Episode 90 - THE WOOING OF ABIGAIL JONES

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects
Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3

View all badges

Re: Episode 90 - THE WOOING OF ABIGAIL JONES

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:22 am

Yes, there is a nod to Rostand's Cyrano. I think the Bonanza writers, on the whole, were clever and wrote excellent dialogue and this episode is a primary example. Thank goodness, this has a happy ending for Hank.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
PlatoofthePonderosa
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Estrella
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Estrella » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:39 pm

This is also one of my favourite episodes. Though I cannot understand every word while watching the original version in English language but I can imagine all the scenes. First of all Pernell was an excellent singer. I love his voice.

Perhaps, you can help me. I am confused: It´s regarding the communication between the Cartwright brothers:

Adam: Who´s the girl
Hoss: It ain´t exacatly a girl
Little Joe: Say it again
Hoss: It ain´t exactly a girl

This conversation was in the first part. Sorry for asking that. But was this the joke? Hoss said "it" instead of "she" regarding to Abigail. And he said it again after he was questioned by Little Jo.

I was a child when watching Bonanza the first time. And now, after all these years I ´m looking for the details..
I was surprised when hearing Little Jo saying:
"John Smith and Pocahontas, Anthony/Cleopatra, Sir Walter Raley..”
My first idea was: This must be wrong. I only know the film named Caesar and Cleopatra and not Anthony and Cleopatra. And then I remembered. It was Shakespeare who appears so often in Bonanza. It is really Anthony and Cleopatra.

And last but not least. So many times I´m thinking about that. It was the scene when Hoss was telling Adam to get into a romantic date with Abigail (it must be short after minute 15 or 16). And Adam said: Thank you Mr. Tennyson.
Did he mean the Poet Laureate of Great Britain. Adam was very eduated and well-read.

Nevertheless, I like this episode. The interaction between the brothers. Perfectly wonderful.

With best wishes.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects
Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:59 pm

Estrella wrote:
Adam: Who´s the girl
Hoss: It ain´t exacatly a girl
Little Joe: Say it again
Hoss: It ain´t exactly a girl

This conversation was in the first part. Sorry for asking that. But was this the joke? Hoss said "it" instead of "she" regarding to Abigail. And he said it again after he was questioned by Little Jo.
I interpret it that Hoss means that Abigail is not a "girl", she's a "woman" or she's seen by them as a 3rd gender -- almost sexless.
Estrella wrote:I was a child when watching Bonanza the first time. And now, after all these years I ´m looking for the details..
I was surprised when hearing Little Jo saying:
"John Smith and Pocahontas, Anthony/Cleopatra, Sir Walter Raley..”
My first idea was: This must be wrong. I only know the film named Caesar and Cleopatra and not Anthony and Cleopatra. And then I remembered. It was Shakespeare who appears so often in Bonanza. It is really Anthony and Cleopatra.
Yes, or as Shakespeare wrote, "Antony" and Cleopatra. And it was Sir Walter Raleigh who, in what is an apocryphal story, placed his cape over a mud puddle so a lady -- or Queen Elizabeth I -- wouldn't soil her shoes. Miss Jones loves the romantic heroes of yesteryear and the concept of chivalry and dying for love. And we all know that there was never a "romance" between John Smith and Pocahontas.
Estrella wrote:And last but not least. So many times I´m thinking about that. It was the scene when Hoss was telling Adam to get into a romantic date with Abigail (it must be short after minute 15 or 16). And Adam said: Thank you Mr. Tennyson.
Did he mean the Poet Laureate of Great Britain. Adam was very eduated and well-read.
Yes, Sir Alfred Lord Tennyson. "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." BTW, he wrote that poem after the death of his friend, Arthur Henry Hallam whose passing devastated him. It's by way of consolation.
Last edited by Adamant on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Estrella

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Estrella » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:11 pm

I thank you very much for your quick reply and your answers to all my questions.

sapphyr2018
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Group Member New Member Post

View all badges

Post by sapphyr2018 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:20 am

I laughed so hard to this episode. I wasn't born yet when this episode was made but 6 months later I got out free screaming. Lmao

Episode Guide wrote:Date: March 4, 1962

Summary: Hoss and Joe try to play matchmaker for Ponderosa hand Hank Meyers, who is smitten by the local school teacher, Abigail Jones. The problem is that Abigail has eyes only for Adam Cartwright.

Written by: Norman Lessing
Directed by: Christian Nyby
Guest Stars: Hank Meyers...Vaughn Monroe Abigail Jones...Eileen Ryan Ma Nutley...Norma Varden Margie...Diana Darrin Proprietor...Robert J. Stevenson Ponderosa Hand...Bob Miles...(uncredited) Brunette Saloon Girl...Betty Endicott...(uncredited)

Slideshow courtesy of Gillie

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 30
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

December Delectables Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018
FFW 2018 Title Search FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts
FanFic Writer Badge Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:03 pm

Adamant wrote:Yes, there is a nod to Rostand's Cyrano. I think the Bonanza writers, on the whole, were clever and wrote excellent dialogue and this episode is a primary example. Thank goodness, this has a happy ending for Hank.
Not just Hank.
Pretty sure it's a happy ending for Adam, too.
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 57

December Delectables Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:08 am

I thought I would chime in also. This episode is so great and is one of the reasons that season 3 is the best. Everyone knows that PR favored The Crucible, but he also liked this episode as a favorite too. Somewhere I read that. And just watching it you can see why! So many times comedy is more about circumstances than jokes. We all know how serious Adam is and when uncomfortable things happen to him, it is very funny.PR has the best facial expressions, which are so commical in this. This episode is so much funnier than the first season effort from The Gunmen which is full of comedic actors and I find barely amusing. Norman Lessing took the time to write a superb story and it was well directed by Nyby. I can watch this episode over and over and still remember first seeing it as a child of 6 watching Hoss and Joe abandoning poor Adam as he sang and played guitar. Poor Adam! :sing

Kladde72
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Kladde72 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 am

This episode is so totally funny. I love the part when the Abigail thinks that Adam is in love with her. Poor Adam.

Kladde72

Return to “Season 3”