Episode 82 - THE TALL STRANGER

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Re: Episode 82 - THE TALL STRANGER

Post by RedShirt » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Thank you, ma'am.

Karen Steele was the actress in Ride Lonesome. She also played in The Tin Star, a second season episode of Bonanza, I believe. :adam :thumbup[/quote]

In my own defense, I haven't seen all of Ride Lonesome yet. The cable channel it was most recently on isn't available here....
but it's probably also that I don't pay near the attention to the girls onscreen as I do Adam.
These users thanked the author RedShirt for the post:
flog3greg
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 56
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:22 pm

RedShirt wrote:Thank you, ma'am.

Karen Steele was the actress in Ride Lonesome. She also played in The Tin Star, a second season episode of Bonanza, I believe. :adam :thumbup
In my own defense, I haven't seen all of Ride Lonesome yet. The cable channel it was most recently on isn't available here....
but it's probably also that I don't pay near the attention to the girls onscreen as I do Adam.[/quote] I Understand that! She has very nice things to say about PR in several places that I read. Also I believe you can find Ride Lonesome on You tube. :whistling :adam

RedShirt
Drover
Drover

FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Let the research begin ... :yes
"Also I believe you can find Ride Lonesome on You tube. :whistling :adam "
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:40 am

Coming back to Hoss: For me it was always absulutely understandable that a Hoss-in-love would deal out if he thought his love and/or his girl were in danger. When you're in love, you Are touchy, you Do overreact and you Do silly things - though you don't realize it at that time (my experience :whistling ).
Remember Joe's reaction in "The Lady from Baltimore"? If Ben had not been quick enough to hold him back, Joe would have taught or at least tried to teach Adam what it meant to kiss (or been kissed by) his little brother's fiancée.
Men in love are a dangerous species ... :grin ... but so nice to have!
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:35 am

My biggest problem with the whole discussion is that a lot of people seem to get the impression that Hoss brutally thrashed the man into oblivion while in an angry tyraid. Truth is, it doesn't appear that way to me AT ALL. IMO, he's steaming, but appears to know exactly what he's doing, and he WANTS to hurt Connors. (rightfully so if you ask me.) He knows he's gonna hurt him, but he doesn't want to hurt him really bad, or kill him, otherwise he would have hit him more than once or just shot him if killing him was the idea.

So I really don't think Hoss, "beat" Connors, or didn't know what he was doing. He appeared to understand exactly what he was doing, but he didn't want to stop doing it, because he thought Connors deserved it. Was it right for him to hit him in the first place? Na, not likely. But that doesn't mean he didn't understand what he was doing, or was out of control. As a matter of fact, he was VERY in control to stop himself from hitting Connors again. (you can see he raises his hand, but decides against it.)
These users thanked the author Cartwright fan. for the post:
RedShirt
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:32 am

Cartwright fan. wrote:My biggest problem with the whole discussion is that a lot of people seem to get the impression that Hoss brutally thrashed the man into oblivion while in an angry tyraid. Truth is, it doesn't appear that way to me AT ALL. IMO, he's steaming, but appears to know exactly what he's doing, and he WANTS to hurt Connors. (rightfully so if you ask me.) He knows he's gonna hurt him, but he doesn't want to hurt him really bad, or kill him, otherwise he would have hit him more than once or just shot him if killing him was the idea.

So I really don't think Hoss, "beat" Connors, or didn't know what he was doing. He appeared to understand exactly what he was doing, but he didn't want to stop doing it, because he thought Connors deserved it. Was it right for him to hit him in the first place? Na, not likely. But that doesn't mean he didn't understand what he was doing, or was out of control. As a matter of fact, he was VERY in control to stop himself from hitting Connors again. (you can see he raises his hand, but decides against it.)
Agree! Hoss feels a bottomless hatred towards Connors when the latter suggests that he would give Hoss Margie's baby for an "important fee". Nevertheless he does not use his gun though he might do so, but threatens him by his physical and psychological strength only. And he punches only once and stops when he realizes the other one is unconcious already. There for sure is a murderous hatred in Hoss at the moment Connors starts talking, but IMO this doesn't "turn him loose", he is still not willing to kill him. He could have done a lot more to him IF he would have been out of his mind - which he obviously wasn't.
These users thanked the author manulanee for the post:
Cartwright fan.
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

RedShirt
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:30 pm

I'll second that.
I'd add that women in love can be more dangerous than the male, pushed far enough.
manulanee wrote:Coming back to Hoss: For me it was always absulutely understandable that a Hoss-in-love would deal out if he thought his love and/or his girl were in danger. When you're in love, you Are touchy, you Do overreact and you Do silly things - though you don't realize it at that time (my experience :whistling ).
Remember Joe's reaction in "The Lady from Baltimore"? If Ben had not been quick enough to hold him back, Joe would have taught or at least tried to teach Adam what it meant to kiss (or been kissed by) his little brother's fiancée.
Men in love are a dangerous species ... :grin ... but so nice to have!

:thankyou

Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Ponderosa Prospects
1,000 Posts 100 Posts Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:09 pm

Hate to see Hoss broken hearted. Not sure Margie would be fit for a Cartwright. She’d probably think she settled for Hoss. Funny how all these girls want someone else, when they could have a good life on the Ponderosa.

I’d have to imagine Mr. Connors’ beating wasn’t as bad as when Hoss caught Adam with Ragan Miller...at least Connors deserved it.

Don’t throw stones, but when Adam jokingly tells Hoss “You’re lucky...she’s too good for you,” I (almost) want to tell him “if you’re not ‘too good’ why don’t you marry her?!

:scared3

(Well I DID say ‘almost’!)

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:39 am

I agree with all that's been said that Hoss didn't really put that big of a beating on Connors.

Hoss could have. He could have killed him too, but deep down Hoss's hatred for him was tempered by his morals. He felt such disgust and contempt for Connors that he wanted to make him pay in some way. i think that Hoss really wanted to scare him more than hurt him too badly.

Connors was such a user and thought he was so slick and smart. He thought that he had the upper hand. But seeing Hoss coming towards him probably made him wet his pants! :grin Bullies like him deserved to be scared.

As for the "beating", with his lousy personality, I'm sure Connors had been on the receiving end of a few other punches in his life.

Poor clueless Margie though! She was the biggest loser. She could've had Hoss who loved her and would've treated her like a queen. He would have taken her on long trips if she wanted. They may have even traveled to Europe. With Connors she got no farther than San Francisco before he dumped her.

She was one of those people I put in the "too stupid to live" category. :grin I still think that she and Laura Dayton were cousins.

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 35

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday
Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 pm

PJudith wrote:She was one of those people I put in the "too stupid to live" category. :grin I still think that she and Laura Dayton were cousins.
:rotfl
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Return to “Season 3”