Episode 53 - VENGEANCE

Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 53 - VENGEANCE

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:40 pm

Date: February 11, 1961

Summary: Hoss accidently kills Willy Twilight by pushing him when Willy's drunk and shooting off his gun. Willy's brother, Red, blames Hoss for his brothers death. Red wants revenge on Hoss and ambushes him. Joe now seeks revenge on Red and goes after him.

Written by: Marion Parsonnet
Directed by: Dick Moder
Guest Stars: Adam Williams (Red Twilight), Keith Richards (Willie Twilight), Beverly Tyler (Mary)

Slideshow images courtesy of Freya

napajackie
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Re: Episode 53 - VENGEANCE

Post by napajackie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:38 pm

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but it's it strange that Joe just left Adam on ground after being shot? He didn't know if Adam was dead or alive at that point.

Sierras
Buckaroo
Buckaroo
Badges: 128
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe Cartwright

Reader's Choice Level 11 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Reader's Choice Level 10 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
Winter Writing Challenge 2019 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Valentine's Day 2020 Reader's Choice Level 9
Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Pattern This! Stuffed in Chat 2020
Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9 Reader's Choice Level 8 12th Anniversary BB

View all badges

Post by Sierras » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:58 am

The way I see it Joe has a very protective streak in him. He has a very deep love for his family and those he cares about. He's very protective of his family. Joe is in a sense the family's protector. At the end of the story Red has shot both of Joe's brothers - trying to kill them, and he's trying to go after Hoss again. At this point Joe is basically fit to be tied. He goes after Red because he has to remove the threat to his family. It takes Adam talking to Joe to get him to calm down and do the right thing. That's my perspective.
"Like father like sons." Echoed by Little Joe in "Springtime"
"Now I know that we are only half brothers, but we are brothers." Adam in "The Hayburner"

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 160
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

20,000 Posts Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Strike Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020
Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host Pattern This!
WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:30 am

I love the scene of Joe at Hoss's bedside. Hoss is Joe's brother and best friend and Joe was going after whoever shot Hoss. I also love the scene in the barn when Joe is saddling Cochise and Adam is right there with Sport already saddled. Great minds think alike!
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post (total 2):
SierrasDrifter

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:04 pm

What I like most about this episode is the way Adam is there to keep Joe from doing something that would ruin his life. He goes after Red Twilight along with Joe, insisting that they go no farther than forcing Red's confession. Later, in the barn, when Joe has Red by the hair and his gun ready, Adam is able to remind Joe of what it would mean if gave in to the impulse to kill. Joe could always rely on Adam, and as much as he might complain about older brother's bossiness, he had to be grateful in the end.

debpet2 :adam
These users thanked the author debpet2 for the post (total 4):
JuliannaSierrasSharryDrifter

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 72

Fun With Captions Level 2 Gardening 2020 Crafting 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Pattern This! WAT 9
12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019 December Delectables

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:46 pm

This is one of my favorite episodes where Adam is there to guide and advise Joe on what to do. It's one of those what if he hadn't been there, what a huge hole there would be type things. Where do you think you're goin', he's my brother too ,Go hurry and get Pa and the Doc and later go ahead and shoot 'im I hope you'll be happy (reverse psych) moments. They looked good together and although older brother was bossy he was much softer at times with Joe than Pa was. I think They made a good team . :adam :joe
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post (total 3):
SierrasSharryDrifter

Sahra
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 3

100 Posts Escape To Ponderosa New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Sahra » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:22 pm

I liked the episode. It had a really odd moment in the beginning -- Joe doesn't seem overly worried that Adam was just shot. But you quickly forget about that gaffe.

I just have to tell you that...I almost burst into laughter during a very powerful, non-funny scene. Ben confronts the surviving brother at the saloon. The first thing we see of him is his hat sliding across the table. Ben gives the vengeful brother a few death glares, but when he asks him piercing questions about a rifle he may or may not own, I couldn't help it. The reason: I was watching in German. I usually watch everything in both versions, original and German dub, because I like Friedrich Schütter's voice. A great voice, although a bit too harsh for Ben's character. But he was Lorne Greene's German voice for as long as he was alive, and in some parts he was 200% perfect. In Roots, for example...his voice was perfect for the character, especially when he was drunk. Now, the reason why I burst into laughter, despite not wanting to: Schütter fell into a Northern German drawl when he said a line about the rifle. I'm from the North, and I'm well acquainted with some people pronouncing "mit einem" as "mippem". I've done it myself. But it is commonly associated with being low-class, and it sounded soooo inappropriate for Ben. It was as if Ben wanted to "axe" that man a question.

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 72

Fun With Captions Level 2 Gardening 2020 Crafting 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Pattern This! WAT 9
12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019 December Delectables

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Sahra wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:22 pm
I liked the episode. It had a really odd moment in the beginning -- Joe doesn't seem overly worried that Adam was just shot. But you quickly forget about that gaffe.

I just have to tell you that...I almost burst into laughter during a very powerful, non-funny scene. Ben confronts the surviving brother at the saloon. The first thing we see of him is his hat sliding across the table. Ben gives the vengeful brother a few death glares, but when he asks him piercing questions about a rifle he may or may not own, I couldn't help it. The reason: I was watching in German. I usually watch everything in both versions, original and German dub, because I like Friedrich Schütter's voice. A great voice, although a bit too harsh for Ben's character. But he was Lorne Greene's German voice for as long as he was alive, and in some parts he was 200% perfect. In Roots, for example...his voice was perfect for the character, especially when he was drunk. Now, the reason why I burst into laughter, despite not wanting to: Schütter fell into a Northern German drawl when he said a line about the rifle. I'm from the North, and I'm well acquainted with some people pronouncing "mit einem" as "mippem". I've done it myself. But it is commonly associated with being low-class, and it sounded soooo inappropriate for Ben. It was as if Ben wanted to "axe" that man a question.
One of my favorite episodes. Adam gets shot, near the end. He was grazed by the bullet. A bit further over and he would have been dead. Hoss got shot near the beginning, in the back. Some great brother moments in this episode. :whistling

Sahra
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 3

100 Posts Escape To Ponderosa New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Sahra » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Correct, I mixed that up. Both moments looked scary to me. When Hoss was taking away the guns (or trying to, at least) he was positioning himself as if he didn't believe that guy was able to shoot. In real life, every gunshot is potentially fatal, but on TV (and in many movies), shots into the arm or the shoulder are an ow-we that can be fixed with a clean-looking handkerchief.
These users thanked the author Sahra for the post:
Julianna

Return to “Season 2”