Episode 92 - LOOK TO THE STARS

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 92 - LOOK TO THE STARS

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:15 am

Date: March 18, 1962

Summary: The Cartwrights come to the aid of a school boy, Albert Michaelson, who is being denied a fair education by the local school teacher. The real Albert Michaelson won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1907.

Written by: Robert Fresco, Paul Rink
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Albert Michelson...Douglas Lambert George Norton...William Schallert Samuel Michaelson...Joe De Santis Mrs. Michelson...Penny Santon Henry P. Quince...Booth Colman Antonio Garcia...Salvador Baguez Boardman....Wallace Rooney Miguel Garcia...Richard Vera Bob Miles...(uncredited stunt double) Bill Clark...(uncredited stunt double) Brunette Townsgirl...Betty Endicott...(uncredited)

Slideshow images courtesy of Freya

Janet the Wicked
Drover
Drover
Badges: 17
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

July 4 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
1,000 Posts Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020
WAT 9 10th Anniversary Letter W Step up to 2020 Don't Blink
PODs Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Amazon Buyer 100 Posts

View all badges

Re: Episode 92 - LOOK TO THE STARS

Post by Janet the Wicked » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:39 pm

I absolutely love this episode. I love any episode that features bigotry and how the Cartwrights and Virginia City denizens dealt with it. Usually it comes in the form of some drunken gunslingers, but in this case the culprit is the schoolteacher who turns away students he feels are not suited to be educated.

I would have loved to have been on the receiving end of Lorne Greene's script for this week. He is all over the Paramount lot. Virginia City, Exterior shot, Ben enters school house, Ben enters court house, Ben enters livery stable, Ben enters mercantile store...
Is that all you can think about at a time like this, cake???

Touch nothing!

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 164
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

July 4 2020 BINGO Participant Summer 2020 BINGO Snail Summer 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020
20,000 Posts Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Strike Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020
Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host Pattern This!

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:17 pm

Some of the students the school teacher turned away had brilliant minds, such as Albert Michaelson who later was a Nobel prize winner. I agree, this episode sends out a message-never judge people by their looks or religion. Don't the Cartwright sons look terrific in the picture? Hoss even has tears in his eyes. :thumbup
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
Janet the Wicked

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 132
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator July 4 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
Oscar Chat 2020 Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9
12th Anniversary BB Christmas Baubles 2019 Christmas Card Team Zazzle Buyer
Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019 Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019

View all badges

Post by ellen » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:59 pm

This episode is as relevant today as it was 50 years ago... maybe more so. Sometimes prejudice isn't as blatant as Mr. Norton's, but we're all guilty of making judgments based on appearance, race, accent... so many things. I think it's more dangerous to think "oh, I don't have any prejudices" than "I need to recognize when I act that way."
These users thanked the author ellen for the post (total 2):
ChenoaSharry
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

rogell
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Group Member

View all badges

Post by rogell » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:50 pm

I really like this episode although I think it was too forgiving for people who are bigots. I find it hard to believe that the teacher didn't realize he was a bigot. I know it's only an hour show but I didn't care for the ending. Also as a black woman I thought that not having a black student as one of the boys expelled from school was a failure on the part of Bonanza directors, writers and producers. Race relations in the U.S. at the time could have used a shot in the arm. I'm sure they were all thinking of how to address the topic without offending some of their viewers.

Return to “Season 3”