Reader's Choice Level 5
David Canary Birthday 2022 Reader's Choice Level 4 Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Welcome Home 2022
Reader's Choice Level 3 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2022 Reader's Choice Level 2 Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked »

Tuned into MeTV this afternoon and was taken by surprise when I saw Wayne Newton appear. He made about a zillion appearances on television back in the day. A very popular showman. And in that time period, it seemed like anybody who recorded smash hits was suddenly cast in a western show or movie. For some it worked out, others it didn't. Roy Orbison comes to mind. He was an excellent singer, but no actor. In Wayne's case, and this is just my own opinion, I thought he had acting talent.
You know it's a shame they don't make people like him anymore, there are no variety shows of the type we grew up with. And believe or not, and I have no idea why, but the celebrity roasts - Dean Martin and Don Rickles - all those guys - are becoming popular once more. Seems like everybody at work has been tuning into YouTube to watch these old shows. And forget about Bonanza. One mention of the show and everybody knows what I'm talking about. I have several photos of Adam in my office. My supervisor calls it my Adam shrine. But it's amazing the number of people that come into my office and recognize Adam and talk about Bonanza.
Anyway, it was quite a treat to see Wayne Newton on Bonanza.
Honorable mention of Adam in France.
“I love the sound of your voice. It’s so friendly and reassuring like a lighthouse horn at night.” Elizabeth, My Love

"WHAT IN TARNATION'S GOING ON DOWN THERE?? Now listen to me. GET TO BED!!" Flapjack Contest
daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 222
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Break The Record Level 2 GameNight #15 (2022) ~ Level 1
Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Fun With Captions Level 3 Welcome Home 2022 BINGO Participant Summer 2022
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2022 30,000 Posts Laundry 2022 Oscar Chat 2022
St. Patrick's Day Limerick '22 More Fun With 2's Lorne Greene Birthday 2022 Participant VDay BINGO 2022

View all badges

Post by daisy60 »

I like both episodes with Wayne Newton. He later appears again in A Christmas Story, singing a duet with Ben. My favorite part is when Hoss tries to sing Danny Boy and Ben and Joe sneak back down the stairs behind him. Poor Hoss! Wayne sang several songs, which I didn't appreciate when this was first shown in 1966 [ I was a Beatles fan] but now I love hearing him sing. :thumbup
flabirder
Drover
Drover
Badges: 58
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Reader's Choice Level 7 Don't Blink
Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Reader's Choice Level 6 BINGO Participant Summer 2022 BINGO Winner Summer 2022
Reader's Choice Level 5 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2022 More Fun With 2's Reader's Choice Level 4
Participant VDay BINGO 2022 Gutterball VDay BINGO 2022 Fun With 2's Journeys Untold

View all badges

Post by flabirder »

This is one of the few post season 6 episodes I watch. I love listening to Wayne Newton sing. I felt sorry for Andy about the way his father was treating him. I've heard of people, who when their spouse dies, get rid of everything that remind them of their spouse. Andy's father is one of those people. He's become very bitter. Work is the only thing that's important to him, his wife got in his way with her singing and head in the clouds, singing and laughter are sins and church is a waste of time. I love how the Cartwrights & Lilly tried to help Andy & finally succeeded. I thought Hoss trying to play Adam's guitar & sing was funny. I wonder if Adam would have laughed at him like Ben & Joe did. One thing that struck me about this episode is, when Andy was playing Adam's guitar & singing Danny Boy, Ben had this look on his face, almost as though he was picturing Adam standing there with the guitar instead of Andy.
Is that all you can think of at a time like this, cake??? (Ben to Hoss in A Knight to Remember.)
Peasants! (Adam in A Knight to Remember.)
Anything to get rid of you. (Adam to Joe in Dead and Gone.)
:dg In loving memory of dougsgirl. You have left us for that great ranch in the sky but we will never forget you.
Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Fun With Captions Level 2 Break The Record Level 1 September Song 2022 Fun with Captions Level 1
More Fun With 2's Happy 14th Anniversary 10th Anniversary Letter X Mike Landon Birthday 2021
September Song 2021 Don't Blink 1,000 Posts Group Member
Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs 100 Posts

