Episode 203 - THE DEBT

Bonanza Season 7 Episodes
littlejoenice
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 266
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Ponderosa Nightmares 2022 Time For A Comm'l Break 2022 Halloween Art 2022 Bonanza Ballads Level 30
Break The Record Level 1 September Song 2022 Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 BINGO Participant Summer 2022
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2022 BINGO Strike Summer 2022 Bonanza Ballads Level 29 Bonanza Ballads Level 28
More Fun With 2's Participant VDay BINGO 2022 Gutterball VDay BINGO 2022 Without A Trace 10

View all badges

Re: Episode 203 - THE DEBT

Post by littlejoenice »

This episode was kind of strange to me. I mean, you had Wiley, who was trying to work off his father's debts just so they could have a decent name in society when Annie couldn't even read. He hated his father while Annie loved him and was willing to do just about anything for him. Tommy Sands was terrific, and not having waited for the credits, I wasn't aware that that was Brooke Bundy. It took me a while to figure out where I'd seen Sam Kane before, and then I remembered. It was in the Bonanza episode, Mirror of a Man, and he played Homer/Jud Lolly's father.

I love the scene where Joe is trying to explain the spelling of different words and keeps getting her even more confused than she already was. Bow/bow, bough. :laughing However, it was one of those fast-paced episodes I'm rather fond of. Blink and you'll miss something, is what I felt about it.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."
Jim Barnsby
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Post by Jim Barnsby »

I agree that The Debt is indeed an odd episode, especially for a season opener. It's all the more odd with it being the first episode of Bonanza's Brave New World without ol' Lean-O in the cast (though he is mentioned).

Tommy Sands was a pretty good actor. He was especially good as a nightclub singer/cat burglar in the season one Hawaii Five-0 episode, No Blue Skies. Brooke Bundy is always a welcome presence in 1960s TV. The geographic scenery is markedly improved over that of previous seasons, something that I have come to associate with the season 7-and-on era. I am a huge Adam fan, but I find much to love about the seasons after his departure; I'm probably the *only* Adam fan who does!

Okay, obviously I am not since Bonanza continued to be the #1 show on television for this and next season. Many fans missed Adam, but not enough to keep Bonanza from the top of the ratings. I wonder if "The Cult of Adam" developed later, during syndication, since his episodes were the ones most often seen in the post-1973 era up until The so-called Lost Episodes "became a thing", as the kids say.

I associate The Debt with Hallmark Channel's ever-so-brief airing of Bonanza on weekdays at noon. This must have been in 2006 or so. What's odd about it is that Hallmark only had Bonanza on at that time slot for about four days before they yanked it without explanation.

My Rating: 4/10
ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 153

Forum Moderator Christmas Music 2022 Christmas Recipes 2022 Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022
Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Laundry 2022 Oscar Chat 2022 Chinese New Year 2022
Without A Trace 10 Merry Christmas 2021 Cryptic Carols ~ Puzzlers 2021 Christmas Bauble 2021
Thanksgiving 2021 Stepping Into Character Oscar Chat 2021 13th Anniversary

View all badges

Post by ellen »

Jim Barnsby wrote: The geographic scenery is markedly improved over that of previous seasons, something that I have come to associate with the season 7-and-on era. I am a huge Adam fan, but I find much to love about the seasons after his departure; I'm probably the *only* Adam fan who does!
I think they did seem to film more out on location. I love seeing the beautiful scenery.

