Scatman Crothers Bio

Come take a peek at our guest star forum. Here you will find bios on many of our Bonanza guest stars. We offer guest star pictures of the day and regular guest star discussions.

Moderator: CowgirlAtHeart

Sierras
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 277
Stories: 14
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Reader's Choice Level 46 Bonanza Ballads Level 18 Lorne Greene Birthday 2024 Valentine's Day Card
Guess the Guest Star 5 - 2024 Reader's Choice Level 45 20,000 Posts Happy 16th Anniversary
Library Reviewer Level 2 Happy New Year 2024 Reader's Choice Level 44 Bonanza Ballads Level 17
Holiday Participation 2023 Deck The Halls Winter Memories 23/24 Christmas Bauble 2023

View all badges

Scatman Crothers Bio

Post by Sierras »

Scatman Crothers
Scatman Crothers.jpg
Scatman Crothers.jpg (9.31 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Scatman Crothers appeared in season three's opening episode "The Smiler". He played a ranch hand named Jud and he sang in one of the scenes.
Both Caps by adamant
Boomers may remember him as Louie Wilson on the TV sitcom "Chico and the Man" (1974~1978).
Chico-and-the-Man.jpg
Chico-and-the-Man.jpg (55.29 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
"Chico and the Man" ~ Jack Albertson, Freddie Prinze and Scatman Crothers
Scatman Crothers was born Benjamin Sherman Crothers on May 23, 1910 in Terre Haute, Indiana. His musical career started as a 15-year-old drummer in a nightclub band. He played various instruments in different bands during the 1930s and 1940s. He played drums, guitar, piano, etc. He also sang. He became known as Scat Man Crothers when a radio director thought his given name was not catchy enough. It was Arthur Godfrey who later condensed Scat Man to Scatman.

Scatman Crothers guitar.jpg
Scatman Crothers guitar.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Scatman Crothers at UCLA in 1960
In about the late 1940s Scatman moved with his band to Oakland, California. He played piano in two nightclubs there. It was about the early 1950s when he moved to Los Angeles.

Scatman recorded many records during the 1940s and 1950s. Scatman and Phil Harris recorded together the song "Chattanooga Shoe Shine Boy". Scatman became a regular guest on Phil Harris' show. They were good friends who collaborated on many projects over the coming years.

Scatman Crothers recording song 1976.jpg
Scatman Crothers recording song 1976.jpg (388.24 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Scatman Crothers recording a song in 1976
Scatman made his official film debut as Enoch Jones in the movie "Meet Me At The Fair" (1953).
Scatman Crothers ~ Meet Me At The Fair.jpg
Scatman Crothers ~ Meet Me At The Fair.jpg (258 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
"Meet Me At The Fair" ~ Dan Dailey, Chet Allen and Scatman Crothers
He went on to work in both movies and television ~ usually taking small parts.
Scatman Crothers and Redd Foxx ~ Sandford and Son.JPG
Scatman Crothers and Redd Foxx ~ Sandford and Son.JPG (207.16 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
"Sanford and Son" (1972-1977) Scatman Crothers and Redd Foxx
(continued)
Last edited by Sierras on Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Like father like sons." Echoed by Little Joe in "Springtime"
"Now I know that we are only half brothers, but we are brothers." Adam in "The Hayburner"
:dg In fond memory of dougsgirl

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Bonanza Guest Stars”