Episode 36 - THE MILL

Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 160
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

20,000 Posts Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Strike Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020
Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host Pattern This!
WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 36 - THE MILL

Post by daisy60 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:21 am

I agree. I was too young to understand any of this as an 8yr. old but Joyce's marriage wasn't a good one. Now watching as an adult [ :whistling ] I know what was going on. Adultery is wrong but I can understand Ben and Joyce's feeling for each other. Ben was lonely and Joyce would have been good for him. :yes

Sahra
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 3
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

100 Posts Escape To Ponderosa New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Sahra » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:45 pm

I tried to find something out about the author of this episode, a certain Halsted Welles. He wrote only one Bonanza episode: This one. -- Some TV writers have some kind of "signature" to watch out for. In the 1990s, when something on German TV featured horses, you could be certain it would be credited to Tina Caspari in the end. Caspari -- real name Rosemarie Eitzert -- also ghostwrote about 30 Mallory Towers and The Twins at St. Claire's books which were all littered with horses. So, I decided to find out some more about what else Halsted Welles wrote, and, in addition to a lot of TV work, he also adapted The Scarlet Letter for stage. Maybe he did like to write about contra sextam.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 324
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Spring Awakens 2020
Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Persistant Prospector Bonanza Ballads Level 11
Library Story 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host 12th Anniversary BB
Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Escape To Ponderosa Step up to 2020 Dan Blocker Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Sahra wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:45 pm
I decided to find out some more about what else Halsted Welles wrote, and, in addition to a lot of TV work, he also adapted The Scarlet Letter for stage. Maybe he did like to write about contra sextam.
Call me dumb and all my years of education wasted, but I have no idea what you're talking about. I've taught The Scarlet Letter many times and most people are familiar with the plot as well, but unless you're stating that Hester's real husband, Chillingworth, is like Joyce's husband and that Hester is like Joyce, Ben like Dimmesdale... :shrug

Perhaps Welles just liked working and took the job of the stage adaption of The Scarlet Letter for a good chunk of change. I see no pattern.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Sahra
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

View all badges

Post by Sahra » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 pm

No, I'm not accusing you of being dumb and you are too smart to think I'd ever do that. I wasn't trying to draw parallels between The Mill and the Scarlet Letter, definitely not. I won't bore you and the rest with anecdotes about me and other low-brow writers for TV, novelettes and radio plays for children, but everyone seems to have 2-3 signature topics. Except for Rosemarie Eitzert and Brigitte Blobel -- those two only wrote about horses. (Note: This was the green-eyed monster in me speaking.)

On the whole, I liked the episode, and even though it wasn't Adam-centered, as I had hoped, it had some great scenes with Adam, including the "Thank you, Adam" scene.

Janet the Wicked
Drover
Drover
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 1,000 Posts Rethink, Recycle, Reuse!
Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9 10th Anniversary Letter W
Step up to 2020 Don't Blink PODs Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Amazon Buyer 100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Adamant wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:04 am

And there are a few FF stories where the C's have an affair with a married woman -- I've written a few myself, but as with all of the stories, someone is in a loveless marriage; it's never just for a fling because the people involved are bored. Adultery is not a casual subject as there are too many people who can be injured.
Just finished reading What Might Have Been and it helped shed a new light on The Mill for me. I enjoyed your story very much.
Is that all you can think about at a time like this, cake???