My opinion: the show changed after Adam left; not necessarily in season 7 but a couple seasons later. But this wasn't entirely due to Adam; TV in general was changing to more emotion and less violence. Occasionally I'll be watching a later episode and notice that the bad guys aren't getting shot, they're getting knocked out or a Cartwright simply "got the drop on them."
Jim Barnsby wrote:Okay, obviously I am not since Bonanza continued to be the #1 show on television for this and next season. Many fans missed Adam, but not enough to keep Bonanza from the top of the ratings. I wonder if "The Cult of Adam" developed later, during syndication, since his episodes were the ones most often seen in the post-1973 era up until The so-called Lost Episodes "became a thing", as the kids say.
I think you're right that part of the "Cult of Adam" came about because the earlier episodes were more often aired. But the internet and sites like this probably have a lot to do with it too!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers
Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Fun With Captions Level 2 Break The Record Level 1 September Song 2022 Fun with Captions Level 1
More Fun With 2's Happy 14th Anniversary 10th Anniversary Letter X Mike Landon Birthday 2021
September Song 2021 Don't Blink 1,000 Posts Group Member
Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs 100 Posts

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl »

I watched this ep for the first time the other day. I quite enjoyed it, despite the many questions I had! :laughing The girl wasn't such a saint, as she seemed to have no qualms about dumping her brother at the drop of a hat and running off with her dad without even a by your leave. Brother sure was intense, but I did feel sorry for him nearer the end and felt he was justified in his feelings. Dad, despite pleading innocence, I think he was just saying that to manipulate his daughter so she'd help him, but I think he did look suitably ashamed of himself at the end. Lucky Joe didn't introduce the concept of 'beau' into the reading lesson! :laughing Some nice stunts from ML. :thumbup
dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 325

BINGO Spare Summer 2021 BINGO Participant Summer 2021 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2021 Bonanza Ballads Level 11
Haiku Poem 2021 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Lorne Greene Birthday 2021 60,000 Posts
13th Anniversary Organizing Secrets Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021
Christmas 2020 BINGO Participant xmas 2020 BINGO Winner Christmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020

View all badges

Post by dougsgirl »

This was a different kind of ep. I too just watched it the other night. I don't like when another person tries to stop someone else from doing something, meaning Joe was doing a good thing helping Annie read, but Wiley didn't like it.
The scene with Joe explaining how even though words rhyme, doesn't mean they are spelt together. I remember an ep of I Love Lucy where she is trying to teach Ricky different words, it was funny. English is a hard language.
Tommy Sands use to be a singer in the 60's and was married to Nancy Sinatra briefly. Frank did Tommy wrong.
daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 222
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Break The Record Level 2 GameNight #15 (2022) ~ Level 1
Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Fun With Captions Level 3 Welcome Home 2022 BINGO Participant Summer 2022
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2022 30,000 Posts Laundry 2022 Oscar Chat 2022
St. Patrick's Day Limerick '22 More Fun With 2's Lorne Greene Birthday 2022 Participant VDay BINGO 2022

View all badges

Post by daisy60 »

It was hard for Joe to explain to Annie some words sound the same but are spelled different. She thought he was teasing her. The worse was her brother, not wanting her to learn to read. If she learned to read he couldn't control her as well. I do remember Tommy Sands as a singer many years ago. He became a pretty good actor as well. :thumbup
Janet the Wicked
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 56
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Ponderosa Nightmares 2022 Reader's Choice Level 6
5,000 Posts Halloween Art 2022 Time For A Comm'l Break 2022 Reader's Choice Level 5
David Canary Birthday 2022 Reader's Choice Level 4 Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Welcome Home 2022
Reader's Choice Level 3 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2022 Reader's Choice Level 2 Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked »

Insomnia Janet was up early. The Inspiration Channel is running the show at 3:00 AM my time, so it was like a soothing balm in the middle of the night. The intro was the lost episodes. I noticed LG was still looking good, so I figured it had to be not quite up to season 10 yet and I was right. I thought the lost episodes were much later, but what the hell do I know. I was on the edge of my seat with the Kane thing and then I was like, what??? Anybody, any fan of the show deserves better than this. Continuity, people. Did you forget about continuity?
Here we have Ben opening the door to total strangers and a guest bedroom to boot. Way to go, Ben. Man, if I was an out of towner and heard about this, I would be all over that action. Howdy do, Mr. Cartwright, or may I call you Ben? I hear you have free room and board here for any length of time that I so desire. Show me a room and have your man draw me a bath. I'll be taking a nap, so be sure to wake me for supper. What a sap!
I turned off the episode after a while and went back to bed. I just couldn't get interested. Oh. The girl's hair. I don't know what episode they decided to not give a wham and let the sixties hair style be okay, but it doesn't go over well with me. I can dig that the girl didn't have the means to fuss over her hairstyle, but I think she would at least have pinned it up. It would have made her appearance more realistic for the time period.
“I love the sound of your voice. It’s so friendly and reassuring like a lighthouse horn at night.” Elizabeth, My Love

