The Big Valley

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

BuckAndCochise
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 26
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben & Candy

Oscar Chat2017 Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts
5,000 Posts Fun Topic Starter PODs History of the Old West POD
FanFic Writer Badge In The Headlines September Song 2013 Sadie Hawkins Day 2013
Hoss' Excellent Adventure Postcards From The Past Holiday Postcards 2013 The Heat Is On

View all badges

Re: The Big Valley

Post by BuckAndCochise » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:32 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
BuckAndCochise wrote:
littlejoenice wrote:I watched an episode a day or two ago, that concerned a gold shipment on a Barkley riverboat that went down during the Civil War. Well, in one scene, Nick gets shot in the head. Next day, he's at home and walking around. Toward the end of the episode, he gets shot again, in the right shoulder.That took place in a mine. The final end scene, he's standing in front of the fireplace, having a drink, talking with Jarrod, and the bandages on the left side. Coincidence? :laughing
I got bored one day and started keeping a tally of injuries and so far, Jarrod had been shot in the head and the back, Nick in the arms more times than I can count, Heath's was his arms and legs.

They got that Cartwright Invincibility.
That's terrific, BuckandCochise! But when are you going to start with the bonks on the head? :rotfl
Oh Lord I lost count at that one. Right up there with all the fights.
These users thanked the author BuckAndCochise for the post:
littlejoenice
"I'm gonna have a little sit down and feel sorry for myself." - Arthur Morgan

"You gotta love yourself a fire." - Dutch van der Linde

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 153
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:44 pm

I watched an episode last night called "The Lost Treasure." The guest stars were Buddy Hackett, who played a con man that came back to tell Heath that he, not Tom Barkley, was his real father, and Bruce Dern was after Buddy Hackett because he owed him $3000 that wasn't come by honestly, of course, and that Hackett had gambled away in a faro game.

Can you imagine? Buddy Hackett the father of Lee Majors?! :thud
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
BuckAndCochise
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:43 pm

littlejoenice wrote:I watched an episode last night called "The Lost Treasure." The guest stars were Buddy Hackett, who played a con man that came back to tell Heath that he, not Tom Barkley, was his real father, and Bruce Dern was after Buddy Hackett because he owed him $3000 that wasn't come by honestly, of course, and that Hackett had gambled away in a faro game.

Can you imagine? Buddy Hackett the father of Lee Majors?! :thud
Not really! :grin If that was the case, I'd say that Heath REALLY took after his mother. LOL
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
littlejoenice

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 153
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 pm

I was watching an episode last night, I think it was called A Day of Terror, and do you remember the one who played Marilla Cuthbert in the Anne of Green Gables movie with Megan Follows? Colleen Dewhurst? She played, of all things, an outlaw, who was holding Victoria and Audra hostage in a church because her youngest son had been shot. At the end, Victoria shot her. (If you want to find out how Victoria got a gun, you'll have to watch the episode. :grin )

But all the while, I kept thinking, "this is Colleen Dewhurst! How can you shoot her?! You can't do that!" Because I had in mind who her husband was at the time. George C. Scott. Whoo!
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

BuckAndCochise
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 26
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben & Candy

Oscar Chat2017 Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts
5,000 Posts Fun Topic Starter PODs History of the Old West POD
FanFic Writer Badge In The Headlines September Song 2013 Sadie Hawkins Day 2013
Hoss' Excellent Adventure Postcards From The Past Holiday Postcards 2013 The Heat Is On

View all badges

Post by BuckAndCochise » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 pm

littlejoenice wrote:I was watching an episode last night, I think it was called A Day of Terror, and do you remember the one who played Marilla Cuthbert in the Anne of Green Gables movie with Megan Follows? Colleen Dewhurst? She played, of all things, an outlaw, who was holding Victoria and Audra hostage in a church because her youngest son had been shot. At the end, Victoria shot her. (If you want to find out how Victoria got a gun, you'll have to watch the episode. :grin )

But all the while, I kept thinking, "this is Colleen Dewhurst! How can you shoot her?! You can't do that!" Because I had in mind who her husband was at the time. George C. Scott. Whoo!
I loled so hard in that episode where Jarrod pulls a Superman jump and just soars through the air and I still don't get why the lady didn't just kill him instead of asking for Audra.
"I'm gonna have a little sit down and feel sorry for myself." - Arthur Morgan

"You gotta love yourself a fire." - Dutch van der Linde

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 332
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Tue May 09, 2017 6:22 am

I caught an episode of The Big Valley yesterday. It really is quite different from Bonanza in so many ways. I think it has to do with the location of the Barkley homestead.

