Episode 102 - THE QUEST

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 102 - THE QUEST

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Date: September 30, 1962

Summary: Little Joe wants to prove that he can handle responsibility and proves himself by competing for and by completing a timber contract without the help of his family.

Written by: John Joseph, Thomas Thompson
Directed by: Christian Nyby
Guest Stars: Dave Donovan...Jim Beck Will Poavey...Grant Richards Jake Webber...Frank Gerstle Mr. Crawford...Dan Riss Drunk...Harry Lauter Mr. Hawkins...Charles Seel Mr. Simpson...Grandon Rhodes Bob Miles...(uncredited stunt double) Bill Clark...(uncredited extra) Bartender...Cosmo Sardo...(uncredited) Betty Endicott...(uncredited extra)

Slideshow courtesy of ansinico

littlejoenice
Buckaroo
Buckaroo
Badges: 177
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 16 Spring Awakens 2020 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 15
Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Crafting 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 14
Persistant Prospector Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Valentine's Day 2020
Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 BINGO Line Winter 2020 Reader's Choice Level 6 WAT 9

View all badges

Re: Episode 102 - THE QUEST

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm

I liked this episode, especially the opening, where Joe socks his brother one in the jaw! It's not really unheard or unseen behavior, as Joe and Adam often had their differences, but even so, you never really saw Joe take a deliberate punch at him. I especially liked Ben's advice about sticking together, and Joe swallowed his pride and eventually brought his family in to help him.
All for one and one for all, kind of like the Musketeers, even when one thought he could do things on his own. Everybody needs help with something or other in their lives. It just took Little Joe a while to realize that.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 160
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

20,000 Posts Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Strike Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020
Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host Pattern This!
WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:59 pm

I sometimes re-play the scene of Joe punching his brothers. That was funny! :laughing Joe felt like everything he did was just a joke to his brothers and was determined to do things on his own. In the end he realized there's no one like family to stand by you and help you when you need it. :very happy
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
NelleyCartwright

Janet the Wicked
Drover
Drover
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 1,000 Posts Rethink, Recycle, Reuse!
Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9 10th Anniversary Letter W
Step up to 2020 Don't Blink PODs Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Amazon Buyer 100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:22 pm

I watched The Quest last night and thought it was a darn good episode. What I loved about it the most is the relationship between Ben and Joe. Ben puts his arm around Joe's shoulder to comfort him. As the kid is talking, Ben is massaging his shoulder. I thought that this is really good acting or Lorne Greene really thought of ML as his son. Well, anyway, it brings me closer to the family, makes me love them all the more when I notice little extras like this.
Is that all you can think about at a time like this, cake???

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 72
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Fun With Captions Level 2 Gardening 2020 Crafting 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Pattern This! WAT 9
12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019 December Delectables

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:37 pm

This episodes has a few moments I love. The bar scene where the big brothers interfere with Joe. A good brother to brothers moment. Especially when Hoss and Adam deliver Pa’s message. I also love the Joe/ Pa moment when Ben tries to show Joe how much stronger they are working together rather than on their own. Great moment for the family as a whole when Joe finally admits he needs help and everyone is willing and eager to help. I disliked how the script has Ben dismissing his older sons to bed like they were Teenage sons. The dialog should have been changed asking them to simply leave the room so he could talk to Joe privately.

dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 291

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 BINGO L Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 50,000 Posts
Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Pattern This! WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB

View all badges

Post by dougsgirl » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:58 pm

Julianna wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:37 pm
This episodes has a few moments I love. The bar scene where the big brothers interfere with Joe. A good brother to brothers moment. Especially when Hoss and Adam deliver Pa’s message. I also love the Joe/ Pa moment when Ben tries to show Joe how much stronger they are working together rather than on their own. Great moment for the family as a whole when Joe finally admits he needs help and everyone is willing and eager to help. I disliked how the script has Ben dismissing his older sons to bed like they were Teenage sons. The dialog should have been changed asking them to simply leave the room so he could talk to Joe privately.
I agree wholeheartedly with all your comments. Ben did that to Adam and Hoss several times and I often wondered how strange for him telling grown sons to go to bed. I sure this is part of what Pernell meant when he was talking about different scene's he didn't like doing.
These users thanked the author dougsgirl for the post:
Julianna

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 72

Fun With Captions Level 2 Gardening 2020 Crafting 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Pattern This! WAT 9
12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019 December Delectables

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:05 pm

dougsgirl wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:58 pm
Julianna wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:37 pm
I agree wholeheartedly with all your comments. Ben did that to Adam and Hoss several times and I often wondered how strange for him telling grown sons to go to bed. I sure this is part of what Pernell meant when he was talking about different scene's he didn't like doing.
I think your assumption is correct. Pernell didn’t like how they always made them grown men asking Pa for permission for everything they did. I believe in an interview he said he had an impotent role. Everywhere there was the father figure.

rogell
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 1

Group Member

View all badges

Post by rogell » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:42 pm

I like this episode and the family dynamics it shows. It always makes me cringe however when Ben tells the "boys" to go to bed.

Return to “Season 4”