Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
User avatar
Lisal
Drover
Drover
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:37 pm
Badges: 82
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
Location: New England

Ponderosa Nightmares 2020 Hidden Treasures Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Fun With Captions Level 2
Reader's Choice Level 8 Time For A Commercial Break 5 Game Night 2020 Level 2 Game Night 2020 Level 1
Summer 2020 The Coloring Book Break The Record Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 7
September Song 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020 Reader's Choice Level 7 Library Story 2020

View all badges

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Lisal » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:45 pm

This was a great discussion that I am sorry to have missed. I really enjoyed all the insights.

I can't see Adam beating either of his brothers the way Hoss did him in SWIB. For one thing, he's the oldest and he grew up with them always being littler and younger so to use his full force on them was out of the question. For another, Adam is very good at self-restraint. I think he'd be more apt to tear his brothers apart with words than with fists - if he were to try and tear them apart at all. I agree with Julianna - he loved his little brothers and big brothers do look at their younger siblings differently than vice versa.

Which is one reason Hoss may have lost it so violently with Adam. Somewhere in Hoss's mind, Adam was probably seen as invincible and no matter how much he punched him and took his frustrations out on him, deep down Hoss figured Adam could withstand anything.
These users thanked the author Lisal for the post (total 3):
SharryJuliannachezza
That's my family... which means the odds have changed.
- Adam in "Toy Soldier"

User avatar
Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 34337
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:59 pm
Badges: 334
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character
Location: Down South

Forum Moderator Reader's Choice Level 2 Autumn Writing 2020 Time For A Commercial Break 5
Bonanza Ballads Level 16 September Song 2020 David Canary Birthday 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 14
Summer Writing Challenge 2020 July 4 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Spring Awakens 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020

View all badges

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Adamant » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:52 am

Things never have a simple reason. Hoss tossing Adam around the empty bunkhouse is the result of all the frustration that has probably built up over years (if one is to assume the writers are considering that these are grown men!) and then the worst sin a "brother" can commit against another! Earlier, when Regan and Amelia ride away, (it always bothers me that one of the C's doesn't ride along to ensure they make it home safely) Hoss tells Adam that Regan is his--he distinctly states it. But Hoss also wants Adam's approval of Regan, wanted them to meet and even discuss mutual friends. And then, handsome older brother, who always gets every girl he's ever wanted, betrays him. That's why Hoss is in such a rage. Betrayal is the worst sin of all, according even to Dante who has Judas, Cassius and Brutus being constantly gnawed on, one in each of three mouths. And nothing hurts more than betrayal. That's why Hoss is so enraged.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
TNTrue
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

User avatar
Lisal
Drover
Drover
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:37 pm
Badges: 82
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
Location: New England

Ponderosa Nightmares 2020 Hidden Treasures Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Fun With Captions Level 2
Reader's Choice Level 8 Time For A Commercial Break 5 Game Night 2020 Level 2 Game Night 2020 Level 1
Summer 2020 The Coloring Book Break The Record Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 7
September Song 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020 Reader's Choice Level 7 Library Story 2020

View all badges

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Lisal » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:09 am

Adamant wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:52 am
Things never have a simple reason. Hoss tossing Adam around the empty bunkhouse is the result of all the frustration that has probably built up over years (if one is to assume the writers are considering that these are grown men!) and then the worst sin a "brother" can commit against another! Earlier, when Regan and Amelia ride away, (it always bothers me that one of the C's doesn't ride along to ensure they make it home safely) Hoss tells Adam that Regan is his--he distinctly states it. But Hoss also wants Adam's approval of Regan, wanted them to meet and even discuss mutual friends. And then, handsome older brother, who always gets every girl he's ever wanted, betrays him. That's why Hoss is in such a rage. Betrayal is the worst sin of all, according even to Dante who has Judas, Cassius and Brutus being constantly gnawed on, one in each of three mouths. And nothing hurts more than betrayal. That's why Hoss is so enraged.
No doubt.

I agree about the years of frustration and how hard it must've been to watch Adam be oft-pursued and desired. Then add to it a younger brother who is also very pretty (as they said in "The Ape") and you have a middle child feeling left out or ignored by women, even if it wasn't always the case. And as much as Hoss could stay cheerful and shrug things off, I'm sure it hurt deep down.

And about betrayal. SO true. It's one thing to get cheated on (speaking in real time, here), it's a double slap in the face to have your rival be a friend - much less a sibling. I don't question his rage at all. I wonder though - would he have beat Joe as violently? Or would he have restrained himself?

