Episode 88 - THE JACKKNIFE

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 63
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

December Delectables Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4
Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Re: Episode 88 - THE JACKKNIFE

Post by Sharry » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:00 am

PlatoofthePonderosa wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:29 am
When I think of "ultimate Adam episodes" that demonstrate his character, his strength, and his intelligence, I've always tended to think of "The Ride" and "The Crucible." But recently I've really, really been appreciating this one.
The way Adam comes in and cares for this struggling family, as a whole and as individuals, is just perfect. I love every single scene with him and Jody. This story highlights not only his strength, capability, and intelligence, but his gentle, thoughtful side. In some ways, this episode gives us the best version of Adam we ever get to see.
Does anyone else feel this way?
Yes. All of the traits you site are exactly what is most appealing to me about Adam. Oh yes, he's also handsome, handsome, and handsome. However, it's his intellect combined with his simple kindness that sets him apart for me. He's much like both of his other brothers in that way. He also extends himself to his family in the same way he cares about others, or at least, that's my take on him. :grin
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
PlatoofthePonderosa

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 30
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

December Delectables Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018
FFW 2018 Title Search FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts
FanFic Writer Badge Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:16 am

Mmm. What year did Shane come out in theaters? This is a very, very, very similar story in a lot of ways -- and it shows off Adam beautifully as not just that dangerous man, that gunfighter, that passing-through, glamorous figure (at least in Jody's eyes) but as that grownup who sees that Ann loves her husband and her son, and that the boy's dad needs to have a family to come back to or he might not make it through the consequences of his bad actions with an intact soul. He's going to leave everybody in this family room to grow back together as a family, while making as sure as he can that this family's future doesn't come at the cost of his family's.

I think all the actors deserve an extra round of applause for pulling this off, but oh, the writer did a fine job here too. Not to mention the direction, because this isn't played up in a maudlin way -- that would've been really, really easy given the way most tv shows of the time depicted "families in trouble" coming along.

This is more of a hero role in all the different ways heroes are -- impermanent, a little mysterious (from the farm family's point of view), but in all the ways that matter, an honest friend and helper (Seems to happen to Adam a lot; see "Springtime" for another example.) whose own stake in the story is that he just can't not try to leave these people better off than when he found them.
These users thanked the author RedShirt for the post (total 2):
SharryPlatoofthePonderosa
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 57
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

December Delectables Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:15 pm

RedShirt wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:16 am

This is more of a hero role in all the different ways heroes are -- impermanent, a little mysterious (from the farm family's point of view), but in all the ways that matter, an honest friend and helper (Seems to happen to Adam a lot; see "Springtime" for another example.) whose own stake in the story is that he just can't not try to leave these people better off than when he found them.
I agree. Well said! :adam :wink

Return to “Season 3”