Episode 271 - SENSE OF DUTY

Bonanza Season 9 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 271 - SENSE OF DUTY

Post by Episode Guide » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:43 am

Date:September 24, 1967

Summary: : Ben takes command, along with Hoss and Joe, of an Army unit taking an Indian brave to prison. The whole time being they are being followed by the Paiute Indians. Candy Canady, a drifter looking for a meal and an adventure, joins the group along the trail.

Written by: John Hawkins, Gil Laskey
Directed by: William Witney
Guest Stars: David Canary (Candy); Gene Rutherford (Sergeant Ankers); Michael Forest (Sergeant Ankers); Ron Foster (Steve); Richard Hale (Chief Winetka); Ben Gage (Deputy); John Matthews (Colonel Brill); Kip Whitman (Tim Kelley); Gregg Palmer (Wells - uncredited); Bill Quinn (Townsman #1 - uncredited); Dan White (Townsman #2 - uncredited); Hal Burton (uncredited - horseback double for Michael Landon); Bill Clark (uncredited - horseback double for Lorne Greene); Bob Miles (uncredited -horseback double for David Canary).

Slide courtesy of January - images from Bonanza Boomers gallery
These users thanked the author Episode Guide for the post:
January

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All

Re: Episode 271 - SENSE OF DUTY

Post by Dagburnit » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:56 pm

Besides seeing a new sheriff in VC who is neither Roy nor Clem, how is it that knowing they were going to have to take Wabuska through Indian territory they would leave with so few weapons and men? Why wouldn't the army have taken charge of Wabuska? Knowing there would be perhaps hundreds of well-armed Indians, the scenario of a two day trip to Fort Churchill for one prisoner, and to put their lives on the line makes no sense.
These users thanked the author Dagburnit for the post:
January

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 123
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Christmas Card Team Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019
Oscar Chat 2019 Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018
Thanksgiving 2018 Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3
Behind The Scenes Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by ellen » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:36 pm

I like this episode, and I always try to watch it when it's on TV just to see Candy introduce himself.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:51 am

Very tense episode but well done. I remember when it was first shown I couldn't understand why Ben was wearing an army uniform leading the men, but he made a good leader and looked good in uniform. That was funny when a hungry Candy ate 2 cans of peaches.

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 372

Administrator Admin Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables
Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by January » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:44 pm

In honor of the official release of the Season 9 DVDs, let's talk about the time we were first introduced to Candy.

As said above, why would they ever leave Virginia City with such a small group of men knowing that there would probably be hundreds of Indians to interfere? And why would they get Ben out of retirement to lead this venture? Ben was way too old to get back in the Army. Just my opinion, but it didn't seem right.

Regardless of whether I liked or disliked this episode, I don't think they should have introduced Candy that way? I could have thought of a dozen other situations to bring Candy into the picture. Most of this episode took place camping out at night and hiding from the apparent Indian attack that they knew may be coming. So between the darkness of the episode and the whispering of the cast for fear the Indians would hear them ... I found this episode a bit straining to watch.

What'd you think about the attack from the Indians when they were buried in the ground? That was cool and spooky at the same time.

Hello Candy!

What's your thoughts on the episode?
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

rolsson
Drover
Drover
Badges: 48
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

December Delectables Christmas Card Team Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019
Reader's Choice Level 6 Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Poetry Portfolio
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 2 Guest Star Bio Ponderosa Prospects

View all badges

Post by rolsson » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:25 am

that was a very clever episode, I like how Candy was introduced he was very slick, quick witted and brave. It was really only Bens relationship with the Chief that got them out of that sticky situation at the end. It was very frustrating to see that they were being picked of one by one but they didn't seem to know that. good episode thanks for the suggestion January I enjoyed it

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:41 am

The part with the Indians buried in the sand, then jumping up and killing everyone was really scary the first several times I saw it. Now that I know it's coming I cover my eyes! :laughing Candy's introduction of him just walking into camp when they're surrounded by Indians was a bit strange. I didn't know Candy would be a regular character and didn't take to him right away. He grows on you, the way he cared for the Cartwrights ans was always there when he was needed. :very happy

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 140
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 13
Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 12
Fun With Captions Level 3 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:31 am

An episode with an odd mixture of "you gotta be kidding me" with "that's really interesting". Ben coming out of retirement was a stretch for me, poor guy. I was ok with how Candy was introduced, the skilled guerrilla warrior. I dont think he used those skills again in the future though. I saw the "enemy buried in sand" method in a movie, supposedly in the Sahara desert. Maybe a real thing. Yeah, could have been Little Bighorn all over again.
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Ponderosa Prospects
1,000 Posts 100 Posts Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:18 pm

Well I see Ben found his old uniform, although I didn’t realize he had one in the first place...but meanwhile who’s running the Ponderosa?

I figured Candy could’ve just stumbled into Virginia City one day, but they wanted someone who was clever, slick and likable. Besides they wanted to demonstrate his Military knowledge. It’s hinted herehe has some prior knowledge, but it’s only in later episodes do we find out more about his background and why it likely shaped his character.

I suppose the whole hiring him on the Ponderosa kind’ve came out of thin air, although Ben tended to hire anyone he had a good sense about.

It’s not the most complicated episode they are dragging a wasted man across a desert, but the idea of meeting a wanderer works fine, I suppose.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 154
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019
Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:45 am

I watched this episode for the first time on YouTube (since I don't yet own it) and I thought it quite interesting. Seeing Ben in a cavalry officer's uniform was quite strange and amusing at the same time. I love how as Hoss is stepping down off the boardwalk and Ben tells him to join the others, he says, "Right, Pa." Then he stops and says, "I mean, Major Pa." That part made me laugh!

I also enjoyed the scene where Candy first shows up, and all he wants is a can of peaches. And then when he kills the Indian and goes after his horse, only to return 3 hours later, Hoss asks him why he came back. Candy's reply? "Got lonesome."
The part that jolted me was when they found Spence lying dead in the rocks. I kind of expected it, but on the other hand, didn't, if that makes any sense.

The Indians lying the sand reminded me of a scene in the Disney film Mulan, where the Huns were buried in the snow. Mushu (the little red dragon) yells frantically at Mulan, "They're popping out the snow, like daisies!" In this case, it wasn't Huns, but Indians, and not snow, but sand. And when Ben shot at the Indian (Abushka, I think?) to me, that seemed out of character for Ben, because he would never deliberately shoot anyone.

The ending was nice, how he hired Candy on. I like how when at first, he refused, the Cartwright boys started teasing him, tricking him into taking the job. In the few episodes I've seen with Candy, some of his qualities remind me of Adam. Though Adam, in my heart, could never be replaced, Candy does have some of his characteristics.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Return to “Season 9”