Kathie Browne Biography

Come take a peek at our guest star forum. Here you will find bios on many of our Bonanza guest stars. We offer guest star pictures of the day and regular guest star discussions.

Moderator: CowgirlAtHeart

Joe'sGal
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 218
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Forum Moderator BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Oscar Chat 2019 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 FFW 2018 More Words FFW 2018 Once Upon A Story Academy Awards Chat 2018
Gutterball BINGO Quotes Search BINGO Quotes 100 in 24 ~ 2017 Saint Patrick's Day 2017
Oscar Chat2017 Valentine's Day 2017 BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. BINGO Search Emoticon Edition

View all badges

Kathie Browne Biography

Post by Joe'sGal » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 am

Kathie Browne (1930–2003) Actress, Producer, Writer (aka: Cathy Browne, Katherine Browne, Kathy Browne, Kathie Browne McGavin) Image (Kathie, as "The Airport Girl" in the TV series "Get Smart")
Kathie Browne was born Jacqueline Katherine Browne on September 19, 1930, in San Obispo, California. (See note** below.) Browne attended L.A. City College while appearing in plays at numerous local theaters. She was "discovered" by a television director, playing in an LA theater production of Tennessee Williams' "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Browne, a 5' 6" (1.68 m) blonde, appeared in popular television Westerns, including "Bonanza" and "Gunsmoke". She made her film debut in 1958's "Murder by Contract". She was a prolific actress, having among her many credits, various films and ninety-four television guest star appearances, in a variety of roles. She was known to complain however, that she felt she was being typecast as the “young, ingenue” type. She eventually overcame that hurdle and won more serious roles, including that of a scientist on "Sea Hunt" and a deft grifter in an episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".

Image Kathie as Deela in "Star Trek's" "The Wink of an Eye" (1968)
Browne went on to guest star in such favorites as "Perry Mason", "Ironside", "The Big Valley", "The Farmer’s Daughter", "Get Smart", "The Smothers Brothers", "Surfside Six", "The Wild, Wild West", "Ben Casey" "Fantasy Island", "My Favorite Martian" and "Star Trek", and many more. (A full list of her television credits can be found on tv.com.)

Image Mr. and Mrs. Darren McGavin
Browne married actor Darren McGavin on December 31, 1969. In the years following their marriage, her acting career to a backseat to that of her husband. She played an instrumental part in the success of "The Night Stalker". Browne and McGavin founded their own production company, "Taurean Films". They made many joint appearances (as themselves) onscreen-nearly 50, between film and television. They participated as panelists on an episode of “It’s Your Bet”, a revised version of the NBC daytime game show "I'll Bet". Kathy also made guest appearances on "The Merv Griffin Show" and "The Mike Douglas Show".

Browne, who was also a producer and writer, retired in 1980. Her last role was that of "Mary Ann Walker" on "The Love Boat". Kathie was diagnosed with breast-cancer survivor, late in life. She battled it, successfully.

Kathy Browne-McGavin died on April 8, 2003, in Beverly Hills, after a brief illness. Her husband followed her, in 2006.

Image Kathie and Darren relaxing, on vacation.
Kathie costarred in six episodes of Bonanza. In the Season One ep, "The Tall Stranger", Kathie plays the part of "Margie Owens". It is the tragic story of a girl who falls in love with the wrong man, and dies after giving birth to his baby girl. Hoss, who had had plans to marry her, is heartbroken and is there, at her deathbed.

Image Thanks, Gillie! Kathie, as "Margie Owens", dancing with Sean McClory's "Marc Connors" in "The Tall Stranger"
Image Thanks, Chey! Dan getting a kiss from Kathie Browne
Margie Owens in '"The Tall Stranger"

In Season Two's "The Tax Collector", she plays the part of "Ellen Henry," the neglected wife of tax collector, "Jock Henry". Image Thanks, Gillie! Hoss and Ellen "The Tax Collector" In the Season Five episodes, "The Waiting Game", "The Pressure Game", "The Triangle" and "The Cheating Game", Kathie stars as "Laura Dayton", a young widow brought in as a prospective bride for Adam. When Pernell Roberts suddenly decided to renew his contract, the writers brought in the character of Will Cartwright to take Laura from Adam and move away with her.
Image (from my collection) Kathie, as "Laura Dayton", with Pernell Roberts.
Image Thanks, Chey! Kathie and Pernell (promo picture)
Image Thanks, Chey! Adam with "Laura Dayton" (Kathie Browne) in "The Waiting Game"

Image The Pressure Game" Thanks, Gillie!

The following is the final page of script, taken from the original, unfilmed ending to "The Pressure Game."

BEN (to Laura, softly, sincerely) 
I'm glad it's you.

Laura's expression reveals that she is really touched by the compliment. She turns and climbs up into the buggy and Adam goes around and gets in the other side.

ANOTHER ANGLE

ADAM Sorry we can't stay for the reception, but we've got a long way to go.

Laura looks at Adam and he realizes that his words have significance beyond their original intent

ADAM
 (continuing; to Laura)
 A long, long way to go.

Adam flicks the horse into motion and the buggy starts out.  Hop Sing and the others who have been holding their hands behind them, during all this, now start showering the bride and groom with handfuls of rice.

WIDE ANGLE 
The buggy moves off with Laura and Adam waving and the wedding party ad libbing goodbyes.  And then they are gone.

CLOSE SHOT - BEN AND AUNT LIL

BENAunt Lil, will you do me the honor of cutting the wedding cake?

Lil daubs at her eyes with her handkerchief.

LIL 
If you don't mind soggy wedding cake, I'd be proud to.

The others laugh and all start drifting back into the house for the reception.

FADE OUT.

THE END

This video contains an excellent sampling of Kathie's acting accomplishments:
[/center]

This tribute to Kathy can be found on Darrin McGavin's website: AFTERGLOW
I'D LIKE THE MEMORY OF ME
TO BE A HAPPY ONE.
I'D LIKE TO LEAVE AN AFTERGLOW
OF SMILES
WHEN LIFE IS DONE.
I'D LIKE TO LEAVE AN ECHO WHISPERING
SOFTLY DOWN THE WAYS
OF HAPPY TIMES AND LAUGHING TIMES
AND BRIGHT SUNNY DAYS.
I'D LIKE THE TEARS OF THISE WHO GRIEVE
TO DRY BEFORE THE SUN
OF HAPPY MEMORIES THAT I LEAVE
WHEN LIFE IS DONE.

Sources: answers.comBohemian Word WerksDesktop Nexusimdb.comLucywho.comtv.com

Trivia: Browne earned a sum total of $100 for her role in the 1960 movie "Studs Lonigan". Kathie's husband, Darren McGavin, directed her in the 1973 movie "Happy Mother's Day, Love George".

These users thanked the author Joe'sGal for the post (total 2):
AgnethaFGillie

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Bonanza Guest Stars”