Episode 78 - THE FRENCHMAN

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 78 - THE FRENCHMAN

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:16 am

Date: December 10, 1961

Summary: An arrogant and pompous Frenchman, and his sister, Eloise, show up in Virginia City. He claims to be the reincarnation of Francois Villion, a French poet. To complicate matters, he challenged Hoss to a duel – seeking satisfaction for a perceived insult.

Written by: Norman Lessing
Directed by: Christian Nyby
Guest Stars: Francois Villon...Andre Philippe Eloise...Erika Peters Hop Sing...Victor Sen Yung Roy Coffee...Ray Teal Bill Clark...(uncredited extra) Betty Endicott...(uncredited; extra).

Slideshow image courtesy of ansinico
These users thanked the author Episode Guide for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 370
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Re: Episode 78 - THE FRENCHMAN

Post by January » Fri May 20, 2016 9:03 pm

Was this guy really crazy? And if so, what could have been wrong with him? Was he possibly bi-polar or maybe schitzophrenic, or was he just a good actor? What would be the benifit to his lying about being a French poet from the past? Sort of boggles the mind.

Were these guys crazy, or just absent minded?

Even if the writers forgot, how could Dan and Mike forget they dueled one season earlier in "Badge Without Honor" and do a storyline where Hoss didn't know how to fight with an epee?

So what's your thoughts on this hilarious episode. I'm a fan. :ha
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 143
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat May 21, 2016 2:07 am

I was glad to see Francois leave the Ponderosa! He caused all kinds of trouble. I loved the scenes of Joe and Eloise down by the water! Poor Hoss couldn't use that epee no matter which episode it was.

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat May 21, 2016 7:06 am

January wrote: Was this guy really crazy? And if so, what could have been wrong with him? Was he possibly bi-polar or maybe schitzophrenic, or was he just a good actor? What would be the benifit to his lying about being a French poet from the past? Sort of boggles the mind.
I don't think he was lying; I think he really believed he was the reincarnation of Francois Villion. A lot of people believe in reincarnation; I guess it makes them feel "special", since their previous life always seems to be a famous or important person, never just a farmer or baker. :shrug
January wrote:Even if the writers forgot, how could Dan and Mike forget they dueled one season earlier in "Badge Without Honor" and do a storyline where Hoss didn't know how to fight with an epee?
In "Badge Without Honor", Hoss was just slapping the epee around; he wasn't really dueling with Joe. Joe, on the other hand, seemed to know what he was doing. Since we've seen Joe can fence, it does seem odd that Adam would be the one to instruct Hoss, but maybe he took a fencing class at Back East U.

I like this episode because it is so farcical . And once again, Hoss shows his sensitive side by crying when being read (bad) poetry.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 149
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat May 21, 2016 10:22 am

Speaking of the poetry scene, I rather enjoyed the look on Adam's face. It was almost like, "Who cares? Just hurry up and be done with it already." And then the strange look he gave Hoss? Almost like he was thinking, "Is he crazy? How could he cry over something that silly?"
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

BBG
Drover
Drover
Badges: 43
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: BEN

Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts PR Brick Dedication
FanFic Writer Badge The Reading Club Cowboy Poetry 2012 St. Patrick's Day Limerick
Don't Blink Fun With Captions Hidden Treasures September Song 2012
Team Boomers Loses That's Who??? That's True! Fun with 1's

View all badges

Post by BBG » Sat May 21, 2016 6:27 pm

:rotfl I love all comedy episodes. All the actors had such good timing for comedy and this was one of them. Real entertaining, at least to me. I am glad I have it on DVD so I can watch it whenever I need a funny bone tickled. :rotfl

BBG
These users thanked the author BBG for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Sat May 21, 2016 7:10 pm

This isn't one that I I often watch though it does have some good points (pun intended). I enjoy seeing all our boys working together with some good lines courtesy of the writers. Perhaps I just don't appreciate the humor.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

EllieK
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 38

WAT DDD Without A Trace 6 Search BINGO Quotes Pernell Roberts Birthday 2017
Saint Patrick's Day 2017 Broken Hearts Valentine's Day 2017 BINGO Spare Emoticon Edition
BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Snail Emoticon Edition Without A Trace 5 The Reading Club
Christmas 2016 Group Member 100 Posts Boomers Million

View all badges

Post by EllieK » Sat May 21, 2016 11:46 pm

I enjoy this episode for the farcical comedy and all four Cartwrights seem to be having lots of fun.
I wonder if that Frenchman eventually has his dream come true at the end of a rope :grin
These users thanked the author EllieK for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever

Chenoa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Little Joe & Hoss

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Christmas 2018 Without A Trace 6
Talk like a pirate 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes Search BINGO Quotes Fun With Quotes 2017
Saint Patrick's Day 2017 Countdown to 1,111,111 100 Posts The Reading Club
The Reading Club Oktoberfest 2016 Talk Like A Pirate 2016 St. Patrick's Day 2016

View all badges

Post by Chenoa » Sun May 22, 2016 6:01 pm

This episode is not one of my favourites, but I enjoy the fencing scene with Joe and Adam desperately trying to make Hoss realize the seriousness of his situation and him taking it rather lightly, driving them two crazy :laughing
The Frenchman bothers me (I suppose that´s just what he is intended to ) and when our boys finnaly have him and his sister on that stagecoach (one would think the Frenchman learned his lesson), he startsall overagain about having his sister married and then being free to be hanged :no :thud
These users thanked the author Chenoa for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever
"They´re three fine boys Jed...hard workers and a good head on their shoulders...they are close to each other as brothers should be!" Ben in "Springtime"

eniblick
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 11

Stuffed In Chat Group Member 100 Posts The Reading Club
The Reading Club Game Night 10 Olympic Trivia Quiz Olympics 2016
School Daze Meet & Greet Chat Pernell Roberts 2016

View all badges

Post by eniblick » Mon May 23, 2016 10:44 am

Not one of my favorite episodes, but it does a couple of good moments. First off, Eloise bothered me and Joe running around after her bothered me. I did like how the Frenchman cut of Hoss's buttons.

As someone said earlier, the continuity was not always there. Yes, Hoss did "play" with an epee in season 2, but you also have Adam ridiculing Joe and his "playing" with an epee in the pilot episode. Obviously, Adam is well versed with the epee, whether from college or maybe he did learn from Marie too!. Joe does seem to be better and yes, Joe should have been the one teaching Hoss, but Adam being the oldest takes over the teaching role.

Return to “Season 3”