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 324
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Spring Awakens 2020
Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Persistant Prospector Bonanza Ballads Level 11
Library Story 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host 12th Anniversary BB
Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Escape To Ponderosa Step up to 2020 Dan Blocker Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:57 am

Janet the Wicked wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm

Just finished reading What Might Have Been and it helped shed a new light on The Mill for me. I enjoyed your story very much.
Thank you, @Janet the Wicked. I'd forgotten all about that story. Glad you liked my version of a prequel, basically from a young Adam's POV.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Janet the Wicked
Drover
Drover
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 1,000 Posts Rethink, Recycle, Reuse!
Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9 10th Anniversary Letter W
Step up to 2020 Don't Blink PODs Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Amazon Buyer 100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:39 am

Harry Townes was a wonderful character actor and played the jealous husband here to perfection. Claude Akins was definitely creepy. So that part of the Mill worked for me. It seemed clear that there was something going on between Ben and Joyce, but I somehow can't believe that pious Ben would resort to messing around with a married woman, and the married woman of a supposed good friend at that. After reading your story, I'm on the fence about it. But it was definitely interesting from Adam's POV. Everything in your story just fit like a glove.
These users thanked the author Janet the Wicked for the post:
Adamant
Is that all you can think about at a time like this, cake???

Sahra
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

View all badges

Post by Sahra » Sun May 17, 2020 8:41 pm

I rewatched this episode tonight. When Joyce is being gambled away, it reminded me that the core of the adultery taboo is a property issue. And, as a consequence of patriarchal structures, a wife is property. There is a reason why adultery isn't a punishable offense in any democratic country while some cultures that are still in the Bronze Age in certain matters handle it as a capital crime. Human rights, a concept that was introduced during Enlightenment, and one tenant of human rights is that no person can be another person's property, not even a spouse.

Rewatching the episode I realized how the viewer is led to be suspicious about the nature of the "long friendship" between Joyce and Ben from the moment of her arrival. Even I remember times when women did not refer to a man they had no family connection to whatsoever as a "friend". If the man was significantly older, those women sometimes said "When I was little, he was like an uncle to me" or "He was my father's best friend". Another ruse to avoid suspicion (and, indirectly, arouse it) was to refer to a male friend as "my favorite cousin". -- Ben holding on to Joyce's arms while talking to her would have been considered inappropriate by many of his contemporaries, too. And then he tells her how he missed her. Quite suspicious. Even if nothing happened so far, not even a peck on the cheek, this is an emotional affair. Take it from me, I know what I'm talking about. Veteran adulteress, corespondent in two divorces. Not concurrently, though.

Instead of a classic love triangle, we have a love quadrangle, one of the quadrangle's legs being more love than lust, though. Ezekiel's lust for Joyce emphasizes the property aspect of the "Thou shalt not covet" issue. Love is, among other things, about wanting what is best for somebody else, while lust is mostly about wanting to possess somebody.

Joyce leaving because she needs some time off is a bit of a cop-out ending, but it seems to be an unbreakable law that none of the Ponderosa man is allowed to be happy with a woman in the long term. And the spinning wheel of the mill reminds us of what the wisdom of the Ancient Greeks: Panta Rhei. -- Everything flows.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 160
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

20,000 Posts Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Strike Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020
Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host Pattern This!
WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:13 am

I understand this completely. The show was supposed to be based in mid-1800's but episodes were written as if they were a part of the 1960's era. Another taboo subject I hear in most western TV shows and movies is when a women is expecting. In the 1800's nobody ever mentioned a pregnancy in any way! It just wasn't talked about, except between a Dr./midwife and a patient. The writers didn't do much homework in certain subjects. :no

Sahra
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

View all badges

Post by Sahra » Mon May 18, 2020 4:39 pm

My maternal grandmother still remembers a time when "pregnant" was a taboo word and her relatives said that she was "of blessed hope". Blessed hope of what, not dying in childbirth? In understand that people have different morals when it comes to sexual issues, but this is insane.

Another insane thing that still existed in the 19th century were sodomy laws. Being paraplegic, Joyce's husband can no longer have vanilla sex with her, but there are other things you can do -- but not only did many people consider them an abomination, there were actually laws against "oral sodomy" and "procuring excitement by manual or other unnatural stimulation".

A third party fooling around with your partner sucks, but so do insane laws that forbid you from pleasuring your spouse the only way you still can.

Return to “Season 2”