Episode 88 - THE JACKKNIFE

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 88 - THE JACKKNIFE

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:59 am

Date: February 18, 1962

Summary: Adam stumbles onto a man who he suspects is part of a gang that has been rustling steer from the Ponderosa herd. Adam gets to know the wife and the man’s son and decides this man deserves a second chance.

Written by: Frank Chase
Directed by: William Witney
Guest Stars: Ann Grant...Bethel Leslie... Matthew Grant...John Archer Jody Grant...Donald Losby Rustler...Robert Karnes Chad...Bob Harris... Bob Miles...(uncredited stunt double)

Slideshow courtesy of Gillie

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Re: Episode 88 - THE JACKKNIFE

Post by Cartwright fan. » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:03 pm

I just realized today as I watched this episode, that there's a connection, (coincidental maybe), to "Inger My Love". When Jody comes to Adam and asks him if his pa is bad, Adam tells him, "He might do a bad thing, but he's not bad." And when Adam asks the same question to Inger, she tells him, "He might get angry and do a bad thing, but he is not bad." Almost the exact same answer to the same question. Logically, I'd say it's coincidence, but I don't know for sure. :shrug What does everyone else think?
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Well, the Jackknife episode (Ep. 88, aired 2/18/62) actually came before Inger My Love (Ep.95, aired 4/15/62) though they were both in Season 3. I guess it's possible that the writer for Jackknife could have been aware of elements of other scripts under development. Or the writer for Inger might have liked that line from the earlier script and decided to adapt it. But I'm more inclined to think that it was in fact a happy coincidence. What I love about this episode is how wonderful Adam is with Jody. I also like Matt's reply when his "friends" question him about why Adam would be helping him..."That's the kind of man he is". indeed.

debpet2 :adam
These users thanked the author debpet2 for the post:
Cartwright fan.

Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Ponderosa Prospects
1,000 Posts 100 Posts Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:27 pm

I think if Matthew was out of the picture, Adam would be a good father for Jody. He really admired and respected him. Ann may have appreciated him, too. He even "defended" her honor.

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 372

Administrator Admin Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables
Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by January » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Drifter wrote:I think if Matthew was out of the picture, Adam would be a good father for Jody. He really admired and respected him. Ann may have appreciated him, too. He even "defended" her honor.
My favorite episode. :grin I tried to merge an old thread here to this episode guide, but because of the date being earlier than my ep guide is, the flow didn't work. I'll link the old thread here if anybody wants to read.

Adam & Ann getting together ... I think I would like that. Jody felt comfortable with Adam, that's for sure. I also liked the actress playing Ann and I think she deserved a good guy like Adam. I could definitely see that happening.
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 57

December Delectables Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:06 pm

I could have sworn I commented somewhere on Boomers about this episode! Oh well! One of my favorite episodes forAdam. This has such sweet moments for Adam with Jody! Adam provides a very good example for. Jody to look up to and Jody has a good repore with him. Donald Losby is great as Jody! I too think Ann Grant could have made a good wife for Adam. Too bad David Dortort was so rigid about no wives for the Cartwrights! There is a wonder fan video on you- tube using scenes from this and a few other episodes called Adam’s Legacy . It gives a direction for Adam after his family is gone and he starts a new family with Jody and Ann Grant on The Ponderosa . It is by someone called Nic
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
January

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 372

Administrator Admin Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables
Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by January » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Julianna wrote:I could have sworn I commented somewhere on Boomers about this episode!
You did. It's explained in my post right above yours. :thumbup
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Gillie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 458

Global Moderator Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables Reader's Choice Level 7
Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019
Halloween ART 2019 Reader's Choice Level 6 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO L Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3

View all badges

Post by Gillie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Adam and Jody clearly were a match...not so sure about Ann and Adam. I love how Adam walked the line between involved and yet giving Ann and Matthew the space to put their lives back together.
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
Proud owner of Adam's Guitar, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Adam to Joe: "You heard what he said. We look for little green men riding on hound dogs."
"Well, Jessie, I'm not just sure I pleased you." Jim Boyer
:grimesgirl

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 154
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019
Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon May 13, 2019 11:39 am

Cartwright fan. wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:03 pm
I just realized today as I watched this episode, that there's a connection, (coincidental maybe), to "Inger My Love". When Jody comes to Adam and asks him if his pa is bad, Adam tells him, "He might do a bad thing, but he's not bad." And when Adam asks the same question to Inger, she tells him, "He might get angry and do a bad thing, but he is not bad." Almost the exact same answer to the same question. Logically, I'd say it's coincidence, but I don't know for sure. :shrug What does everyone else think?

I just realized that the other night when I watched it for the second--or third--time. :laughing
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
barbp
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 35

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday
Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:29 am

When I think of "ultimate Adam episodes" that demonstrate his character, his strength, and his intelligence, I've always tended to think of "The Ride" and "The Crucible." But recently I've really, really been appreciating this one.
The way Adam comes in and cares for this struggling family, as a whole and as individuals, is just perfect. I love every single scene with him and Jody. This story highlights not only his strength, capability, and intelligence, but his gentle, thoughtful side. In some ways, this episode gives us the best version of Adam we ever get to see.
Does anyone else feel this way?
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post:
Sharry
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Return to “Season 3”