Interesting things to think about!
That's my family... which means the odds have changed.
- Adam in "Toy Soldier"

User avatar
Drifter
Drover
Drover
Posts: 2998
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:53 pm
Badges: 34
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
Location: New England

Summer 2020 Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Break The Record Level 2 September Song 2020
July 4 2020 BINGO Participant Summer 2020 Gardening 2020 BINGO Gutterball Summer 2020
Collectors' Corner 2020 Prop Fiction Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Valentine's Day 2020
Oscar Chat 2020 Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 10th Anniversary Letter D

View all badges

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Drifter » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Adamant wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:52 am
... And then, handsome older brother, who always gets every girl he's ever wanted ...
And even gets the girls he doesn’t necessarily want (Melinda, Beatrice, and this time Ragan). :whistling No, it certainly doesn’t make it easier for Hoss. I can imagine the jealousy when Joe was still a boy while Hoss was just coming of age, and older brother came home from college.

And honestly, I get what Adam was trying to “prove,” but I almost think he should’ve stayed out of it or let some other guy end up responsible. If Hoss got angry it wouldn’t have been him. She wasn’t pursuing him, but obviously he knew her reputation and likely knew others, so he couldn’t have been naive. Surely in time another guy would try his hand and then she’d eventually expose herself anyway. But I get it, Adam figured his brother would’ve gotten hurt sooner or later, and Hoss didn’t exactly listen to him or Joe when it came to Helen in The Courtship. At least these guys don’t hold grudges!
These users thanked the author Drifter for the post (total 3):
JuliannaLisalTNTrue

User avatar
Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 32740
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:58 pm
Badges: 354
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 22 Time For A Commercial Break 5 Talk Like A Pirate 2020
September Song 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 21 Good Housekeeping 2020 Reader's Choice Level 9
Bonanza Ballads Level 20 Reader's Choice Level 8 July 4 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 19
Reader's Choice Level 7 Bonanza Ballads Level 18 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Reader's Choice Level 6

View all badges

Contact:

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Tracy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:54 pm

Adamant wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:52 am
Earlier, when Regan and Amelia ride away, (it always bothers me that one of the C's doesn't ride along to ensure they make it home safely) . . .
@Adamant I agree. Not to mention that realistically, it would take hours and hours to ride on horseback from where the Ponderosa is supposed to be located to Virginia City -- let alone in a buggy! Amelia would have demanded a male escort back to town.

User avatar
Lisal
Drover
Drover
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:37 pm
Badges: 82
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
Location: New England

Ponderosa Nightmares 2020 Hidden Treasures Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Fun With Captions Level 2
Reader's Choice Level 8 Time For A Commercial Break 5 Game Night 2020 Level 2 Game Night 2020 Level 1
Summer 2020 The Coloring Book Break The Record Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 7
September Song 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020 Reader's Choice Level 7 Library Story 2020

View all badges

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Lisal » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 am

Drifter wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 pm
.

And honestly, I get what Adam was trying to “prove,” but I almost think he should’ve stayed out of it or let some other guy end up responsible. If Hoss got angry it wouldn’t have been him. She wasn’t pursuing him, but obviously he knew her reputation and likely knew others, so he couldn’t have been naive. Surely in time another guy would try his hand and then she’d eventually expose herself anyway. But I get it, Adam figured his brother would’ve gotten hurt sooner or later, and Hoss didn’t exactly listen to him or Joe when it came to Helen in The Courtship. At least these guys don’t hold grudges!

I know they kissed and the boys had to fight for drama's sake but I would rather they'd have written it so that she had approached Adam about her past (ie "Ok, I know you know about me, Adam - can I ask you to stay quiet, please?" ) either in town or maybe somehow at the ranch - rather than Adam going to her house. It would've made Adam a lot less nosy and intrusive and a lot more understandable.
These users thanked the author Lisal for the post:
Drifter
That's my family... which means the odds have changed.
- Adam in "Toy Soldier"

User avatar
Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 34337
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:59 pm
Badges: 334
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character
Location: Down South

Forum Moderator Reader's Choice Level 2 Autumn Writing 2020 Time For A Commercial Break 5
Bonanza Ballads Level 16 September Song 2020 David Canary Birthday 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 14
Summer Writing Challenge 2020 July 4 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Spring Awakens 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020

View all badges

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Adamant » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:48 am

Lisal wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 am


I know they kissed and the boys had to fight for drama's sake but I would rather they'd have written it so that she had approached Adam about her past (ie "Ok, I know you know about me, Adam - can I ask you to stay quiet, please?" ) either in town or maybe somehow at the ranch - rather than Adam going to her house. It would've made Adam a lot less nosy and intrusive and a lot more understandable.
@Lisal And there would have been no tension that holds the viewer waiting to see what happens next. No, the conflict--just as it is written--is necessary to show Regan's character. She had told Amelia she could handle Adam because he's a man. Amelia laughed, knowing at last, that Regan had met her match. Had Regan been open and forthcoming with Adam, it would have made Adam less nosy and intrusive but the situation would have been SOOOOOOO boring. Better she try to seduce Adam and fail. Then all her fury comes out and she shows her true colors (lavender and purple! :laughing ) Besides, Adam is the big brother and can't help but look out for Hoss. He wants to cut Regan off and give her the chance to come clean but she doesn't. Now we can really hate her! The manipulative "witch".

