Episode 94 - THE CRUCIBLE

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
showdown
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 13
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Time For A Commercial Break 3 The Reading Club September Song 2017 Readin', Writin' ...
Hidden Treasures Snail BINGO Quotes Stepping Up 2017 100 Posts
PODs The Reading Club Halloween Tales 2016 September Song 2016
School Daze

View all badges

Re: Episode 94 - THE CRUCIBLE

Post by showdown » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:03 am

windward wrote: Why did Kane die? Did Adam hurt him that much in their fight?
That´s what I have asked myself many times. Adam was in a bad constitution, worse than Kane. But Kane was disillusioned, he has resigned and given himself up for lost. That makes you weak, Adam is strong in every situation. Adam had a goal. Survival at any cost.
Sitting alone in the desert, seeing nothing than dust and hard work for so long time. That makes you dangerous and you become a loose cannon. Lee Marvin was stroke of good luck for this role and although it is a bad story for Adam it is a pleasure watching these two charismatic actors.
And yes, absolutely right, this episode should have been a two-parter! :yes

alexhammond
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: adam

Post by alexhammond » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:30 pm

This is a show about MEN. Old school men, at that. Adam would have needed some rest and good food and plenty of water and....that's about IT. He'd have had very little to 'recover' from psychologically. Adam was, if anything, the hardest minded member of the family. Not only was he the cynic in the bunch, but he was also the smartest, in general. I don't imagine him having any trouble getting past the incident. I think he'd have felt exactly like I imagine I would have felt after such an ordeal....very fortunate to be alive and perhaps more appreciative of his good life.
These users thanked the author alexhammond for the post:
Julianna

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:28 am

alexhammond wrote:This is a show about MEN. Old school men, at that. Adam would have needed some rest and good food and plenty of water and....that's about IT. He'd have had very little to 'recover' from psychologically. Adam was, if anything, the hardest minded member of the family. Not only was he the cynic in the bunch, but he was also the smartest, in general. I don't imagine him having any trouble getting past the incident. I think he'd have felt exactly like I imagine I would have felt after such an ordeal....very fortunate to be alive and perhaps more appreciative of his good life.
First of all, I stumbled over your "show about MEN". What is this supposed to mean? Men don't feel, men don't cry, men aren't shattered by special events? Maybe men in those days did not show their feelings that obviously, but they were human beings nevertheless - even if they hid those feelings as "non-manly".
Adam stated at the beginning of the ep that there was nothing in the world that could make him kill another person without any need. But Kane did so - and shattered Adam's beliefs about himself. Adam realized in the end that he was not the man he had always believed he was. There were things/events that could bring him to kill instead of just injuring a man. He WANTED to kill Kane - remember? - and just Kane's laughter made him realize what he was about to do. And being an analyst and deep thinker, Adam certainly would go brooding about it for quite a while. Perhaps he would not talk to anyone at first, but in the end - according to the principles this show was built - he almost certainly would talk to either Ben or Hoss about it.
No one, man or woman, can take a blow to the core of his own self-image and go on as if nothing happened, believe me. Even if they don't show it to others.
Perhaps you have not yet experienced this in your own life, because your statement sounds very young.
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 123

Forum Moderator Christmas Card Team Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019
Oscar Chat 2019 Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018
Thanksgiving 2018 Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3
Behind The Scenes Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by ellen » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:04 am

Adam didn't show long term effects from his ordeal because Bonanza rarely did story arcs. I think it would have been interesting to see Adam having flashbacks or nightmares in later episodes, but that just wasn't going to happen.

I think one of the appeals of "Bonanza" to female fans (besides the obvious!) is that the men DID show emotions such as friendship and love of family.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 154
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019
Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:56 pm

ellen wrote:Adam didn't show long term effects from his ordeal because Bonanza rarely did story arcs. I think it would have been interesting to see Adam having flashbacks or nightmares in later episodes, but that just wasn't going to happen.

I think one of the appeals of "Bonanza" to female fans (besides the obvious!) is that the men DID show emotions such as friendship and love of family.
Keep an eye out in the Library, Ellen. I'm working on a story for The Crucible right now. It'll be posting when it is ready.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Pt29646
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Reader's Choice Level 2 Reader's Choice Level 1 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Summer Writing Challenge 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 Step Up To 2018
Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 School Daze II 2017 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2017
Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017 Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017

View all badges

Post by Pt29646 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:26 am

There's a good WHN by Jeannie C called The Scars Will Fade on the Bonanza Legacy site. It's one of the better ones I've read.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 154
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019
Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:46 am

Pt29646 wrote:There's a good WHN by Jeannie C called The Scars Will Fade on the Bonanza Legacy site. It's one of the better ones I've read.
I've never read that one, as I do not read anything above a G rating. I think mine is coming along pretty good so far. I tried using a notebook of only 32 pages, as I didn't want it to be too long. Sure enough, I'm almost finished in the notebook, and haven't even reached the climax yet. Going to be longer than I expected, that's for sure.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

aristocats
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 1

Meet & Greet Chat

View all badges

Post by aristocats » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:14 pm

I liked the episode even if I would like to hit Adam for mentioning the amount of money he has with him. The scene in the bath was to funny and the end with Adam falling in Ben's arms was just great. I think what made it so special was because it was so out of character for Adam. Everyone expects Joe to react that way but bit Adam.

There are many great stories about the Crucible.
I read the one from from adamant and it's great to see it from another perspective.

My favorites are What the Vultures bring and the light Home from Calim 11 also at Bonanza Legacy. You see how hard it is for Adam to deal with what happened in the desert

Gillie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 458

Global Moderator Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables Reader's Choice Level 7
Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019
Halloween ART 2019 Reader's Choice Level 6 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO L Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3

View all badges

Post by Gillie » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:43 pm

I'm ambivalent about this ep because I don't understand why Adam would have had any qualms about doing whatever necessary to get away from a man who was threatening his life, up to and including killing him by whatever means necessary! Kane wasn't driving Adam to murder him in a fit of passion. To me it seems a clear case of self-defense, and I don't buy the premise that Adam would have been a lesser man for acting in self-defense. The Cartwrights certainly killed many men who threatened them or the Ponderosa. Why not Kane? :shrug
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
Proud owner of Adam's Guitar, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Adam to Joe: "You heard what he said. We look for little green men riding on hound dogs."
"Well, Jessie, I'm not just sure I pleased you." Jim Boyer
:grimesgirl

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Gillie wrote: Why not Kane? :shrug
He had no qualms about shooting Ross Marquette or Jesse Sanders and he actually liked those men.
These users thanked the author Calamity for the post:
Gillie
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Return to “Season 3”