Episode 181 - A KNIGHT TO REMEMBER

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 181 - A KNIGHT TO REMEMBER

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 am

Date: December 20, 1964

Summary: Adam's stagecoach is robbed by Mexican bandits who are scared off mid-robbery by the appearance of a rider in full-body armor who claims to be King Arthur. Adam is jailed for the crime when the local sheriff doesn't believe the alibi, convinced instead that Adam is crazy.

Written by: Robert V. Barron
Directed by: Vincent McEveety
Guest Stars: Henry Jones (King Arthur), Charles Watts (Sheriff Munsey), Robert Sorrells (Cyril), Zeme North (Phoebe), Rodolfo Acosta (Juan)

Slideshow courtesy of Rika

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Re: Episode 181 - A KNIGHT TO REMEMBER

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:28 am

I'm surprised there's no posts to go with this one. I thought it was funny that everyone, especially the Cartwrights, thought that Adam was seeing things! And of all things, it had to be King Arthur! KING ARTHUR, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
sapphyr2018
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:22 pm

When I first saw this one I thought it was rather over the top, but I've come to appreciate the humor of the situation and the way Adam learns to enjoy it in the end. He being knighted by "King Arthur" is a nice touch, and his "Peasants!" line is a classic.

debpet2 :adam

grimesgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 87

Forum Moderator 100 Posts 1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts
10,000 Posts 15,000 Posts 20,000 Posts 25,000 Posts
30,000 Posts 35,000 Posts half million posts Boomers Million
PR Brick Dedication Volunteer Referral Badge Cartwright Generosity

View all badges

Post by grimesgirl » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:01 pm

I think PR had a ball doing this episode. He got to show his humorous tendencies, something he didn't get to do a lot. His 'Peasants' and swagger as he walked away is classic as you say, debpet2.

showdown
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 13

Time For A Commercial Break 3 The Reading Club September Song 2017 Readin', Writin' ...
Hidden Treasures Snail BINGO Quotes Stepping Up 2017 100 Posts
PODs The Reading Club Halloween Tales 2016 September Song 2016
School Daze

View all badges

Post by showdown » Tue May 10, 2016 5:27 pm

After a lot of episodes without Adam I finally watched "A Knight To Remember". When I read the synopsis I supposed it would be a silly episode, but I was wrong. What an amusing and good episode. I enjoyed it so much. PR performed really well, and as grimesgirl said, he showed his humorous tendencies. Is it known whether he liked this script? It appears as if he had fun with his part.
And Sir Adam´s conclusion "peasants" will go down in Bonanza-History. A classic indeed!
The black-dressed-Adam on the white horse - doesn´t it look beautiful ...
Boomers Gallery / Thanks Tracy

Apparently Adam is the one who has to help others climb the saddle:

Boomers Gallery /Thanks Calamity Liz / The Waiting Game

Boomers Gallery / showdown

Once I read in Greenland´s book it was David Dortort´s ambition to create a kind of Camelot with Bonanza and the Cartwrights were intended to symbolise the knights. :adam :hoss :joe :ben
And it is non other than Pernell Roberts – who was fed up with Bonanza, frustrated and angry and who had at this time great problems with the leading producing team, and whose last season it was - ironically Pernell Roberts (who was "rebellious, outspoken and aloof" according to Dortort) was chosen to play the main part in this King-Arthur-Story, an episode that represents at least Mr. Dortort´s dream.
But at that time maybe Mr. Dortort didn´t dream any more of a perfect world like Camelot/Ponderosa. :ranch
I was particularly taken with that episode. It might be traced back to a long absence of Adam on my TV.

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:29 am

of course Adam is the only one who could play this part. He is the one who reads so much and could "know" how to talk to King Arthur. Such an amusing episode and well thought out even to the 'Peasants' ending

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 178
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:53 am

Adam's "All the world's a stage" really made this episode for me. One of the few times Bonanza reminds us that Pernell knew how to act Shakespeare.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:17 pm

To me, Bonanza's been a Camelot world ever since I discovered it. Sometimes, I wish I could jump into my stories, and watch everything happening just the way I wrote it. :grin
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
CowgirlAtHeart
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

janet0312
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 4

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Amazon Buyer 100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by janet0312 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:21 pm

Saw this episode on MeTV this afternoon. I've come to the conclusion that PR was an avid fan of old movies because his mannerisms reflect some of the old time movie stars. In this episode he seems to be channeling John Barrymore. The film "Twentieth Century" (1934) comes to mind, one of those screwball comedies of the day. There's a little bit of Melvin Douglas in PR and maybe a smidgen of Bugs Bunny. There was another episode of Bonanza where I felt sure that PR was a fan of Laurel & Hardy, but I can't remember which one. Forgive me. I am old. But Pernell is a treasure. So fun to watch.
He was an ACTOR.
Throw in drop dead gorgeous.
These users thanked the author janet0312 for the post:
Julianna
Help! I've been Adamized! Oh, no! I've been Lorne Greened too!

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:00 pm

janet0312 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:21 pm
Saw this episode on MeTV this afternoon. I've come to the conclusion that PR was an avid fan of old movies because his mannerisms reflect some of the old time movie stars. In this episode he seems to be channeling John Barrymore. The film "Twentieth Century" (1934) comes to mind, one of those screwball comedies of the day. There's a little bit of Melvin Douglas in PR and maybe a smidgen of Bugs Bunny. There was another episode of Bonanza where I felt sure that PR was a fan of Laurel & Hardy, but I can't remember which one. Forgive me. I am old. But Pernell is a treasure. So fun to watch.
He was an ACTOR.
Throw in drop dead gorgeous.
This was specifically written for PR by his friend Robert Baron. You may recall he also wrote “Hoss and The Leprechauns “ which Pernell brought in for David Dortort to read. :wink

Return to “Season 6”