Episode 196 - A GOOD NIGHT'S REST

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 196 - A GOOD NIGHT'S REST

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Date: April 11, 1965

Summary:Unable to find peace and quiet at home, an exhausted Ben checks into the local hotel where he fares no better.

Written by: Frank Cleaver, Jeffrey Fleece
Directed by: William F. Claxton
Guest Stars: Eddie Firestone (Potts), Abigail Shelton (Lucy), Jean Willes (Mrs. Jenny Jenkins), Lloyd Corrigan (Doc), Robert Ridgely (Wilfred), Michael Forest (Frank Shirmer)

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Re: Episode 196 - A GOOD NIGHT'S REST

Post by littlejoenice » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:44 pm

One of my favorite episodes! Especially when Ben yells out the window at Little Joe.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:36 pm

This is a funny episode. But as far as the goings on at home, I can't believe that this was the first time Adam was playing his guitar at night, Hoss was snoring, and Joe was having a very noisy date. :grin It seems with three boys at home and most likely a bunch of ranch hands (wherever that bunkhouse was!), the Ponderosa might've been a noisy place sometime.

Okay maybe Ben was so overtired that he couldn't get to sleep. But why didn't he just take his bedroll and camp out a distance from the house? The woods would have been peaceful and quiet. But no, Ben goes back into Virginia City where there are saloons and dance halls. Yeah, that would be a lot quieter. :ha

And as exhausted as Ben seemed to be, wouldn't a long ride on horseback all the way to town be very tiring? I'm surprised he didn't fall asleep in the saddle. It wasn't like getting in your car and driving ten minutes to a motel.

Yes, I'm overthinking it. But I believe the episode would have been just as funny with a different set up. For instance, the episode opens with Ben in a different town, maybe Carson City. He checks into one hotel which is too noisy. He tries another one and then he is constantly kept awake with all the antics of the other guests. Just a thought. I can't help "rewriting' episodes. LOL

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 am

PJudith wrote: But I believe the episode would have been just as funny with a different set up.
I have to agree. They could've thought this one through a little more, but it's still funny in its own rights, and in its own way. I did get annoyed with Wilfred and Lucy though. :mad As far as I'm concerned, they could've both jumped out the window and the story would've been just as good.
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:57 am

I think that this one is fun as look as the premise isn't taken seriously. Why would a grown man travel all the way to a noisy mining town to get a good night's sleep? Makes no sense. Perhaps it's one of those that should be watched with a grain of salt and two lumps of sugar.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:46 pm

PJudith wrote: But I believe the episode would have been just as funny with a different set up. For instance, the episode opens with Ben in a different town, maybe Carson City. He checks into one hotel which is too noisy. He tries another one and then he is constantly kept awake with all the antics of the other guests. Just a thought. I can't help "rewriting' episodes. LOL
I'm with you on this; the premise is dumb. Ben could have been on a road trip and it would have made a lot more sense. The downside of this is the other Cartwright actors (and Roy) wouldn't have been in the episode at all.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Return to “Season 6”