Episode 36 - THE MILL

Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
armadillo
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 22
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

100 Posts BINGO Gutter Ball BINGO Spare BINGO Story Search
Hidden Treasures Valentine Hidden Treasures Christmas Hidden Treasures St. Patrick's September Song
Fun with Quotes 2 Sadie Hawkins Day 2013 Fun with 12s SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2010
Valentine's Day 2011 Summer 2011 Summer 2013 Christmas 2011

View all badges

Re: Episode 36 - THE MILL

Post by armadillo » Wed May 11, 2016 2:11 pm

I think Adam was telling Pa to go ahead with whatever made him and Joyce happy. Adam knew the situation, and he knew that her marriage was a sham. He also felt that his father deserved some happiness in his relationships (or lack of).

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Fri May 13, 2016 7:41 pm

The Mill!!!! :thud

A well told story in just short of an hour. I read plenty into the relationship between Ben and Joyce and secretly suspect it had been going on for some time. Those boys put together a classic mill in a very short time showing the teamwork they can produce when necessary. The villain was exception and well played. Golly, what's not to love about this one.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Jeanny
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben Cartwright

Post by Jeanny » Tue May 17, 2016 2:09 am

"The Mill" is one of my favourite episodes of Bonanza - especially because all of the 4 of them Cartwrights are acting together throughout the whole time.

What gets me, too, was Ben (despite the fact, that Ben gets me everytime - but in another way :drool ). He seemed to be completely clear about a possible adulting, and that is something what doesn't fit with his high moral measurments he taught to his sons as well as he acts them out for himself. But the story writers were trying to tell us some 'good reasons' for his behaviour. Kind of constructed, in my opinion...

In the end, Joyce's Good buy to Ben was quite consistent, so, they gave us satisfaction.

No need to tell you that I was flashed by Ben's 'flaming heart', it's always sweet to see his passion for a woman he is falling in love with.
These users thanked the author Jeanny for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 344
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 19 Reader's Choice Level 7 Bonanza Ballads Level 18
Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Reader's Choice Level 6 Bonanza Ballads Level 17 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse!
Pattern This! Reader's Choice Level 5 WAT 9 Bonanza Ballads Level 16
Bonanza Ballads Level 15 Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Wed May 18, 2016 4:11 pm

I do wonder how Ben's established morals were allowed to "slip" in this episode. Obviously, someone in control of the show didn't care about keeping continuity from script writer to script writer.

At the end of this episode, Joyce mentions to Ben that he'd once told her, after Marie's death, that he needed to get away, to meet new people. So many fanfiction writers have run with that, writing that Ben abandoned his sons for months after Marie's death. Every fanfic writer is entitled to elaborate and dream up stories, but I don't think she was saying Ben simply took off for months in his grief. Of course, that's my take on the short section of episodic dialogue. But if it is out of character for Ben to kiss a married woman, to spend an afternoon with her, alone (or more, as some have suggested), then it is also out of character for Ben to abandon Adam, and especially young Hoss and Little Joe -- both of whom had just lost the only mother they ever knew.
These users thanked the author Tracy for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever

Jeanny
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben Cartwright

Post by Jeanny » Thu May 19, 2016 3:10 am

I thought about that some time, Tracy. Wouldn't it be possible that Ben spent time somewhere else together with his sons? The only "fact" we know is the relationship Ben/Joyce at that time. Closely enought sharing thoughts like that with the other one. Unusual for this time period, I guess.

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 344
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 19 Reader's Choice Level 7 Bonanza Ballads Level 18
Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Reader's Choice Level 6 Bonanza Ballads Level 17 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse!
Pattern This! Reader's Choice Level 5 WAT 9 Bonanza Ballads Level 16
Bonanza Ballads Level 15 Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Thu May 19, 2016 4:42 am

Jeanny wrote:I thought about that some time, Tracy. Wouldn't it be possible that Ben spent time somewhere else together with his sons? The only "fact" we know is the relationship Ben/Joyce at that time. Closely enought sharing thoughts like that with the other one. Unusual for this time period, I guess.
I agree, Jeanny. If the Ben we know had needed to get away after Marie's death, I think he would have taken Adam, Hoss, and Joe along.

I was just stating that many fanfiction writers have written that Ben left the boys behind for a long period of time to go off and handle his grief.
These users thanked the author Tracy for the post:
Jeanny

BBG
Drover
Drover
Badges: 43
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: BEN

Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts PR Brick Dedication
FanFic Writer Badge The Reading Club Cowboy Poetry 2012 St. Patrick's Day Limerick
Don't Blink Fun With Captions Hidden Treasures September Song 2012
Team Boomers Loses That's Who??? That's True! Fun with 1's

View all badges

Post by BBG » Thu May 19, 2016 12:02 pm

I think Ben's absence after Marie's death is mostly covered in FanFic. Is it really mentioned in any other episode besides "The Mill?" There was one remark missing in this episode, which follows other remarks,

"But, Pa, she's an actress!"
"But Adam, she is a saloon girl!"
"But, Hoss, she is just no good."
Missing is: "But Pa, she is married!"

Morally, I think Ben wound have been the one to say an awkward good-bye to Joyce if her husband had not been killed. That's just what the good Ben would have done.

BBG
These users thanked the author BBG for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever

LittleJoe4Ever
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 10
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Group Member 100 Posts PODs Behind The Scenes
Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 2 The Reading Club Pennings From Prompts
Puzzle Muddle Hidden Treasures

View all badges

Post by LittleJoe4Ever » Thu May 19, 2016 12:41 pm

BBG wrote: There was one remark missing in this episode, which follows other remarks,

"But, Pa, she's an actress!"
"But Adam, she is a saloon girl!"
"But, Hoss, she is just no good."
Missing is: "But Pa, she is married!"

Morally, I think Ben wound have been the one to say an awkward good-bye to Joyce if her husband had not been killed. That's just what the good Ben would have done.

BBG
I completely agree! :yes In fact, there is an episode, the title escapes me at the moment, where Pa tells someone else he shouldn't be with a woman because she is another man's wife.
Ben would have never kissed a married woman, never! :mad
These users thanked the author LittleJoe4Ever for the post:
BBG

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 72

Fun With Captions Level 2 Gardening 2020 Crafting 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Pattern This! WAT 9
12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019 December Delectables

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:39 am

:adam Amen! So much sexier to see the sleeves rolled up and just a little chest hair, then the whole thing, although the whole shirt off isn't bad for Pernell.

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 72

Fun With Captions Level 2 Gardening 2020 Crafting 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Pattern This! WAT 9
12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019 December Delectables

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:51 am

Tracy wrote:
I do wonder how Ben's established morals were allowed to "slip" in this episode. Obviously, someone in control of the show didn't care about keeping continuity from script writer to script write
r.

I wonder this in several episodes! :ranch
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
PJudith

Return to “Season 2”