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:07 pm

I'm not about to complain, but as many times as those boys (Adam, Joe, Hoss, Nick, Heath and Jarrod, not necessarily in that order)
wind up with a bandage or a bloodied head, it's amazing how few scars they show the next week.
BuckAndCochise wrote:
littlejoenice wrote:
BuckAndCochise wrote:
That's terrific, BuckandCochise! But when are you going to start with the bonks on the head? :rotfl
Oh Lord I lost count at that one. Right up there with all the fights.
These users thanked the author RedShirt for the post:
littlejoenice
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

PJudith
Drover
Drover

Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:28 pm

I just watched a few episodes and it seems like Heath got shot or beaten up in every one. But for a guy who sustained so many injuries he came back the next week to look like a GQ cover model. :grin Not a mark on his pretty face or totally ripped body. :no

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:54 am

I tell y'all, TV westerns are magic.

Bullets crease up in your hair, draw blood and knock you cold, but you don't even get a concussion, never mind a skull fracture; and you get hit over the head with a frying pan, or a big old Colt revolver, and after the next commercial break you're finer'n frog hair. There's no such thing as chronic illness -- if it's going to be fatal, it'll get you before the last commercial break; or else you'll get a miracle cure around that same time.

You can take an arrow through your strong shoulder this week and break broncs next week, like you'd never even thought about being sore; the worst thing that can happen to you is being set afoot with no canteen, three days' ride from water, 'cause if you make it to the next place to drink you'll hallucinate or worse along the way.

You can take a fever bad enough to nearly kill you from infection, but next week nobody even remembers that happened; no arrow ever splinters and the heads always come out with the shafts attached, there's never any rawhide torn off or bullet-patch material missed when a doc cleans out the wound. That through-and-through bullet through one thigh that had folks carrying you home last week didn't leave a sign you'd ever had it this week, never mind a scar or stiffness. Heck, your clothes even heal up, without any patches or visible stitching!

Cop shows and other adventure series are just as magical as westerns. No bullet ever tears a goose-egg-sized exit wound, no bomb ever leaves you blind for life, or deaf for more than a week. If you jump off a building you don't break your leg. If you go through plate glass, it won't cut your hands or face.

Nobody ever limps a little next week. Nobody ever has any scars (well, that's changed a bit now, at least in some shows; NCIS is good about giving people a little residual not-100%-ready the next week, and it's not just emotional/psychic scars you find out about; one of the female protagonists on NCIS LA spent several months in rehab after being shot to doll rags overseas). I remember the controversy when LT. ROBERTS on JAG wound up with an artificial foot, and stayed in the Navy (and he showed up on NCIS a few weeks ago, now a very distinguished senior officer with silver hair, not quite as pudgy as in his youth -- you have to work out more regularly to pass the fitness test with a prosthetic, evidently).

I reckon that's what they mean by romanticizing violence.
These users thanked the author RedShirt for the post (total 2):
QuietgirlPJudith
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

PJudith
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:20 am

Nobody on those westerns sustained any serious damage as long as they were the series regulars. But if you were a guest star and got shot, well adios! Adam Cartwright was injured a number of times. But when Pernell Roberts guest starred in an episode of The Big Valley, I think it was "Cage of Eagles", he didn't last to the closing credits.

The Cartwrights and Barkleys gave as good as they got a number of times. I just started watching my DVDs of The Big Valley again. i started with the first episode. I'm on the fourth episode and so far, Heath has punched someone in the face in every one. Of course the guy had it coming to him. But funny how Heath never has bruised knuckles or a swollen hand!
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
littlejoenice

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”