Episode 70 - THE LONELY HOUSE

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 70 - THE LONELY HOUSE

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:48 am

Date: October 15, 1961

Summary: Little Joe comes to the home of Lee Bolden, the young widow of a family friend. The reason for his visit is to present her with a bank draft – payment for her late husband’s business deal with Ben. While Joe is there, a wounded man, Trock, crashes into the house with his friends and holds them both hostage. Joe recognizes them as the gang that robbed the local bank earlier that day.

Written by: Frank Chase
Directed by: William Witney
Guest Stars: Trock...Paul Richards Lee Bolden...Faith Domergue Gavin...Jim Beck Pooch...Vito Scotti Banker...Ray Hemphill

Slideshow image courtesy of Bejules

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 147
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West

View all badges

Re: Episode 70 - THE LONELY HOUSE

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Anyone ever notice that the widow's house is exactly like the Ponderosa ranch from the outside? Looks to me like Joe didn't really have far to go after all! :rotfl
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 180
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Haha, I've noticed that. They sure liked to re-use the sets they already had. :lol
These users thanked the author CowgirlAtHeart for the post:
littlejoenice
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 147
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Well, in a way, it did save money. And time. Why rebuild a set when they could re-use it? It is rather a smart idea, though it does get funnier the more you think about it.
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
CowgirlAtHeart
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:56 am

Andy Klyde brought this episode up in another thread recently, mentioning that it was originally an Adam story but was rewritten because of an injury that prevented Pernell Roberts from filming that week. I've often thought that this episode still feels like an Adam story: off alone on business for Pa, getting tangled in an attempt to help a random widow, and giving the bad guy a bona fide sermon on the relation between ethics and finance. That speech is 100% Adam.
I've never heard Joe so passionate about the value of money and work before. :laughing
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post:
Julianna
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:31 am

True about all that. Adam WAS the one who liked to come to the rescue of widows. Usually he favored blonde, empty headed ones though!

Joe never seemed as serious about money either. He did like to spend freely in town. Probably since he was born after Ben was successful, he took his wealth a little more for granted. Adam had been there from the start during those early lean years.
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
Julianna

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:57 am

littlejoenice wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:12 pm
Anyone ever notice that the widow's house is exactly like the Ponderosa ranch from the outside? Looks to me like Joe didn't really have far to go after all! :rotfl

I notice that in a lot of episodes. Even Roy's jail looks like it was part of the Ponderosa. Sometimes Joe's bedroom seemed to be in the dining room! :rotfl
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
littlejoenice

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:03 pm

I don't understand why they couldn't have postponed this episode. They did with All Ye His Saints and then rewrote it for Joe. I agree with Plato and PJudith that this episode did not suit Little Joe. Michael Landon acted well in it but it did seem off the mark for his character's attitude and age. Joe rarely went for older women. And I don't recall him chasing any widows.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Julianna wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:03 pm
I don't understand why they couldn't have postponed this episode. They did with All Ye His Saints and then rewrote it for Joe. I agree with Plato and PJudith that this episode did not suit Little Joe. Michael Landon acted well in it but it did seem off the mark for his character's attitude and age. Joe rarely went for older women. And I don't recall him chasing any widows.

Actually, All Ye Saints was not 'rewritten' for Joe. Pernell had left the show so it was given to Joe, as is. He may have been a different actor and little training but as David Dortort once said about Michael 'he's a natural actor with quick responses' Pernell's acting was terrific but so was Michael's, just differently. :thumbup

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:29 pm

daisy60 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:52 pm
Julianna wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Actually, All Ye Saints was not 'rewritten' for Joe. Pernell had left the show so it was given to Joe, as is. He may have been a different actor and little training but as David Dortort once said about Michael 'he's a natural actor with quick responses' Pernell's acting was terrific but so was Michael's, just differently. :thumbup
Right here on this site is a copy of that script. Daisy I read it. It is different from the episode. After reading the script I watched the episode online unedited. It was not the same. Similar but different. Adam swims in the river and Joe does not. The boys father dies in Adam version and in the Joe version he is gravely Ill, but gets better. They supposedly postponed the episode since it was to cold to shoot and have PR swim in the river. But they changed it for Landon anyway. I never said Michael did not act good. I said the part didn’t fit his character Joe. The episode above is okay to watch.

Return to “Season 3”