The Big Valley

If you like the westerns we’re currently discussing, you may have liked other western TV shows. So why don’t we discuss them here! Post about western conventions (non Bonanza), the shows, the actors and anything you want to discuss.

Moderator: Tracy

joelover
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 17
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Group Member 100 Posts Video BOOMers BOOMbox
Don't Blink Oktoberfest 2013 Oktoberfest 2014 Without A Trace
Don't Blink Christmas 2013 September Song 2013 Talk Like A Pirate Day 9/19/13 Healthy, Wealthy & Wise
Healthy, Wealthy & Wise Thanksgiving 2013 Christmas 2013 Autumn 2014

View all badges

Re: The Big Valley

Post by joelover » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:17 am

I was a Heath gal too

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:36 am

A couple weeks ago I decided to search for information about the movie "The Big Valley". In the information I'd seen, Jessica Lange was going to play Victoria Barkley (after Susan Sarandon bowed out), Stephen Moyer from "True Blood" was going to play Jarrod, and Lee Majors was going to do a cameo as the father (who was dead when the series started). There were press releases, interviews with the Linda Evans, an IMDB.com entry, and even a Facebook page.

Then, the project disappeared... last entry on the Facebook page was February 2011, saying the production was on hiatus but would resume shooting in mid-May.

Well, it turns out that the producer was sent to jail for fraud in relation to another movie. And he's being sued by investors in the Big Valley movie, who claim he spent all the money but never intended to make the film.

Here's the article:
https://www.courthousenews.com/investor ... n-a-movie/

I'm not sure it would have been a great movie - the TV show was interesting enough, but there wasn't anything really "special" about it unless you consider the plot of the first couple episodes which explain who Heath was. But after about 5-6 episodes, Heath just became "one of the sons" and even called Victoria "Mother".

Edited to update link
Last edited by ellen on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 332
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:00 am

ellen wrote: I'm not sure it would have been a great movie - the TV show was interesting enough, but there wasn't anything really "special" about it unless you consider the plot of the first couple episodes which explain who Heath was. But after about 5-6 episodes, Heath just became "one of the sons" and even called Victoria "Mother".
I think it would have been an okay movie - using Lee majors to play Thomas Barkley would have set the stage nicely. Too bad it didn't happen.

Lee Majors has popped up on a few TV episodes lately - Dallas, CSI:NY, Grey's Anatomy. He's filming a few movies now, as well. Still handsome and those blue eyes . . . :thud

inuyasha122785
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: little joe

Post by inuyasha122785 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:50 am

i loved seeing adam cartwright's guestings at the barkley ranch.. to bad he was killed but he had saved nick in the mines..as far i can remember in one big valley episode...whereas seeing nick barkley guesting as a hired hand who becomes a love triangle of adam cartwright in bonanza..

BettyHT
Wrangler
Wrangler

Post by BettyHT » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Image Peter Breck with his stunt double Chuck Bail. Image and here's Lee Majors as Heath

Calamity Liz
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 68
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Candy

Escape To Ponderosa NaNoWriMo 2012 Group Member 100 Posts
1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts Boomers Million Photographer
Professional Photographer PODs History of the Old West POD Guest Star POD
Non Fiction Bio Guest Star Bio FanFic Writer Badge Ponderosa Murder Mystery 3

View all badges

Post by Calamity Liz » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:51 pm

I enjoyed Big Valley and the idea of a female matriarch. Barbara Stanwyck was an amazing actor.

As far as the guys, sorry Heath didn't do a thing for me but I never could quite make up my mind between Nick (Peter Breck) and Jarrod (Richard Long)...

But then every time I saw Jarrod's incredible blue eyes...I was a goner for sure

zarapam
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 3

Group Member 100 Posts Boomers Million

View all badges

Post by zarapam » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:08 am

Great cast in the show, particularly Barbara Stanwyck.

BettyHT
Wrangler
Wrangler

Post by BettyHT » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Image Image

Calamity Liz
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 68
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Candy

Escape To Ponderosa NaNoWriMo 2012 Group Member 100 Posts
1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts Boomers Million Photographer
Professional Photographer PODs History of the Old West POD Guest Star POD
Non Fiction Bio Guest Star Bio FanFic Writer Badge Ponderosa Murder Mystery 3

View all badges

Post by Calamity Liz » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:05 pm

I've seen these, he's so young. That's Rock Hudson with him

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:51 pm

I knew of "The Big Valley" long before I ever watched a single "Bonanza" rerun. Had a major crush on Lee Majors. Even today, in his 70s, he's still hot stuff. :grin

I loved the Matriarchy of Big Valley. It was unusual for a western series and Barbara Stanwyck was perfect. Linda Evans as her daughter was a living Barbie Doll.

The Big Valley, I think, was a bit more daring and liberal, than Bonanza; willing to push the audiences' buttons a bit more. The fact that Lee Majors got away with saying the word "bastard" (even if it was used in its correct context) on 1960s television must have been a real humdinger at the time.

Just a great show. :thumbup Watched PR's guest appearance on "Run of the Cat", loved his beard. Peter Breck's performance in this episode was impressive, too.

Return to “There Were Other Westerns?”