manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Re: Episode 195 - DEAD AND GONE

Post by manulanee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:43 am

ol_bat1947 wrote:I always notice the last shots after Adam puts Hilda on the stage. It seems as though Adam just races away rather than hanging around to give a final wave as the stage leave as he usually did. He seems to hurry back to the wagon and make a getaway. Wonder now if we were seeing Pernell making HIS getaway.
If this last scene was actually the last they took. They often started filming the end first or something in the middle of the plot, depending perhaps on the weather to do the shots on location and on who was available on which day, I guess. Interesting find, though. I never noticed that. :thumbup
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

zarapam
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 3
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Group Member 100 Posts Boomers Million

View all badges

Post by zarapam » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 pm

Overall, I like this episode, although Adam seems a little too obtuse here, not entirely himself.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 307
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:30 am

The dynamics between Hilda and her brother emphasize the "Old World" values that they hold. Johann (Steven Ihnat and ML were good friends, BTW) embodies the values of hard work, frugality (the holes in the throw about his shoulders emphasize that) and they are more than likely Lutherans nd hold to the early teachings. The writers may not have thought it out as much as I but Germans are known to be hard-working people and due to that, life is not fun and games and family is utmost in importance. Many time Hilda says about Johann. "He's my brother" and she tells him, "You're my brother, Johann, but..." So I can't blame him for distrusting Mead and trying to impress his opinion of him on his sister.

As for why Hilda isn't prosecuted--I'm sure that was Coffee's choice. What purpose would it serve? Just let her go back to Germany.

I can't remember but it may be that Adam leaves w/o sticking around so that the last scene can be his passing by the children playing jump rope and singing "Poor Howard, dead and gone...

And I love watching Adam's face when Howard sings, "Who'd been here since I've been gone, A big, tall man with a black hat on..."
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy

Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:02 am

Adamant wrote:The dynamics between Hilda and her brother emphasize the "Old World" values that they hold. Johann (Steven Ihnat and ML were good friends, BTW) embodies the values of hard work, frugality (the holes in the throw about his shoulders emphasize that) and they are more than likely Lutherans nd hold to the early teachings. The writers may not have thought it out as much as I but Germans are known to be hard-working people and due to that, life is not fun and games and family is utmost in importance. Many time Hilda says about Johann. "He's my brother" and she tells him, "You're my brother, Johann, but..." So I can't blame him for distrusting Mead and trying to impress his opinion of him on his sister.
And I love watching Adam's face when Howard sings, "Who'd been here since I've been gone, A big, tall man with a black hat on..."
I think you are right about their belief, Adamant, though I would guess that they tend to be members of the stricter Reformed Church of Huldrych Zwingli (Southern Germany and Switzerland) which stresses the value of work and praying over the joy of life. We Lutherans (middle and nothern parts of Germany) are quite a bit more inclined to enjoy life as well as enjoying work and praying :grin But nowadays there are not so many differences anymore between the two churches. In fact, in Germany they are united under the "roof" of the Protestant Church.
And about Hoyt Axton's song: I love him and often listen to his songs. I can assure you he had a wry sense of humour and he loved that scene, too. :laughing

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 307
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:39 am

manulanee wrote:[
...I would guess that they tend to be members of the stricter Reformed Church of Huldrych Zwingli (Southern Germany and Switzerland) which stresses the value of work and praying over the joy of life. We Lutherans (middle and nothern parts of Germany) are quite a bit more inclined to enjoy life as well as enjoying work and praying :grin But nowadays there are not so many differences anymore between the two churches. In fact, in Germany they are united under the "roof" of the Protestant Church.
And about Hoyt Axton's song: I love him and often listen to his songs. I can assure you he had a wry sense of humour and he loved that scene, too. :laughing
You may be on the money as to which "branch" of the Lutheran church Johann and Hilda may have--theoretically--belonged since it became more widespread in the 19th century. All branches believe the Bible is the final authority and Johann is reading his Bible in the at-home scene. And I'm Lutheran as well and although I'm not a drinker, most love their wine and beer and sports. And no offense is meant, but Luther and Zwingli seemed a humorless pair--just like Johann.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:36 am

Adamant wrote: And no offense is meant, but Luther and Zwingli seemed a humorless pair--just like Johann.
No offense taken, of course! I'm neither strict nor humourless about religion. I reckon we could discuss details for hours (and I sure would like to do that, living now in a 99% catholic region), but it would go beyond the scope of this thread. :grin - Zwingli sure was a great deal humourless. :yes Luther was a rather contradictory man. It is very interesting and revealing to read some biographies about him. - So anyway, Johann was characterized to be a typical German Protestant of his time, I think we can state this.

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:46 pm

Sharry wrote: I thought I had also always noticed Pernell came across a little differently on screen in this one as well - wasn't sure why. Maybe it can be at least partly attributed to his enjoyment of the music. :thumbup
You could be right, compare it with the scene he does with Robert Culp when they sing together(episode Broken Ballad) The singing could be real feeling and not acting. I definitely get the feeling it truly was a fun moment.
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
Sharry

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:16 pm

It may be a sad episode but I do enjoy the time that Adam and Howard spend together. There are times, however, when I would like them to sing something more upbeat, say, something about a bullfrog.
These users thanked the author Calamity for the post:
Sharry
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:58 am

I don't think Jerimiah was in existence yet, Cal! I always did enjoy the sing-a-longs but it was a bit strange knowing Hoyt became a well-known singer/songwriter. I didn't know who he was until many years later.

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:20 am

daisy60 wrote:I don't think Jerimiah was in existence yet, Cal! I always did enjoy the sing-a-longs but it was a bit strange knowing Hoyt became a well-known singer/songwriter. I didn't know who he was until many years later.
That's interesting, daisy. He was one of my favourite country singers right from the beginning and as soon as I could either record his songs from the radio or later buy an LP. :grin His song "Rusty Ol' Halo" is sooo good and funny!

Return to “Season 6”