Episode 361 - A MATTER OF CIRCUMSTANCE

Bonanza Season 11 Episodes
daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 160
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

20,000 Posts Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Strike Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020
Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host Pattern This!
WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 361 - A MATTER OF CIRCUMSTANCE

Post by daisy60 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:21 pm

YouTube [ where I watch later episodes] doesn't show anything extra and it's been years since the original was on TV. I guess we'll have to wait for Seasons 11-14 to be released. Since Season 10 was just released it may be a while. One episode I remember a scene being removed is from Forever. After the fire when Alice died, the Dr. walks down the stairs with Ben and hands him a bottle of Laudanum and tells him to give some to Joe every 4-6 hours for pain but not to leave it in his room in his state of mind. Sometimes entire episodes were removed and not shown for years-the Lost Episodes. :shrug

Oxgirl
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:05 pm

Hi daisy60, thanks for the response and for the info re. Forever, would have liked to see that also. I wonder why they decide to cut certain bits, how annoying. :sad I'm in the UK so have to rely on the German DVDs, as can't watch the US ones over here. Grrrrrr.

Oxgirl

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:07 pm

They've been showing some of the 'lost' eps on CBS over here recently, which is good.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

20,000 Posts Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Strike Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:38 pm

I think many years ago Pat Robinson took control over some networks and took out some episodes that he thought were not for 'family', usually too violent. They were later discovered again and called 'lost episodes'. Considering what is shown on TV today these were very mild. :wink
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
Oxgirl

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 130
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Stuffed in Chat 2020
Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Christmas Baubles 2019
Christmas Card Team Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 pm

The "lost" episodes weren't really lost. Bonanza was released for syndication in 2 packages. The first package, which contained all the season 1-6 episodes (except "Lothario Larkin" for some reason) was much more popular, so people started referring to the 2nd package as "lost".

The "lost episode" package consists of episodes from these seasons:
Season 6: 1 (Lothario Larkin)
Season 7: 33 (all of them)
Season 8: 19 out of 34
Season 9: 14 out of 34
Season 10: 16 out of 30
Season 11: 18 out of 28
Season 12: 28 (all of them)
Season 13: 26 (all of them)
Season 14: 15 (all of them)

Of the first package, the only episode I can think of that was not shown on some stations was Season 6's "The Saga Of Squaw Charlie". Maybe because of the implication that Squaw Charlie had molested and killed a young girl. MeTV shows it but I don't think TVLand does.

Of the 2nd package, I've heard that the "Family Channel" would not show some because of their "non-Christian" content:
The Strange One (ESP)
The Pursued (2-part episode; polygamy)
Second Sight (ESP)
A Visit To Upright (?? maybe because of the painting of the nude woman?)
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 130
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Stuffed in Chat 2020
Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Christmas Baubles 2019
Christmas Card Team Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:58 pm

Oxgirl wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am
Hi all, am very late to this party, but I'd heard there was a missing scene in AMOC; after Ben finds Joe on the kitchen floor and before we see the doc standing by the bed talking about the accuracy of the book. Anyone seen it the missing scene?
The gap between when Ben finds Joe and the scene with the doctor does seem odd, but I have never heard that an scene that was originally broadcast was removed. It does seem that we missed out on some real Joe/Pa moments!

I have heard that near the beginning, when Joe is hurt he screams and the scream was removed after the original broadcast.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
Sharry
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

ansinico
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 403
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe/Adam

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 17 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 16 Persistant Prospector Winter Writing Challenge 2019
BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Valentine's Day 2020 Lorne Greene Birthday 2020
Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9 Bonanza Ballads Level 15

View all badges

Post by ansinico » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:15 pm

The scene I couldn't get my head around is the critically injured Joe deciding to fry a steak! :shrug I can understand it brought into play the cleaver also the fire reflected in Joe's fevered gaze. (Great direction and photography) He had to light the stove to warm the water for the poultice anyway and the camera on a scan of the kitchen could've dwelt on the meat cleaver hanging a hook. I cannot believe Hop Sing would've left uncooked food on his worktop let alone a big lump of raw beef. And would the fevered Joe be that hungry he would want to cook anything?
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
:grimesgirl "You'd have died of a real bad case of slow."
"Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows." Michael Landon

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:14 pm

ansinico wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:15 pm
The scene I couldn't get my head around is the critically injured Joe deciding to fry a steak! :shrug I can understand it brought into play the cleaver also the fire reflected in Joe's fevered gaze. (Great direction and photography) He had to light the stove to warm the water for the poultice anyway and the camera on a scan of the kitchen could've dwelt on the meat cleaver hanging a hook. I cannot believe Hop Sing would've left uncooked food on his worktop let alone a big lump of raw beef. And would the fevered Joe be that hungry he would want to cook anything?

Yes, that scene is a bit strange. Usually when you don't feel well food is the last thing you'd want. I also couldn't believe the raw meat sitting out in the kitchen! Shame on whosever idea that was! :shrug

Oxgirl

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:46 am

I have heard that near the beginning, when Joe is hurt he screams and the scream was removed after the original broadcast.

Yep, I've heard that about the scream as well, although he did do a whopper of a scream in Bushwhacked and they didn't cut that one!

Oxgirl

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:49 am

ansinico wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:15 pm
Yep, I agree, he didn't look like he was in a fit state to sit down and chow down on a big hunk of steak! :laughing
Also, I never could understand how the kid never saw him, as he went in the barn and looked left and right.

Return to “Season 11”