Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
marcian
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

New Member Post

View all badges

Re: Episode 90 - THE WOOING OF ABIGAIL JONES

Post by marcian » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:01 pm

I love that episode when Adam was reading that book I don't know who wrote that book.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects
Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:24 am

marcian wrote:I love that episode when Adam was reading that book I don't know who wrote that book.
Are you certain you're not thinking of "Woman of Fire" where Adam reads from "The Taming of the Shrew"? I don't remember Adam reading out loud from a book in this episode -- not that it means it didn't happen, I just don't remember it.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 140

Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 13
Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 12
Fun With Captions Level 3 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Two episodes with strong willed women! Wooing is a very funny episode. Adam getting caught up in his own singing on the porch is great. regarding over thinking the Cartwrights, I'm always trying to figure out how old the boys would have been when such and such happened and trying to fit it into history. yeah, right!
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects
Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:32 pm

elizabeth wrote:Two episodes with strong willed women! Wooing is a very funny episode. Adam getting caught up in his own singing on the porch is great.
I was confused for a minute -- and then I realized that you have marcian have the exact same avatar.

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 140

Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 13
Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 12
Fun With Captions Level 3 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Yep.
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 30
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

December Delectables Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018
FFW 2018 Title Search FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts
FanFic Writer Badge Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:35 pm

That up-and-back leap into the chair is one of my favorite scenes.
Thanks, nowadays, to Utube, it's possible to hear Vaughn Monroe sing many songs I like (and generally, I find I like other singers' versions better,
but that's partly the music / arrangements. It's not that he hasn't got a wonderful voice). I much prefer to listen to Adam sing in the episode!
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Ponderosaism
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Post by Ponderosaism » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:24 am

They would have a BIG problem if the serenade plan actually would have worked. Imagine miss Abigails surprise if she asked Hank to sing to her and discovers that he sounds completely different than the first time.
"Peasants"

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 35

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday
Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Haha! Wow, I'd never stopped to think about that.

I think the same problem applied in Cyrano de Bergerac, the play on which this scenario is based. The lady would eventually come to realize that the man she married was not a beautiful-souled poet, but a bumbling fellow with a very ordinary-sized vocabulary. :laughing There's an opera version of Cyrano with a scene that very much evokes Hank/Adam/Abigail: the lady on the balcony and one man singing in the shadows while the other takes the credit.
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:09 pm

PlatoofthePonderosa wrote:Haha! Wow, I'd never stopped to think about that.

I think the same problem applied in Cyrano de Bergerac, the play on which this scenario is based.
Actually, the story is more aligned with the story of John Alden wooing Priscilla for Miles Standish. Quoting my earlier post
Adamant wrote:In the poem, "The Courtship of Miles Standish by Longfellow, Priscila says, "If I am not worth the wooing, I am not worth the winning," (May not be an exact quote but close) and tells John to speak for himself when he proposes on Miles' behalf. And in that case, John marries Priscilla.
These were real people about whom Longfellow wrote, BTW.

That's why it's entitled "The Wooing of Abigail Jones." Abigail longs to be courted, to be wooed because the man must show she is worth the effort.

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 35

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday
Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:42 am

Adamant wrote:Actually, the story is more aligned with the story of John Alden wooing Priscilla for Miles Standish.
I'd forgotten about that poem! You're so right, Adamant. Abigail literally quotes it when she says, "Why don't you speak for yourself?" :grin

I just looked over the poem and found this gem:
You, who are bred as a scholar, can say it in elegant language,
Such as you read in your books of the pleadings and wooings of lovers,
Such as you think best adapted to win the heart of a maiden.

And this one, as Miles reacts to what happened between Priscilla and John:
Wildly he shouted, and loud: “John Alden! you have betrayed me!
Me, Miles Standish, your friend! have supplanted, defrauded, betrayed me!

It's basically: "I've never had a man pegged so wrong, Adam Cartwright." :ha

I do think there's a clear nod to Cyrano too, though. It's similar to The Courtship and the two are often compared. The fact that Cyrano tries to teach Christian how to speak well and Christian will have none of it, that Cyrano talks to Roxane about looking up at the stars when the heart is full of love, and especially the scene in which both men stand beneath the balcony with Cyrano speaking in Christian's stead...I think it's unlikely they could recreate such a famous scene so nearly without having it in mind.

I think it very possible that the Bonanza writer, having decided on the "clumsy guy gets romantic guy to woo girl in his stead" trope, decided to pull out all the stops and use the best motifs from the most famous instances of this plotline.
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Return to “Season 3”