Episode 197 - TO OWN THE WORLD

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 197 - TO OWN THE WORLD

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Date: April 18, 1965

Summary: Tycoon Charles Hackett is out to buy the Ponderosa, at any price. Ben refuses to sell but Hackett won't give up.

Written by: Ed Adamson
Directed by: Virgil W. Vogel
Guest Stars: Telly Savalas (Charles Hackett), Linda Lawson (Maria Hackett)

Slideshow courtesy of Bejules

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 367
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 197 - TO OWN THE WORLD

Post by January » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:52 pm

:ben Aah sure, now you wanna be nice.

:adam He's dead Jim Pa

Hard to believe Charles Hackett and Kojak are the same person. eh? :laughing No matter what role Telly Savalas plays, I always want to stick a lollypop in his mouth to reveal to the world that he is the one and only Kojak! A great actor, but enough off topic! :grin

I guess there were bullies even way back then. A smart business man like Hackett with all the riches in the world, yet he wanted to buy the Ponderosa. Why? Because he just had to have it?

Ben was a hero in this episode in more than the usual ways. His love of his family, his land, his community all that matters. Men like Charles Hackett are a dime a dozen. Men like Ben Cartwright are gold.

Favorite Ben line (and his delivery of it). As Hackett questions Ben a 2nd time abut purchasing ponderosa timber, Ben calmly states that the timber's not ready for chopping yet. Hackett smugly says "Why don't you let me be the judge of that" then Ben ever so eloquently says "I already judged it". Then Ben cooly continues to sip his tea. :laughing I loved that. That really pissed Hackett off. :whistling

In the end, Ben was right. Hackett's mind would destroy him, his sick mind and the way he thinks.

Why did people like Hackett get away with that kind of behavior?

His wife Maria had some brains ...sometimes. Both she and Ben could have let Charles die and put an end to their misery and our misery. :laughing

Oh, and nothing for nothing but Ben happened to be especially handsome in this episode. :cool1

So what do you think? Was Maria stupid for letting him get away with that behavior all those years? Was Ben acting too heroic when Adam wanted to go into town with him to see Hackett but Ben insisted on going alone. What was Adam thinking? Do you think Adam thought he was going to be an orphan by morning? And what about Little Joe driving Maria to Carson City? Was that a smart thing for him to do?
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:39 am

It was a totally different role for 'Kojak'! It seems if you have money you have the right to buy whatever you want-including the Ponderosa. Joe, driving Maria to Carson was Joe being a gentleman to a lady. He was just being Joe. Ben should not have gone into town alone but maybe taken Adam with him.

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:17 am

I guess there have been people like Hackett throughout history. Unfortunately his type, only wanting as much as they can possibly get for themselves and not caring about the effect of their actions on anyone else, seems especially prevalent today.
:flyingmoney
As for Maria, I wouldn't say she "let" him get away with his behavior. My impression was that she tried to talk to him, but just didn't have much real influence. As for Joe agreeing to drive her...no, that wasn't exactly a smart decision. Telly Savalas certainly did a fine job of playing Hackett, very different than his most familiar role of Kojak.

debpet2 :adam

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 am

Things have changed so much, but there are still rich bullies that think money means power and power is the end goal in life!

Because of the time (even thinking 1960s instead of 1860s), I don't really blame Maria for staying with him. There weren't many options for her; she was an orphan so other than getting a job - which would have been a huge humiliation for her - what could she do? Hackett wouldn't have given her money and she had no relatives.

I really don't care for this episode because Hackett is so awful. I kinda wanted him to die from that heart attack.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
RedShirt
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:10 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I had seen Telly Savalas only when he guest starred in The Carol Burnett Show. His role of Charles Hackett was so hilarious!
I figure anybody who thought they could get the Ponderosa by force, threats, and offers of money, was an idiot. Ben was determined not to sell, and well he should be. When you take into consideration everything he went through just to build up the Ponderosa, it makes sense that no one but-- no one-- could pry the land away from him.

I hate to say it, but Maria and Little Joe were both stupid if they thought they'd be able to escape from Charles. It was all just a ploy, a ruse to pick a fight with the Cartwrights.
I loved it when Charles was having a heart attack and his wife, so angry and upset with him, refused to give him his medicine. Ben, even with all the trouble that was caused by Hackett, quickly got it for him and helped him out. He even went so far as to patch things up with Hackett's marriage.

If I had to choose a favorite scene, however, it'd be limited to two. The first, where Charles tells Ben where he should've put the house. I mean, I've heard of cabins in the woods, but where Charles wanted to put it, that's going a little bit extreme, don't you think?
And my next favorite, the end, where Joe goes looking for his father and finds him in that exact spot, babbling on nonsensically.
The look on Joe's face is priceless! :rotfl
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:56 am

Did anyone notice that Hackett took Maria in his house when she was an orphan? What were his motives since he is not the beneficial type?
I think he took her in to model a young girl according to his wishes so that in the end he could marry a woman who would do everything he wanted. That probably is why Maria had so much trouble to separate herself (brain and body) from him: He had educated her to be "his woman".
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 132
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Fun With Captions Level 3 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:54 am

Remember the part Telly had in "Dirty Dozen" - Maggott? Hackett was a prequelle I think for that yucky part. Good actor and perfect to play off Ben. It was a tough theme to develop and resolve in less than a hour. another episode that could have helped with a follow up I think. I liked the scenes too where Hackett and Ben were talking about the Ponderosa. Hackett could really imagine owning it. I thought the actress, Lawson, played it just right. Nobody was overboard. I couldn't help but watch Pernell from the viewpoint that this was his last year. He only had a few lines, but his calm presence helped balance out the emotional chaos. Helping the enemy get back on his feet after defeat is a thought provoking theme in any era, IMO.
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Was Maria stupid for letting him get away with that behavior all those years?
Foolish, perhaps. I have a hard time using the word stupid because of the point Manulanee brought up: the poor girl hardly knew another life, and she had nobody to turn to had she wanted to escape Hackett.

Was Ben acting too heroic when Adam wanted to go into town with him to see Hackett but Ben insisted on going alone?
Oh, probably. But it's his default. He doesn't like taking his boys into situations that might become dangerous. When Ben's really thinking, he wants Adam along, but when he's in stressed mode he goes on autopilot, which for him is "handle EVERYTHING myself."

What was Adam thinking?
Does anyone ever know what Adam is thinking? :grin
Knowing Adam, he could be any combination of resigned, resentful, melancholy, submissive, pensive, fatalistic, deeply angry (with Hackett, not Pa), chafing, rejected, depressed, trusting, calm, oddly apathetic, or keeping-silent-while-my-investigative-brain-runs-in-super-high-gear. To me he mostly looked tired....

Do you think Adam thought he was going to be an orphan by morning?
I think that if he was genuinely concerned for his father's life, he would have put up a fight rather than staying home. However, I must repeat my former question: does anyone ever know what Adam is thinking?

And what about Little Joe driving Maria to Carson City? Was that a smart thing for him to do?
NO.
Compassionate? Yes. Daring? Yes. Ill-considered and reckless? Yes. Exactly what you'd expect from Little Joe? Absolutely.
But not smart. Nosiree. :no

Other:
I just want to say that I find Hackett a very effective villain. He's remarkably layered and nuanced, and his combination of smile-while-you-threaten control and (later) maddened frustration is excellent. In my opinion, this script could have bombed if Hackett was played by the wrong actor, so kudos to the casting department!
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post (total 2):
littlejoenicemanulanee
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:54 am

Boy, you sure covered everything, Plato. In perfect detail, too. :yes
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Return to “Season 6”