Episode 117 - ELEGY FOR A HANGMAN

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 117 - ELEGY FOR A HANGMAN

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Date: January 20, 1963

Summary: Bob Jolley tries to open a murder case for which his father was executed.

Written by: E.M. Parsons and Shirley Hendryx
Directed by: Hollingsworth Morse
Guest Stars: Otto Kruger (Judge Harry Whittaker), Keir Dullea (Bob Jolley) Kevin Hagen as Hobie Klinderman, Ron Soble as Morton (hired killer) and Roy Engel as....Dr. Paul Kay.

Slideshow courtesy of Adamant

dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Amazon Buyer Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Fun With Captions Level 2 Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 45,000 Posts Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 117 - ELEGY FOR A HANGMAN

Post by dougsgirl » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:24 pm

I think it's strange that Adam was drinking a beer during the "court" scene and then later announces, "the bar is open gentlemen".

Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Ponderosa Prospects
1,000 Posts 100 Posts Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:13 pm

This is an interesting episode. There isn’t too much of a plot, but there are good scenes. One of my favorite parts is when Adam gives the young man a talking to while stopping him with one hand. He has also no trouble captivating his audience by using a table as his stage. Ultimately, Adam is able to play “Law and Order,” in the comforts of a saloon.

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:50 pm

This episode is really a strange one. As Drifter says there are many good scenes. Sadly this is about how the railroad could do just about anything back then and they did. This is one where Ben should have been backing his son. He does tell him to do what he thinks best, but at the end he should have let Adam know he agrees with his choice. My husband tells me that even today the railroad is very powerful and can still dictate to municipal authorities.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 307
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:55 pm

dougsgirl wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:24 pm
I think it's strange that Adam was drinking a beer during the "court" scene and then later announces, "the bar is open gentlemen".
I think Adam's bar's open announcement was for the heavy-duty grain alcohol. I don't remember Adam drinking a beer but I'm sure he was. Perhaps beer was seen as on the level of sarsaparilla.

I see this episode as a way to showcase Adam's proclivity for cagey, logical thinking. After all, he is the one who wants to wait for the hearing to see whether or not Joly should be arrested (it rested on the caliber of the bullet) and if the judge would consider the evidence, and Adam also catches Hobie in a lie through proper questioning. The boy shoulda been a lawyer.

And if anyone questions whether or not a senator could have been involved in murder, well, watch Deadwood: the Movie. Nowadays, there is the law of eminent domain where the city or other entity can take your property whether you concede or not.

And I too like the scene (see the screen caps I took in the intro) where Adam swings Joly about and says Joly seems determined to stir people up. Joly looks absolutely terrified when Adam does this --and when Adam smooths out his lapel. But my favorite is when Adam pulls out the cork with his teeth and then "pops" it across the room.

elegy_20~0.jpg
cork
elegy_20~0.jpg (41.04 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Last edited by Adamant on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
Julianna
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Yes, I agree with those wonderful scenes you mentioned Adamant! I also like the scene where Adam disarms the gunfighter.
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
Adamant

janet0312
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 5

PODs Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Amazon Buyer 100 Posts
New Member Post

View all badges

Post by janet0312 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:08 am

[/quote]

And I too like the scene (see the screen caps I took in the intro) where Adam swings Joly about and says Joly seems determined to stir people up. Joly looks absolutely terrified when Adam does this --and when Adam smooths out his lapel. But my favorite is when Adam pulls out the cork with his teeth and then "pops" it across the room.

elegy_20~0.jpg [/quote]

I watched this one the other night after work. I had to play the cork scene a couple times because I thought it was pretty good too.

bzgal1960
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss/Little Joe

Post by bzgal1960 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:16 pm

I love that Doc Baker from LHOP is in this episode!
"Did you ever find that people are more important than places?" ~Ben Cartwright

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:39 am

In this episode Adam shows what an outstanding lawyer he could have been if he had chosen that path. He pursued his questioning in a very logical and methodical manner in order to bring out the truth. We all know what a strong sense of justice he has. And he also seems to have an instinct about where the truth of a situation lies. Even though Bob Jolley had an irritating manner that caused many people to want to dismiss him, Adam somehow sensed that his complaints had some validity.

debpet :adam

Return to “Season 4”