Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Re: Episode 128 - MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Post by Sierra Girl » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:01 pm

Sharry wrote:I have watched My Brother's Keeper with renewed focus, and I was able to see more this time; I thought the emotions surely are there & running through Adam's (Pernell's) eyes, also demonstrated by the heavy slump of his shoulders, & the exhausted slouch of a man momentarily resigned to having not enough control of a critical situation.
Having read all the comments, I, like Sharry, have gone away and re-watched My Brother's Keeper with a fresh perspective. I will admit that I used to think he wasn't putting 100% into it. But watching it again, his acting is actually really subtle and the emotion in his eyes is so moving. And I can see now that the 'flatness' in his voice can be construed as someone completely defeated by the situation he's in. It's as though he is reining in all the anger and frustration just to get through the ordeal, and this tension escapes via snapping at the Reardons.

This may be a bit controversial (don't hate me, I'm a bonefide Adam Gal, honest!) but I'd love to have seen what PR would have done with this particular episode in the first couple of series.
....Runs away and hides under a ponderosa pine :scared3....
These users thanked the author Sierra Girl for the post (total 2):
SharryMajito

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Sierra Girl - no need to hide. Those of us who pay this much attention to Adam probably wonder what Pernell might have done in a few different scenarios if something might have been changed or different.

Who knows? Maybe he thought the same at times, as he's known to have said he was never truly satisfied with his own work. I myself, however, find him very satisfying in this episode, as well as all kinds of other things he did. :grin
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
Sierra Girl

zarapam
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 3

Group Member 100 Posts Boomers Million

View all badges

Post by zarapam » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:45 pm

I used to like the Reardons and winced when Adam snapped at them. After watching the episode a few times, though, I have lost sympathy for them. They were helpful in getting Little Joe home but after that they were annoying. While Adam is frantically worried about Joe and beating himself up, Sheila takes advantage of him at a moment when he's vulnerable to try to lure him away for herself. And Mr. Reardon inappropriately tries to comfort him by offering up depressing literary quotes: "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Seriously, who would say that to somebody in a crisis situation like this. No wonder Adam became abrasive.

ljlover2001
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 30
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joseph

100 Posts Episode Summary Cock & Bull So You Think You Know Bonanza
Fun with 1's Break the record Valentine's Day 2010 Valentine's Day 2011
Letters to Santa 2012 Meet and greet chat Meet and greet chat Stuffed in chat
Chat Badge Fun Lorne Greene's Birthday 2010 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2011 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2013

View all badges

Post by ljlover2001 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:16 pm

As a Little Joe fan from the age of 6, I was disappointed with this episode, as I don't think Adam spent enough time with Joe, once they got back to the house. He looked after him really well, on the trail, but once they got home, IMO Adam spent too much time wallowing in self pity and banging on about what was wrong with the West, rather than physically tending to his very ill little brother, who didn't have any of his family there with him. I mean, if Pa had been at the ranch he wouldn't have left Joe's side. The Reardons were nice to help Adam get Joe home, but they should have left after that.
And when both Reardon and Adam started quoting Thoreau, that was too much for me. Poor Joe is writhing in agony, calling out for Adam and he's sat downstairs quoting some guy, instead of being with his baby brother.
Little Joe forever
Lynne

Kaethe
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Post by Kaethe » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:54 pm

I was really surprised when Sheila told Adam he could kiss her.
I did not feel that kind of energy between them.
There were some nice moments between them but nothing I would consider romantic.
The blurb for the episode that Adam considers leaving the Ponderosa and moving to Philly with the woman. This I did not get from the episode. Yes, in the heat of all the trouble Adam see many negatives of the early West. Glad he stayed. As Sheila remarked, Adam would not fit in back east in Sheila's life style.
Kaethe

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:54 pm

This was one of those episodes that didn't need a guest star.
These users thanked the author Calamity for the post (total 2):
SharryMajito
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:51 pm

Sounds to me like many people in this thread have a problem with the way the story was written and not with Pernell's acting. just saying. Also let's not forget they had little time to rehearse. This has been stated by several guest stars also. Pernell like rehearsing and hated they rushed way they made the series. Remember they made close to 33,34 episodes a year back then. That's 2/3 of a year. During the reruns in the summer, you never got to see all the year's episodes again. Very busy schedule and in the early seasons quite a bit was on location and not on the sound stage.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:49 pm

Julianna wrote:Sounds to me like many people in this thread have a problem with the way the story was written and not with Pernell's acting. just saying. Also let's not forget they had little time to rehearse. This has been stated by several guest stars also. Pernell like rehearsing and hated they rushed way they made the series. Remember they made close to 33,34 episodes a year back then. That's 2/3 of a year. During the reruns in the summer, you never got to see all the year's episodes again. Very busy schedule and in the early seasons quite a bit was on location and not on the sound stage.
Perhaps you could re-write it to suit your own. I did that with the episode A Matter of Circumstance. I re-wrote it and titled it, A Painful Reunion or A Matter of Coincidence. It's in the library, if you'd like to read it. :grin
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

bijallashkari
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: little joe

Post by bijallashkari » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:55 pm

:adam I have seen many episodes of Bonanza & became a great fan of all characters.As far as I am concerned I watched the episode several times & felt that PR acted well.just imagine the situation he was in.Being the eldest one has the whole situation over his shoulder in absence of the father.By mistake he shot his little brother & due to that even wolf attacked. He must be in quite a shock. He maintained his cool & took care of things by removing the bullet first which again was a jolt to see his little brother's blood & pain .above all doctor 's reaction & No medicine thing & He could not sleep for may be three nights & took a due care of Joe .He didn't ignore Joe but was really difficult for him to see Joe in so much pain & his helpless Ness.In such adverse situation somebody is trying to maintain cool.Thats what in the whole episode Adam depicted & I loved It.& what to tell about Joe .He is so cute , adorable , lovely in pain .I think I have SJS .Reardons I didn't care but there appearances annoyed me a bit!!
Last edited by bijallashkari on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

bijallashkari
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: little joe

Post by bijallashkari » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:03 am

Actually I think some people arr not so much expressive but if he showed some more concern it would look better in that episode !!!

Return to “Season 4”