The Music of Lorne Greene

He came from the North to settle in the West and made the whole world happy!
A place to discuss Lorne Greene.

Moderator: Tracy

Jim Barnsby
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

The Music of Lorne Greene

Post by Jim Barnsby » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Let this thread be a place where my fellow Bonanza Boomers can discuss their favorite Lorne Greene songs.

From 1964-1966, Lorne Greene released four Western-themed albums on the RCA-Victor record label.

Like the early 1960s albums of Frankie Laine, Lorne's albums are a world unto themselves in that these albums are not the historical "Wild West" of the 19th Century, but rather the fabricated, "remembered" West of the mid-20th Century with that era's pop culture trademarks. I could not describe this music any better than the back cover liner notes to the 2009 CD reissue of Lorne's album, The Man:

"Here are the virile, invigorating Hollywood Western tales of screen icon Lorne Greene. Recorded in the mid-1960s, at the height of his Bonanza fame, you'll hear a brew of tradition, lounge-pop affectation and spaghetti western mania. Witness the tense fuzz-tone of Pop Goes The Hammer, the chilling conclusion of The Search or the haunting, philosophical I'm A Gun. Bold arrangements by Joe Reisman and Anita Kerr."

On my daily journey to the salt mine that is my job, I listen to the vivid musical landscape that is Lorne's music. Portrait of the West, Lorne's last RCA album, is my most-played album, but I also adore Lorne Greene's American West. I tend to like every single song he does, but my all-time favorite Lorne Greene song is a toss up between "I'm a Gun" and "Endless Prairie." Take special care and listen to Anita Kerr's arrangements for "I'm a Gun"; they're spectacular. The mad whirlwind of "Endless Prairie" is a sound to behold--it features an absolutely brilliant musical accompaniment.

These albums are not just memorable for Lorne's superb vocal performances--the man was a truly great actor--but also for the mid-1960s atmosphere these songs conjure. The aforementioned fuzz guitar, Spaghetti Western mania, and brew of tradition are exactly how I imagine the mid-1960s "sounded" like.

An added quality to these albums is that they were recorded during Bonanza's peak period, in which it was the #1-rated American TV series. Let us never forget that "Ringo" was a US #1 hit single. Given the show's popularity, I would love to know how many copies Lorne's albums sold back then.

What are your favorite songs performed by Lorne? Let's discuss the heck out of these albums!

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Lorne Greeneland”