ADAM WHEN I WAS IN 7TH GRADE

Say hello and tell us how you got here.
Forum rules
Welcome to Bonanza Boomers. We’re happy to have you join us. Please take a moment to read our forum guidelines by clicking here.
BIG JOHN
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

ADAM WHEN I WAS IN 7TH GRADE

Post by BIG JOHN »

First of all, I want to thank all of you for your warm welcomes--I know I will enjoy it here!
Here's a little nostalgic memory of mine which most of you might remember, although I don't hear it discussed much anymore--
Adam was always my favorite of the 4, and in the spring of 1964, my friends and me, 7th graders all, were Shocked and devastated to learn the news that Pernell Roberts was leaving the show the following year. What seems to have been forgotten is the "nature" of the press release in the Sunday newspapers--Adam cartwright would be MURDERED! The announcement didn't specify in which season six episode it would happen, leaving all of us fans hanging on every episode from week to week. Remember, this was still the flowering innocense of tv, and a major character getting killed off in a series was unheard of and unprecedented!
--So the previews for "next week's episode" gained vital importance in season six--which episode would it be? The previews didn't last 20 or 30 seconds, like they do now--they were about two MINUTES long, and NARRATED by a cast member. I knew we would all be heartbroken and depressed when it happened, and thus came the preview for "RIGHT IS THE FOURTH R"--with 4 guns behind rocks pointed at Adam's head, I was sure "this was the one!"--My friends agreed, and we planned to skip school and drown our sorrows in lemonade the following monday--So there it was--the moment came--and then?? and then??? Nothing!
And the press never did have anything further to say on the matter--Adam simply drifted out of focus and out of sight as season six drew to a close--And THAT, friends and neighbors, is my recollection of the most "traumatic" Bonanza moment in my life!!
Love ya all, Big John
pony
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 105
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Former Forum Host Clean Up The Kitchen Happy 15th Anniversary BINGO Spare Winter '23
BINGO Participant Winter '23 10th Anniversary Letter B BINGO Gutterball Winter '23 Christmas Music 2022
Holiday Participation 2022 Christmas Bauble 2022 Christmas Recipes 2022 Escape To Ponderosa
50th Anniversary Chat Holiday Decorations 2010 Chat Badge Fun Thanksgiving 2010

View all badges

Re: ADAM WHEN I WAS IN 7TH GRADE

Post by pony »

:howdy2 Big John, and first of all, allow me to add my word of :welcome to Bonanza Boomers!

Yowzers, "traumatic" is an understatement...! (And I thought "Who Shot J.R.?" was a cliffhanger!)

I had only recently seen a snippet of an interview in which PR alluded to the possibility that Adam Cartwright would be killed off to coincide with his departure from the show. I think we're all glad and relieved that this idea - for whatever reason - went by the wayside! It doesn't matter what anyone says: WE know Adam is still right at home on the Ponderosa, riding the range with his Pa and brothers! :ranch

:ben :adam :hoss :joe FOREVER.
Life is good.
Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 394
Stories: 5
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 34 Guess the Guest Star 5 - 2024 Happy 16th Anniversary
Library Author Holiday Participation 2023 Christmas Bauble 2023 Bonanza Ballads Level 33
September Song 2023 Bonanza Ballads Level 32 Big Library Story 2023 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 8
Bonanza Ballads Level 31 St. Patrick's Day Limerick '23 Happy 15th Anniversary Reader's Choice Level 9

View all badges

Post by Adamant »

:welcome I was only in elementary school and I never saw much of the promos apparently, because I was distraught when season 7 started and Adam was absent from the ride up to the camera. My mother explained that PR had left because he was tired of playing the part of a grown man who had to still defer to his father---I could understand that but I missed him soooooooo much. I remember seeing him on The Virginian and thinking initially that Adam had jumped shows but it was not to be---it was a different character but still handsome PR.
It's interesting how involved emotionally we can get with characters; I am still upset over Goren and Eames leaving L&O-CI and don't even ask about about when Logan (Chris Noth) was booted off L&O--I was a Logan Luster too!
Just a point of interest; I was in my first teaching job when John Lennon was shot. At lunch, one of the teachers (who I believe grew his own stash on his place out in the boonies!) said, had he known Lennon had been shot, he would have stayed home it, was so disturbing to him!
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous
angelface1961
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 101
Stories: 6

