Episode 78 - THE FRENCHMAN

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Pt29646
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Reader's Choice Level 2 Reader's Choice Level 1 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Summer Writing Challenge 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 Step Up To 2018
Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 School Daze II 2017 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2017
Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017 Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017

View all badges

Re: Episode 78 - THE FRENCHMAN

Post by Pt29646 » Tue May 24, 2016 6:50 am

I love the scene in the jail when Adam tells Francois that his sister will probably wind up working in a saloon, that her nickname will probably be "Frenchy." The expression on his face is priceless - at least to me.
These users thanked the author Pt29646 for the post (total 2):
ChenoaLittleJoe4Ever

lovemychico
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 345
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator September Song 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Amazon Buyer
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019

View all badges

Post by lovemychico » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:09 am

Not one of my favorites, but do love the lake scenes with Joe :thud
Joe's Southern Gal. I am his favorite!!
"But Pa, I Love Her" :hearts
:bejules Proud member of BHA
Proud Owner of Joe's pants, Lafe's Auction June 2016

october
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 134
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

September Song 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018
Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 September Song 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink
10th Anniversary Letter O Not So Guilty Pleasures September Song 2017 Valentine's Day 2017
BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Countdown to 1,111,111 Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016

View all badges

Post by october » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:58 am

Putting aside the overdone French accent from the lovely Mademoiselle - loved the interplay between the Cartwrights. Spot the inconsistency with Bonanza is fun and in this episode quite a few.

aristocats
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 1

Meet & Greet Chat

View all badges

Post by aristocats » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:15 pm

I like the scene where Adam and Joe show Hoss how to use the eppee. Some of the other comments are questioning why Adam teaches Hoss and not Joe. Who knows. Maybe it was Adam in the first place who teached Joe.

But there are some things I don't like. First of Eloise. The scenes with her were pretty boring. Joe runs behind her skirt and forgets that he has a family. He doesn't care that her brother wants to kill Hoss or insults his father. Oh and the best I think is. Francois steals the pictures of their mothers and they all don't understand why Ben wants to catch them.

Terina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 170

Forum Moderator Christmas Card Team Super Bowl 2019 10th Anniversary Letter C
11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Thanksgiving 2018 Surprise Level 1
Summer 2018 Cinco de mayo 2018 BINGO Strike Games Edition Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
BINGO Gutterball Games Edition Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Gutterball BINGO Quotes

View all badges

Post by Terina » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:01 pm

This is a cute episode with many humorous parts. Adam's comment about taking a public bath in the middle of the street, the Bluebeard poem and the fencing lesson. I think the reason Adam is teaching Hoss instead of Joe, is Hoss took Adam seriously whereas he would see it as playing with Joe. He made a comment to Adam about Joe being cute.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 153
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:40 am

Terina wrote:This is a cute episode with many humorous parts. Adam's comment about taking a public bath in the middle of the street, the Bluebeard poem and the fencing lesson. I think the reason Adam is teaching Hoss instead of Joe, is Hoss took Adam seriously whereas he would see it as playing with Joe. He made a comment to Adam about Joe being cute.
I loved that poem he wrote about the Cartwrights. Comparing Ben to all the Royals that have what can safely be called a bad reputation. :lol
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:32 am

It's a fun episode that always makes me laugh. I mentioned this one a while ago in a thread about what I learned from Bonanza. If a man threatens to kill your brother,invite him to stay at your house. Really, what was Little Joe thinking? Not about Hoss's health,that's for sure :no

I thought the actor who played Francois was very handsome but a real pain in the butt. I don't know if he was really delusional. I think he just had a personality disorder. He was a walking melodrama in search of an audience, a real drama queen.

The scene when he explains to Hop Sing how to make the perfect omelette and finishes with "voila!" is so funny. I love Hop Sing's reply, "You stay out of HopSing's kitchen or else- voila!" And Hop Sing follows it with a slashing motion across his throat.

I was curious about the real Villon so I searched his name on-line. There is not very much known about his personal life but according to records his father died when Francois was a child. It was just him and his mother. There's no mention of any siblings, no younger sister Eloise. Villon was not his birth name though. He and his mother lived in poverty. Perhaps she died because he was adopted by a Guillaume de Villon who gave him his surname. So unless Francois #2 was also adopted by a man named Villon, he was really stretching the truth to fit his theory. :yes

He had a promising future but he fell into crime. He killed a priest in a brawl but he got a royal pardon. He was later involved in the theft of 500 gold crowns among other crimes.

I don't know why Francois #2 was so keen on hanging. The original was never executed. He was sentenced to hang but his sentence was commuted to banishment from Paris. He was never seen again. But while awaiting execution he composed several ballads just as #2 did. They were entitled "Ballad of Hanged Men" and " I am Francois,They Have Caught Me". He seemed to have a flair for the melodramatic too.

I wonder if Francois #2 had already played out his nutty scenario in Paris and WAS banished. So he tried it again in America. Like I said, drama queen!

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 153
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Perhaps the real Francois Villon was never seen again because he got hung in Paris! :laughing
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:02 pm

More about the famous French poet and writer Francois Villon:
Info in English
I knew that George Brassens (France) and Wolf Biermann (Germany) composed songs with his texts, but it was new to me that even Débussy and Bob Dillon were influenced by him. So, why not Bonanza, too?! :lol
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

Return to “Season 3”