"WHAT IN TARNATION'S GOING ON DOWN THERE?? Now listen to me. GET TO BED!!" Flapjack Contest
daisy60
Rancher
Rancher

Thanksgiving Puzzler 2022 Mike Landon Birthday 2022 Break The Record Level 2 GameNight #15 (2022) ~ Level 1
Guess the Guest Star # 4~ 2022 Fun With Captions Level 3 Welcome Home 2022 BINGO Participant Summer 2022
St. Patrick's Day Limerick '22 More Fun With 2's Lorne Greene Birthday 2022 Participant VDay BINGO 2022

View all badges

Post by daisy60 »

Janet the Wicked wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:14 am Insomnia Janet was up early. The Inspiration Channel is running the show at 3:00 AM my time, so it was like a soothing balm in the middle of the night. The intro was the lost episodes. I noticed LG was still looking good, so I figured it had to be not quite up to season 10 yet and I was right. I thought the lost episodes were much later, but what the hell do I know. I was on the edge of my seat with the Kane thing and then I was like, what??? Anybody, any fan of the show deserves better than this. Continuity, people. Did you forget about continuity?
Here we have Ben opening the door to total strangers and a guest bedroom to boot. Way to go, Ben. Man, if I was an out of towner and heard about this, I would be all over that action. Howdy do, Mr. Cartwright, or may I call you Ben? I hear you have free room and board here for any length of time that I so desire. Show me a room and have your man draw me a bath. I'll be taking a nap, so be sure to wake me for supper. What a sap!
I turned off the episode after a while and went back to bed. I just couldn't get interested. Oh. The girl's hair. I don't know what episode they decided to not give a wham and let the sixties hair style be okay, but it doesn't go over well with me. I can dig that the girl didn't have the means to fuss over her hairstyle, but I think she would at least have pinned it up. It would have made her appearance more realistic for the time period.

Insomnia has been with me most of my life. My mom tried to get sleeping pills for me when I was 5yrs. old because I'd wake up with nightmares. I'm usually up by 1am but Bonanza is only on INSP early Saturday morning here. The Debt is a good episode. It's on season 7 so I have the DVD. I do wish I could travel back to mid-1800's and visit the Ponderosa. I'd just claim to be travelling and I got lost. Can I stay there a while? I'm sure Ben would let me stay. I'd hope my room was close to Joe's room! :rotfl
PaulaC.
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 3
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Cartwrights, Will, Roy,

100 Posts Group Member New Member Post

View all badges

Post by PaulaC. »

I just have watched this ep and from the first scene when Wiley appeared I was hypnotized by his voice. I googled his real name (Tommy Sands) and WOW- he was a singer I didn't knew. Love his songs, especially "The Worryin' Kind".
daisy60
Rancher
Rancher

View all badges

Post by daisy60 »

PaulaC. wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:26 pm I just have watched this ep and from the first scene when Wiley appeared I was hypnotized by his voice. I googled his real name (Tommy Sands) and WOW- he was a singer I didn't knew. Love his songs, especially "The Worryin' Kind".

Yes, there were several singers from the 50's and 60's who later went into acing Fabian is another one that I can recall. Tommy Sands was quite popular. I remember The Worryin' Kind on my little transistor radio which was often glued to my ear! :laughing

Return to “Season 7”