Episode 90 - THE WOOING OF ABIGAIL JONES

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 90 - THE WOOING OF ABIGAIL JONES

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 am

Date: March 4, 1962

Summary: Hoss and Joe try to play matchmaker for Ponderosa hand Hank Meyers, who is smitten by the local school teacher, Abigail Jones. The problem is that Abigail has eyes only for Adam Cartwright.

Written by: Norman Lessing
Directed by: Christian Nyby
Guest Stars: Hank Meyers...Vaughn Monroe Abigail Jones...Eileen Ryan Ma Nutley...Norma Varden Margie...Diana Darrin Proprietor...Robert J. Stevenson Ponderosa Hand...Bob Miles...(uncredited) Brunette Saloon Girl...Betty Endicott...(uncredited)

Slideshow courtesy of Gillie
These users thanked the author Episode Guide for the post:
sapphyr2018

Chenoa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Little Joe & Hoss

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Christmas 2018 Without A Trace 6
Talk like a pirate 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes Search BINGO Quotes Fun With Quotes 2017
Saint Patrick's Day 2017 Countdown to 1,111,111 100 Posts The Reading Club
The Reading Club Oktoberfest 2016 Talk Like A Pirate 2016 St. Patrick's Day 2016

View all badges

Re: Episode 90 - THE WOOING OF ABIGAIL JONES

Post by Chenoa » Tue May 31, 2016 11:05 pm

One of the funny ones, and one of my favourites. The scene with Little Joe coming down the stairs and disappearing from view as soon as Hoss booms out his "AAAAAHHH" gets me every time.
"They´re three fine boys Jed...hard workers and a good head on their shoulders...they are close to each other as brothers should be!" Ben in "Springtime"

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:24 am

I love when Joe falls down the stairs! The whole episode is funny . That was great the way Hoss and Joe conned Adam into singing for Hank. Just what Adam needed was Abigail thinking he was serenading her!

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:29 am

It's a funny episode all right. My favorite moments are when Adam jumps up into the chair as Hank approaches and when his brothers leave Adam in the lurch to face Abigail. I do have one problem though, the same problem I have with any story where the source of the humor is the assumption of how unattractive the woman involved is. That always seems just a little cruel to me. Imagine how the actress cast in such an "unattractive" part must feel.

debpet2 :adam

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:56 am

debpet2 wrote:I do have one problem though, the same problem I have with any story where the source of the humor is the assumption of how unattractive the woman involved is. That always seems just a little cruel to me. Imagine how the actress cast in such an "unattractive" part must feel.
I agree - and Eileen Ryan wasn't unattractive, either. But maybe the unattractive part of the character was her desperation. I felt sorry for her, being pushed around by her mother.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

ShiningBright
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Cochise, Buck, Chub, Sport

Post by ShiningBright » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:08 am

Actually, I don't think they even meant that she was physically unattractive. I rather think Little Joe and Hoss were surprised that Hank wouldn't want to marry a dashing young girl but their own former teacher. Also, you must keep in mind the character's ages in comparison to the actor's ages. Considering how young Hoss and Little Joe are supposed to be (it sometimes feels so silly that early seasons Joe is supposed to be younger than me!) that Hank, too is much younger than Vaughn Monroe and about as old as Hoss, perhaps. Abigail however, was a tiny bit older than Adam, so maybe in her early to mid-thirties, which would make her ca. ten or fifteen years too old to be a desirable bride. Add too that her preferences and behaviour, which could very well be regarded as arrogant from a cowboy, and she would be unattractive even as the most gorgeous woman in the world. Her good looks were never questioned. In my opinion, she was mean to the saloon girls, but otherwise I thought she was very entertaining.

I thought the episode was hilarious! In particular the pink lemonade and cookies. What a meal for a cowboy! Especially for Adam. I mean, since Hoss would probably still like him and Little Joe is still a 'baby', even though he grew well since he left school.
The true perfection of man lies, not in what man has, but in what man is.
~Oscar Wilde

MegD
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Sheriff Coffee

The Reading Club

View all badges

Post by MegD » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:06 am

Always wondered if other Bonanza fans were aware that Eileen Ryan (who had a bit part in The Land Grab, I think it was) was married to director Leo Penn with whom she had three sons, one of them named Sean. Fun fact.
These users thanked the author MegD for the post (total 3):
CalamitySharryJulianna

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:26 am

Yes, there are more of those fun facts down in the guest star section. I also like the light humor in this episode and how Hoss and Joe brought the entire family in on the scheme. Vaughn Monroe was topping the charts during that time so it was also funny that he would need a singing lesson from anyone.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 60

Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019
Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary
Winter 2018/2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:47 am

There was something truly funny about Adam when he looked socially frightened. Getting caught by Abigail while serenading was one of those moments for me. The look on his face was priceless.

I also enjoyed the moment when Adam threw a boot a Joe. That was great. I don't know if Joe was supposed to fall off the chair or not, but physical comedy always appeals to me. :grin
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
RedShirt

ShiningBright
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Cochise, Buck, Chub, Sport

Post by ShiningBright » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:24 am

Oh, I loved that, too! And Joe falling down the stairs. But really, my favouriet were the lemonade and cookies and the entire porch swing scene - it was just so awkwardly ridiculous.
The true perfection of man lies, not in what man has, but in what man is.
~Oscar Wilde

Return to “Season 3”