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl »

Saw this today for the first time. Far too mawkish to me, I'm afraid. I personally can't stand the crooning eps, all the singing and sentimentality just grate on me. My favourite part was when Ben was talking to the father about building his fence high so nobody could get through or look over and see how lonely he was. I felt sorry for the father more than for the son really. I thought Wayne Newton did a good job, but this kind of ep is just not for me.
Janet the Wicked
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 56
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Ponderosa Nightmares 2022 Reader's Choice Level 6
5,000 Posts Halloween Art 2022 Time For A Comm'l Break 2022 Reader's Choice Level 5
David Canary Birthday 2022 Reader's Choice Level 4 Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Welcome Home 2022
Reader's Choice Level 3 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2022 Reader's Choice Level 2 Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked »

I was watching this episode last night and saw Jerry Newton's name in the credits and I wondered if this was Wayne's brother. And it is.
He was in A Christmas Story as well as the organ player at the party.

The_Unwritten_Commandment_09.jpg
The_Unwritten_Commandment_09.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 492 times
“I love the sound of your voice. It’s so friendly and reassuring like a lighthouse horn at night.” Elizabeth, My Love

"WHAT IN TARNATION'S GOING ON DOWN THERE?? Now listen to me. GET TO BED!!" Flapjack Contest
ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 151

Forum Moderator Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Laundry 2022
Oscar Chat 2022 Chinese New Year 2022 Without A Trace 10 Merry Christmas 2021
Cryptic Carols ~ Puzzlers 2021 Christmas Bauble 2021 Thanksgiving 2021 Stepping Into Character
Oscar Chat 2021 13th Anniversary Christmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020

View all badges

Post by ellen »

Good catch! I can see the family resemblance.

I found this article about the brothers reconciling before Jerry's death. Apparently they were estranged for 20 years.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertain ... her-jerry/

(Wayne looks awful - that hair dye and plastic surgery has done him no favors)
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers
daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 222
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Break The Record Level 2 GameNight #15 (2022) ~ Level 1
Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Fun With Captions Level 3 Welcome Home 2022 BINGO Participant Summer 2022
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2022 30,000 Posts Laundry 2022 Oscar Chat 2022
St. Patrick's Day Limerick '22 More Fun With 2's Lorne Greene Birthday 2022 Participant VDay BINGO 2022

View all badges

Post by daisy60 »

Janet the Wicked wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:31 am I was watching this episode last night and saw Jerry Newton's name in the credits and I wondered if this was Wayne's brother. And it is.
He was in A Christmas Story as well as the organ player at the party.

The_Unwritten_Commandment_09.jpg

Oh, I never made the connection. He was a good addition for both episodes. That's sad that they were estranged. Wayne obviously had too much work done, which makes him look older. The black hair makes it worse! :whistling
flabirder
Drover
Drover
Badges: 58

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Reader's Choice Level 7 Don't Blink
Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Reader's Choice Level 6 BINGO Participant Summer 2022 BINGO Winner Summer 2022
Reader's Choice Level 5 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2022 More Fun With 2's Reader's Choice Level 4
Participant VDay BINGO 2022 Gutterball VDay BINGO 2022 Fun With 2's Journeys Untold

View all badges

Post by flabirder »

ellen wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:09 am Good catch! I can see the family resemblance.

I found this article about the brothers reconciling before Jerry's death. Apparently they were estranged for 20 years.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertain ... her-jerry/

(Wayne looks awful - that hair dye and plastic surgery has done him no favors)

I looked at that picture & Wayne looks awful. It hardly looks like him at all.
Is that all you can think of at a time like this, cake??? (Ben to Hoss in A Knight to Remember.)
Peasants! (Adam in A Knight to Remember.)
Anything to get rid of you. (Adam to Joe in Dead and Gone.)
:dg In loving memory of dougsgirl. You have left us for that great ranch in the sky but we will never forget you.

Return to “Season 7”