NaNoWriMo 2011 NaNoWriMo 2012 Group Member Letters to Santa 2012
Oscar Chat Chat badge Fun. Chat Badge Fun Meet & Greet chat
Meet & Greet chat Red White & blue Holiday Decorations 2010 Thanksgiving 2010
Easter Egg Hunt 2012 Pernell’s Birthday 2010 New Year's Spring Fling

View all badges

Post by angelface1961 »

:welcome Big John very traumatic...Bonanza was definitely not that much of an event in my life. Glad you are here.
mysterygirl
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 73

Group Member Meet & Greet chat Pernell’s Birthday 2010 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2011
Chat badge Fun. Chat Badge Fun Stuffed in chat Meet & Greet chat
Recipe Challenge Dan blocker's Birthday 2010 Red White & blue Holiday Decorations 2010
Thanksgiving 2010 Easter/Passover Thanksgiving  2011 Summer 2011

View all badges

Post by mysterygirl »

Big John, lots of people were devatasted by PR's departure from Bonanza. I love your line about "drown our sorrows in lemonade." Even today, it's hard for many to understand how someone could just walk away from it all. But thanks to reruns, Adam lives on in our hearts.
A Ponderosa Pine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 81
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: ADAM!

Administrator Anniversary Poem or Artwork Holiday Story Falling out of chat
Meet & Greet chat Meet and greet chat Meet and greet chat Meet and Greet Chat
Holiday Decorations 2010 Thanksgiving 2010 Easter/Passover Chat Badge Fun
Christmas 2013 Valentine's Day 2010 Winter Blues (2010) 4th of July

View all badges

Post by A Ponderosa Pine »

I'm glad I missed that announcement, Big John! I don't think I could have watched Season 6 thinking that Adam could be dead at any moment! :sob

Thanks for sharing that with us; your plans for the day after he died were cute! :grin

Pine :pine
:pine Pining for Adam
armadillo
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 22

100 Posts Valentine's Day 2011 Recipe Challenge Holiday Decorations 2010
Thanksgiving 2010 Christmas 2015 Christmas 2015 Christmas 2011
Summer 2013 Summer 2011 SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2010 Hidden Treasures Valentine
Fun with 12s Sadie Hawkins Day 2013 Fun with Quotes 2 September Song

View all badges

Post by armadillo »

I know where you're comin' from, Big John.

If you look in "Bonanza in Print", you can relive this subject in Peg's FLASHBACKS.

https://bonanzaboomers.com/forums/viewt ... =54&t=7115
https://bonanzaboomers.com/forums/viewt ... =54&t=7170

Peg seems to be keeping up "up to date" on the past. :cheer :cheer

Then you can start guzzling that lemonade!
Sassybrass
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 13
Stories: 2

100 Posts 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge Fun With Captions
Team Boomers Loses Time For A Commercial Break! Break the record (expired) Chat Badge Fun
Chat badge Fun. Pernell’s Birthday 2011 Surprise Surprise
Surprise

View all badges

Post by Sassybrass »

Hi, Big John! Welcome!

From what you said, maybe it's a good thing I found Bonanza through re-runs. It was bad enough seeing three ride up one time, and running to my Mom and asking what happened! I was so vexed! :mad
barb
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 132

100 Posts New Year's Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 Stuffed in chat
Meet and greet chat Meet and greet chat Meet and Greet Chat Holiday Decorations 2010
Thanksgiving 2010 Holiday Story Christmas 2012 Easter 2013
Easter Egg Hunt 2012 Easter/Passover Saint Patrick's Day 2012 Christmas 2013

View all badges

Post by barb »

Big John, I agree it was very disturbing to us Bonanza fans when Adam was no longer on the show. I remember sitting in english class writing what I considered a very eloquent letter to NBC (on notebook paper :laughing ) explaining all the reason every attempt should be made to entice PR back to the show.

I realize now, he did what he thought was best, but at the time I just wanted the Cartwrights together on my favorite show.

Barb
Adam's Girl
Buckaroo
Buckaroo
Badges: 34

100 Posts That's Who??? Surprise Surprise
Michael Landon's Birthday 2009 Dan Blocker Birthday 2009 Pernell’s Birthday 2010 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2010
Meet and Greet Chat Holiday Story Easter/Passover Valentine's Day 2010
4th of July SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2009 School Daze That's Who ??? 2

View all badges

Post by Adam's Girl »

Isn't that fascinating! Your memory is remarkable, Big John! I enjoyed your story---thank you for sharing! And a big Boomers Welcome to you, too!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”