As Eleanor Criswell Hanna Roberts said in her taped interview, a dear friend (PR?) once told her, "Where there is no conflict, there is no drama." Have to have that conflict!
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

User avatar
Lisal
Drover
Drover
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:37 pm
Badges: 82
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
Location: New England

Ponderosa Nightmares 2020 Hidden Treasures Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Fun With Captions Level 2
Reader's Choice Level 8 Time For A Commercial Break 5 Game Night 2020 Level 2 Game Night 2020 Level 1
Summer 2020 The Coloring Book Break The Record Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 7
September Song 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020 Reader's Choice Level 7 Library Story 2020

View all badges

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Lisal » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:29 pm

Adamant wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:48 am
Lisal wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 am


I know they kissed and the boys had to fight for drama's sake but I would rather they'd have written it so that she had approached Adam about her past (ie "Ok, I know you know about me, Adam - can I ask you to stay quiet, please?" ) either in town or maybe somehow at the ranch - rather than Adam going to her house. It would've made Adam a lot less nosy and intrusive and a lot more understandable.
@Lisal And there would have been no tension that holds the viewer waiting to see what happens next. No, the conflict--just as it is written--is necessary to show Regan's character. She had told Amelia she could handle Adam because he's a man. Amelia laughed, knowing at last, that Regan had met her match. Had Regan been open and forthcoming with Adam, it would have made Adam less nosy and intrusive but the situation would have been SOOOOOOO boring. Better she try to seduce Adam and fail. Then all her fury comes out and she shows her true colors (lavender and purple! :laughing ) Besides, Adam is the big brother and can't help but look out for Hoss. He wants to cut Regan off and give her the chance to come clean but she doesn't. Now we can really hate her! The manipulative "witch".

As Eleanor Criswell Hanna Roberts said in her taped interview, a dear friend (PR?) once told her, "Where there is no conflict, there is no drama." Have to have that conflict!
I agree about conflict - it is a must have or else there is no story. I was just considering the idea of having her trying to seduce Adam at a different point in time (going for it before he came to her house). I see what you mean about both Adam's big brother nature and Amelia's part in the drama and in retrospect, the episode works well the way it is so why should I try and change it? :grin Plus - Hoss seeing Adam actually at Regan's house probably added to his fury (thinking Adam had gone there looking for that). Had he witnessed it at the ranch or in town, his reaction may have been a bit more tempered.
That's my family... which means the odds have changed.
- Adam in "Toy Soldier"

User avatar
Wing1610
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun May 17, 2020 6:42 am
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

New Member Post

View all badges

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Wing1610 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:47 am

Inspired by the previous discussion, I watched this episode again.

I always ask myself: Did Hoss have any reason to go back to the Millers' house after he was there that morning to offer his invitation?

I especially like DB's facial expressions in the living room, after the fight. First there is still a lot of anger, then, in particular when Ben enters, he comes to the realization that perhaps he has gone too far. Then Hoss shows defiance and tries to avoid the confrontation with Ben. No words are needed.

When Regan talks to Hoss about the afternoon while dancing and says "I couldn't stop him", I always shake my head at Hoss' reply "I know". Is that how he really thinks about his brother? And then I'm relieved that Regan is briefly unsettled, hearing that Ben already knows about that afternoon´s incident. Now she has to retreat.

User avatar
Lisal
Drover
Drover
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:37 pm
Badges: 82
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
Location: New England

Ponderosa Nightmares 2020 Hidden Treasures Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Fun With Captions Level 2
Reader's Choice Level 8 Time For A Commercial Break 5 Game Night 2020 Level 2 Game Night 2020 Level 1
Summer 2020 The Coloring Book Break The Record Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 7
September Song 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020 Reader's Choice Level 7 Library Story 2020

View all badges

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Lisal » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 pm

Wing1610 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:47 am
Inspired by the previous discussion, I watched this episode again.

I always ask myself: Did Hoss have any reason to go back to the Millers' house after he was there that morning to offer his invitation?

I especially like DB's facial expressions in the living room, after the fight. First there is still a lot of anger, then, in particular when Ben enters, he comes to the realization that perhaps he has gone too far. Then Hoss shows defiance and tries to avoid the confrontation with Ben. No words are needed.

When Regan talks to Hoss about the afternoon while dancing and says "I couldn't stop him", I always shake my head at Hoss' reply "I know". Is that how he really thinks about his brother? And then I'm relieved that Regan is briefly unsettled, hearing that Ben already knows about that afternoon´s incident. Now she has to retreat.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the "I couldn't stop him" line. And you're right - that's a bit of a slam if Hoss said "I know" intentionally and not just to placate her. It's bad enough for him to believe Adam seduced his girl but to believe he forced himself on her? Nope. I think Hoss went deaf for a moment.
That's my family... which means the odds have changed.
- Adam in "Toy Soldier"

Post Reply

Return to “Season 5”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest