Episode 7 - THE SAGA OF ANNIE O'TOOLE

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 7 - THE SAGA OF ANNIE O'TOOLE

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Date: October 24, 1959

Summary: Annie O’Toole comes to Washoe to take over a mining claim that her fiancé, Swede, had filed for her. On the trip to Nevada, her father dies and is buried by Hoss. Annie thanks Hoss by cooking him a meal, and the miners are attracted by the smell of the food. Adam convinces Annie to open a restaurant to feed the men, which she does and calls it "The Square Meal". Swede arrives and tells Annie he sold one of his two claims to Gregory Spain but cannot remember which one. Spain is sure she is on his property, so Ben uses a miner’s court to decide who the rightful owner is.

Written by: Thomas Thompson
Directed by: Joseph Kane
Guest Stars: : Ida Lupino (Annie O’Toole), Alan Hale Jr. (Swede Lundberg), John Patrick (Kevin “Himself” O’Toole), Harry Lascoe (Gregory Spain), Richard Reeves (Clayton), Ollie O’Toole (Simpson), Victor Sen Yung (Hop Sing).

gif slide courtesy of Bejules

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Re: Episode 7 - THE SAGA OF ANNIE O'TOOLE

Post by PJudith » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:19 pm

The hardheaded, hardworking and shrewd Annie O'Toole was a great business partner for Adam. She seemed to have a bit of an interest in Adam but she was really in love with the Swede.

This episode provided me with a line that's been very useful at times. Annie is furious with Trapdoor Gregory but says, "Ah, he aint worth dentin me pan on!"

flog3greg

Post by flog3greg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:28 pm

I LOVE this episode. It’s close to my favorite. In fact it is. The quick delivery between Annie and Adam is brilliant. I’ve read several places that PR preferred drama and weightier parts but he was BRILLIANT at comedy. His timing as both straight man to Ida Lupino and her to him is a gift that cannot be taught. It was really superb writing that reminded me of Cary Grant and Tosalind Russell in His Girl Friday. I wish there was more film of PR - tv or otherwise.

Btw does anyone have any suggestions for similar comedic episodes?
These users thanked the author flog3greg for the post (total 2):
PJudithPlatoofthePonderosa

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 312

Forum Moderator Librarian Christmas Card Team Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:14 pm

You might enjoy A Knight to Remember, flog3greg. Adam becomes “King Arthur’s” sidekick.

Some other comedic episodes that include Adam are The Wooing of Abigail Jones, The Hayburner, Ponderosa Matador, and Bank Run.
These users thanked the author patina for the post (total 2):
JanuaryPJudith
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:49 am

All funny episodes! Don't forget "Woman of Fire." "Senor Adam, the bed fixer."

His sparring with Margarita is perfectly timed comedy, so funny. :laughing
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
January

Ponderosa Penny
Drover
Drover
Badges: 87
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All of them

Christmas Card Team Escape To Ponderosa 100 Posts 1,000 Posts
Cartwright Generosity FanFic Writer Badge Episode Summary Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1
The Reading Club Cock & Bull St. Patrick's Day Limerick Don't Blink
Boomers BINGO Game Night 5 Hidden Treasures The Secret Word

View all badges

Post by Ponderosa Penny » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:24 pm

Hiss and the Leprachauns and the Pacake Eating contest are funny episodes also. And A good Night's rest and the episode when Hoss and Joe were raising rabbits are among my favorites.
These users thanked the author Ponderosa Penny for the post:
sapphyr2018

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 370

Administrator Admin Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by January » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Image First, as said above … who knew the comedic skills of Pernell Roberts! This entire episode was hilarious! PR missed his calling. OK, moving on …

Does anybody know how the opening scene of the fight started? Why were the Cartwrights there? They certainly weren’t there to seek out silver or gold, they were all done with those things and running the Ponderosa. So if they were there, what were their roles? If their roles were that of being in charge, how did things get so out of control?

And when Annie came to the site with himself dead in back of her wagon, why would Hoss be the one to dig the grave? It seems that they would have had workers doing all that grunt work.

How close was the Ponderosa to the site where the mines were? It seemed that Joe went home to get food and bring it back and then we see the Cartwrights go home for dinner and then go back probably the next day? All in all, it didn’t seem like such a journey? Does that make sense? Where the heck were they? :lookaround

So what’s your thoughts on how the episode unfolded?
These users thanked the author January for the post (total 2):
CowgirlAtHeartPJudith
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 139
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Fun With Captions Level 3
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:42 pm

:think
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 185
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator December Delectables Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 7 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:27 pm

I'd like to think the Cartwrights were out at the mining camp because someone came to them for help when his claim got jumped! I agree that they wouldn't be looking for silver or gold out there...as much as Hoss and Joe like money-making schemes, I don't think they'd run off and join a bunch of miners!

This episode has one of my favorite lines in the opening...Ben talks about being a "stabilizing influence" as he punches a guy and knocks him right down. Joe says, "You really stabilized that one!" :laughing

Adam is perfection itself all throughout the episode. His back and forth with Annie is hilarious...there was great chemistry between them. I love how they take turns coming out on top throughout the story! I also like Adam's interactions with his family. They sympathize with his plight, but they also think it's hilarious...which of course Adam finds maddening!

It does seem odd that Hoss digs the grave all by himself! It works out well for the plot because the fact that Hoss dug the grave is a pivotal moment in the trial.

I always assumed the mining camp in this episode was the same one as in "Mr. Henry Comstock." Did anybody else think that?
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Ponderosa Prospects
1,000 Posts 100 Posts Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:19 am

Can't say I can figure out all the answers, but I imagine it was a reflection if the greed during the silver mining era. As for Hoss, I suppose for Adam to make his case, he needed someone he was familiar with, or trustworthy.

Honestly, I was more distracted by himself ( :adam ), the fine, patient man he was. It's not often he has to deal with a difficult customer (a woman who pushes him over the edge). I can't decide which one was more difficult between Margarita (Woman of Fire) and Annie O'Toole.

Return to “Season 1”